Lily's Foal Watch

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question...The flies down here in florida are really bad this year....is there anything safe to spray the filly with so she no aggrivated by them so much?

Someone has to know of some type of fly spray safe to use on the babies????? Anyone?
default_smile.png

It's good that you had those vulva tears looked at. Sometimes they are significant; most of the time not. I used to get more concerned about them until my vet explained that they are just 'stretch marks' and not to worry about them. My maiden mare, Just Magic, who foaled this spring, also had some minor tears. They've healed now and all is well.

Lilys tears are healing great. her butt just started itching yesterday but all teh tears are scabbing over so I can imagine its itchy
default_smile.png
. She never seemed bothered by any of it. Only thing that is off is Ive read where mares will have a discharge for a few days....lily has not had any discharge that I can tell. that might be good i guess

figures I post the no discharge comment and come home today to a nasty butt....LOL but from what i read its the normal discharge....reddish brown color. I read yellowish white is bad....reddish brown is good.....is that true?

just want to make sure Im reading it right lol

Last edited by a moderator:
ok its thin bloodtinged..she has flapped her tail in it and all over her butt...needless to say it was a 1/2 bath night for her....tail and butt washed and tail wrapped for a few days LOL

I am so glad they are both doing well
default_smile.png

For the flies you can use simple vinegar in a spray bottle.

Wow I had no idea vinegar worked on flies.....wow. Im learning alot here...any other secrets I should know about....That maybe a good thread to start if enough people have natural or home remedies for different things
default_smile.png
. Renee Im glad to see you back on and glad to hear your boy is recovering
default_smile.png

Vinegar is a good fly repellent but it doesn't last a long time....seems to evaporate into thin air, so you might find you need to re-do thru-out the day.

Of course that said, the commercial sprays don't last a whole day either.

It's nice to use on the babies though it's free of chemicals and nice for people too, as I am allergic to commercial fly sprays.

If your horses will tolerate it ... I make a 'salad dressing' of corn oil and apple cider vinegar and drool it over their hay. Depending on

the time of the year the ratio changes to more vinegar or more oil.

More vinegar in the fly season / more oil in the winter and spring to help encourage them to drop those heavy winter coats and it seems to help with the dry skin itchies

Once the blood stream has a steady supply of vinegar in it you'll notice the horses are less affected by flies and mosquitoes as their

blood becomes less palatable to the insects.

I've never had a horse refuse it but others have told me their horses didn't like it.

It needs to be introduced slowly, of course.

I also introduce a small drip of apple cider vinegar, to water buckets, in advance of knowing I am trailering a horse off the farm.

They tend to not turn up their nose at 'foreign water' if you then give them a bucket at the show or where ever, and put a drop of apple cider vinegar in it.

Great idea Nancy
default_thumbup.gif
We used to feed garlic to horses years ago to stop the flies but recent studies show it isn't a great idea as it can cause anaemia.
default_thumbdown.gif

Im going to have to try the corn oil and vinegar...my horses here in florida get massiive winter coats and they take forever to come out.

Have another question. I know several people say not to use shavings in the stall when your expecting a foal but now that the filly is 3 days old I need to do a complete clean out of the stall....Can I now use the bigger shavings or should I stick with hay still?

Ive been using hay but the shaving soak up the urine so much better...with me leaving this weekend I wanted something better for the foal sitter to clean up LOL....I promise I will update with pictures today...hopefully the rain will hold off for a while
default_smile.png

yep we will be disney bound this weekend...rain or shine LOL. Its rained alot here but I can see the sun coming up this morning so we may have a few hours of clearing before more rain comes.

That makes it so much worse is when it rains and the heat stays...then your wet, hot and sticky LOL

Sorry but I wouldn't use shavings with a foal that young - still a chance of her getting bits or dust in her eyes or up her nose when she sleeps - also is her cord completely dry? I refuse to use shaving since one of my boys decided to eat them while picking over his 'clean floor area' for bits of food that he had dropped (many years ago now) He couldn't digest them of course, took a drink and they swelled up in his tummy, blocked his system and we lost him!

Please ccontinue to cover your shavings with plenty of hay or straw.

Hope the weather improves - have a great time anyway!!

thanks anna...I ened up buying the dust (super small) stuff but completely over covered it with hay...just needed something to soak the pee up better with. Theres so much hay she shoudlnt be able to get to it. Ive watched her extremely close since.
default_smile.png

I agree that it is much harder to clean their bedrooms with the straw or hay but I'm with Anna, bit to early.

I use our local grass hay for foaling and continue to use it for about 3 weeks to a month.

Then I start replacing it slowly with shavings. From the outset, I do bed Mom's pee spot with shavings as she

doesn't like any splashing on her legs - but I cover it with hay bedding on top.

Babies seem to like to snuggle down into the hay during nap times, too, especially in the early days when

they rest a lot.

Just bring the horse-sitter back an extra treat for her extra effort keeping Mom and baby tidy.
default_smile.png

LOL I have got to get you guys more pictures but the dang weather just is not cutting me any slack.....I am going out of town this weekend so I will try my hardest to get some tomorrow
default_smile.png
I promise

Latest posts

Back