Liberty in Amha

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lexi

Reaction score

Registering for classes for a show in 15 days and I came across Liberty.

What is Liberty?

My stallion has been shown in liberty once before but I have no idea what it is.

Please help! Thanks!!
default_wink.png
:

Liberty is where you take your horse in the ring and you let him loose for a miniute and a half (I beleive that is the time) while playing to the music of your choice and you can have a partner in with you and you chace him around and try and get him to show of his movement. Then when the music stops you have 2 miniutes to catch him, if not caught in those two miniutes you are disqualified! Its really fun! I have never done it but I LOVE to watch it and I can't wait to do it!

Lots of people get noise makers or whips and use those to try and get the horse to move better!

Gage

You might want to watch it at this show before you show in a liberty class. You want to choose music that fits how the horse goes.

The horse is judged on movement and how much of a show he puts on, you know flagged tail, they love the trot, especially if it is floaty. Your horse should go in both directions of the ring, use the entire ring, and trot as well as canter. You are not allowed to touch the horse once it is turned loose and when it is time to catch, the person who turned the horse loose is the only one who can touch it. Your helper can block it, and turn it, but never, never touch.

Look at your AMHA rulebook for the class rules, if you don't have one, call and ask for one, and there is an older version (I've already asked them to update it) online at the AMHA website. The liberty rules are current so you will be fine with the old version.

This is a fun class, always fun to watch.

It is a fun class and no matter how much you practice or prepare at home the horse never acts the same in arena! It's usually a surprise. Either they're much better than you expect or muuuch worse! :new_shocked:

l find liberty one of the funnest classes to watch but l think sometimes some people pick the wrong music for the way there horses move. You know like a fast song and the poor horse is just barely moving around the arena and his handlers are more fun to watch running all over the place waving whips with bags on the end trying to get it to move along...then when the music stops and it's time to catch and halter them thats when they get the notion to start flying around kicking up the old heels having a good time :new_rofl:

I love liberty..........but one thing I hate is music with words in for liberty. I showed my appy this summer in liberty for AMHA, he impressed me, my action and the fact I could catch him. I used indian music.

Latest posts

Back