Light weight 'bush bashing' carts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules

Reaction score
Have been driving a pair, and driving a bigger single. Now, I find myself with only one Mini (my original beloved Hercules) and I am thinking- what now?

I will keep my pairs carriage made by my husband as who knows what the future will bring but can't use it for Hercules as a single. I have my beautiful Silver Penny Farm timber show cart but I am finding myself now with the need for something lightweight, that I won't be 'precious' about getting scratched up and wet/dirty.

I naturally thought back to my Hyperbike dreams, but when I looked at the pricing, factor in shipping and import costs I would be looking at about $2200 all up, not sure I can really justify it.

My mini is 34" and pony type. What do you all use for just hooning about and having fun?

I am off to trawl some old posts to research now...

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved my Country Road cart,, but they are way more spendy than the Hyper Bike. ;)

I've never used a hyper bike, but from the looks of it to me the seat looks very comfy, but the rest of it looks to short and choppy. If it were me I'd look for a used easy entry and put some thing like a seat for a ridding lawn mower. That is if all you'r gonna do is trail ride, Who cares what it looks like.

I am still vaguely entertaining the HB thought, will have to chat to the lovely Bob about it, but in the meantime I bought what I could afford and have started modifying it. I just bought a cheapo easy entry. My plans are to extend the axles for stability. I have had my husband curve the shafts away from my pony as this photo from a few days ago shows.

I would also ideally like the shafts wider at the point they join to the cart body so that my lil guy can swing his hips, would love opinions on whether this would make turning easier or whether curving the shaft tips outward would be enough?

The singletree sits so that the traces are above the shafts as you can see in the pics. Should I do an axle draft and use a full collar, or just leave the singletree with breastcollar set up as it is?

The cart weighs 75lbs all up.

I bought a bag from Kingstons that fits under the seat for longer drives, I have bought a collapsible bucket for my pony and have added a cup holder for me....total essential in my opinion. We like to get curbside café service for coffees on a weekend (my pony always gets given a shortbread from the waitstaff) and I also *cough cough* may drink an apple cider occasionally which I suppose is technically drinking and driving?!

I have had a spot of difficulty with the breeching. The loops on the shafts are mighty close to the rings of the breeching on my pony's harness so it is hard to wrap when I am having to wrap every single bit of the hold back.

Any other ideas on kitting this out as the ultimate trail machine?

Image0_55.jpg

IMAG1559.jpg

Image0_54.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow - sounds like you've already got it all figured out.

Love that you are able to do curbside stops for "horsey shortbread's" and "a spot of cider". I'm soooooo jealous. Reminds me of the places in Germany where we drove thru and there'd be a house over a barn - right in town and I'd wonder if they rode to an outdoor café to snack...

As to the hold back straps - I can only offer you'd need to move them forward - and that can be difficult with the metal shafts. Like the way your other 1/2 curved the shafts. Can't answer on the width for the hips.

Because of the metal grill on the front of your cart, I'm not sure how to best do the single tree. I, too, have this issuen and in the end, I just leave it alone and "go".

I wish we could still go downtown for a coffee. Our hometown coffee shop closed. Your cart horse and harness look great. Which easy entry cart to you get by the way?

Deborah B, I am in Australia so did not have a lot of choice. I am not sure what brand it is -other than 'Made in China! I will say that I don't think it is as sturdy as the China carts that Kingstons sell though, as I have had some shafts, wheel etc sent to me from Kingstons in the US and the pipe used in their shafts are waaaaaaaaay stronger and heavier than the little cart I bought here.

Glad that others are stumped with what to do with the singletree as well, I have scratched my head no end about it. Paintponylvr, I think I will just let it be as it is too.

The axles are still not extendable but I took my boy to the beach for the first time yesterday. I have not been able to do it as I haven't had a cart that I would dare gt all sandy and salty. My pony LOVED it and his reaction to sand was hilarious, he kept digging big holes that he would practically fall in. He was scared of the waves to start with but by the end was trying to get in them himself and splashing around. The cart did well, the pneumatic tyres did not dig in too much. I will put some pics up, I can tell this knock about cart, my pony and I are going to have lots of adventures together!

IMAG1729.jpg

IMAG1732.jpg

IMAG1736.jpg

some more pics
default_smile.png

Image0_78.jpg

Image0_79.jpg

Image0_83.jpg

HA! Drove it today and had my first /mechanical' failure. The bolt that holds the seat on at the front, snapped. To be fair, it was loaded up with me and my two small children...but still....

The bolts did feel cheap and nasty and DH and I commented on that during construction. We will be replacing all the bolts with decent, high tensile bolts. To finish my drive up today, I used the fixed-end of a quick release shackle slid through instead of a bolt, I was quite proud of my McGyver solution.

Thought I would post in case anyone else has a similar Chinese cart. Oh and also, the wheel bearings on the pneumatic wheels that came with it are absolute rubbish. I am going to use my Kingston steel wheels on this vehicle for the most part, the wheels that came with it (as pictured above) where just more suitable for the sand yesterday.

Yes I have seen those cheap carts. Light weight for sure is the positive thing about them. Thanks for the update and good luck I am sure more than one person wishs we were on the beach with you!

Back