Lily's Foal Watch

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilysmom

Reaction score
I am a first timer and lily is a maiden. Today Lily is 333 days along. I am a nervous wreck and keep my eyes glued to her. I move her into her stall at night and have a camera hooked up to my tv so I can check on her without bothering her. Her bag is pretty full but when I can get anything out its sticky and yellow. Just waiting on the big day! Heres some pictures of my sweet girl
default_smile.png
The waiting is killing me

005.jpg

003.jpg

Hello Lily'smum
default_saludando.gif
and welcome to the nutty nursery
default_saludando.gif

Your little girl is adorable
default_yes.gif
and she looks close. Do you have any pics of the future daddy? Could you take a pic of her udder from behind and a pic of her tummy from behind so we can see how baby is sitting? Thanks

Renee

I will go grab those pictures now
default_smile.png
Im so excited. I dont have pictures of daddy he is 31" tall and a silver dapple...very cute guy

Not the best picture but she is not a fan of me being behind her lately......even trying to sneak a peek at her udder is risking a head shot LOL. Shes usually very friendly but has been very crabby lately.

001-1.jpg
003-1.jpg

yep she is looking good, a few more days I think but being a maiden I wouldn't take my eyes of her. Do you have to go to work during the day? who will be watching her if so?

Nope I am a stay at home mom so she is under 24 hour surveillance LOL. Her new thing started last night. she is digging massive holes in her stall. guess its just her being uncomfortable! I have the milk test strips but its kind of hard to use them when she wont let me have milk to test
default_yes.gif
She looked alot wider last week compared to todays picture. I havent noticed alot of movement from the foal lately. I have seen a few movements but nothing as strong as it was

Baby is getting big so there isn't room to move around anymore, that is a good sign that she is close
default_smile.png
which milk test do you have?

I have the mother natures mare foaling predictor kit....I just wish she"d let me have some to test. she is usually very sweet but lately has been trying head shots and when I can manage to hold her a try to get something Im only getting a few drops :arg! She has been butt scratching for several days but doesnt seem to be swollen or longated (maybe a little) but not as much as I woudl think with all the scratching. Im going crazy

This is why I just love the Foal-Time test strips cos you only need one drop. I am sure you will get enough milk tot test in a day or 2 and in the mean time perhaps wear a helmet
default_new_rofl.gif

oh I will have to check those out...I hadnt heard of those before. Ok I just managed to get a few drops....it was sticky and yellowish in color now im confused because it looks to be clear and stcky? at what point does that come into play...ive read clear and watery but not clear and sticky

Awesome Ill go check it out thanks a bunch. Ill keep you posted on her. Its nice to have someone to talk to. Thanks a bunch
default_yes.gif

Let me say Hi and Welcome too - great to have you join us here!
default_yes.gif

What a pretty mare - and I think you will be seeng a baby very soon from what you have been describing!

Just want to mention a couple of things. Please remove her headcollar as soon as she foals - too many accidents have occured with foals putting a leg through the noseband of their Momma's headcollar, either when trying to get to their feet when momma is laying down or later when playing and jumping at Momma's head. Also, have you got someone who could fix some boarding to the lower sides of your stall (up to a couple of feet in height would be enough if you dont want to board all the way up) there are quite a few gaps at the lower level where a foal's foot might go through and get caught. Hope you dont mind me saying?

Looking forward to lots more pics of your sweet girl - do you have any other minis coz we would love pics of them too.
default_yes.gif

Nice to meet everyone. Im in florida. I have 2 Horse and lily. She has been kept seperate from my bigger horses for the last month or so
default_smile.png
I dont mind any advice anyone can give Anna so no worries. The stall she is about 10 feet from my back door its not her permanant stall. Her stall is completely boarded but the camera wont reach that far so shes only in this until its born then she"ll go right back in her pen (which is where she spends her days
default_yes.gif
. Very good to know about the halter...as I wouldnt have thought about that so thank you very much for looking out for the little one. My little girls are driving me insane waiting on this baby. My oldest is 11 and my youngest is almost 9. Lily is their pet (their big dog) and they are so excited to see the baby. Lily managed to dig 2 more big holes in her pen today and this evening didnt want me anywhere near her, even managed to snick in a good bite. She didnt even want her grooming...normally she loves it cause shes been so itchy shedding out her winter coat. Guessing this might be a sign that she just might be getting close......geeze I really hope so
default_pray.gif

My maiden mare who foaled a week ago, had clear but very sticky colostrum at delivery. Every mare is different. Some have colostrum that is very thick, sticky and amber colored. Some have thin, clean and sticky colostrum and yet others have white milk that's very sticky at parturition. Usually it's very thick and sticky, no matter the color. But not always. If it's sticky, I'd be watching her closely.

These mini mares can foal with 'sticky' milk. From her pictures, I'd say she's very close!! It's good that you are keeping an eye on her! And WELCOME to this forum! There is a lot of great information here, for sure!!

castlerock im up near jacksonville
default_smile.png
Glad to here about the milk thing it is clear and sticky for sure so Ill keep a full watch on her tonight and keep everyone informed....shes standing still tonight. Usually she lays like a cow and sometimes flat but only for a minute or two....she hasnt laid down yet...ill let yall know
default_yes.gif

Nice to meet you Diane. Im Debra. Lastnight was uneventful. She laid down some but not near as much as usual. Shes looking a little stiff in the back legs this morning....baby must be pushing up against something. I am out to go feed everyone. Have a good morning

Good morning
default_yes.gif
I sure wish I could say we have a baby but not yet! She out in her pen eating her hay. Im off to take the kids to school and pick up some more hay. This cooler weather has Lily spunky. she ran a lap around her pen before she stopped to eat. Anyone else here have anyone close to lilys due date 5/1?

Latest posts

Back