Liberty Classes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^T-bird89^

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone might be able to explain to me how they judge liberty calsses and what the rules are. I know you have to catch your horse in a certain amount of time and I've heard you get to play a "theme song" for your horse to perform to, but thats about all i know. If you know more, I would really appreciate it. Thank You

I think you have a minute of them 'performing' to music, preferably something with a peppy beat to it, then you have 2 minutes to catch them. You can have a helper in the arena with you for the class and if needed they can help you corner the horse to catch it, they are not at any time allowed to touch the horse. I believe they judge on movement and use of the arena, like do they trot or run in one little circle or do they get out and flag the tail and do the georgous movement around the entire arena, do they run the whole time and not trot or do they just trot and not seem very enthusiastic. Stuff like that. That is about all I know and can help you with. There are others on here that I am sure can tell you alot more. I think the more trotting, high action that the horse has, the more the judges seem to like it. Sorry, I can't be of more help.

Here is an article I wrote that is in my website if you want to see more:

Of all the classes that Miniature Horse clubs consistently offer, Liberty is my favorite. Not only is it fun to see your horse at liberty, it is also a huge crowd pleaser. Even non-horse people would be likely to enjoy watching this class the most... it has music, beautiful horses running wild and free, and depending on the exhibitors, the comedy of watching them try to CATCH the wild and free horse at the end!

What is Liberty? Liberty is a class that was designed to demonstrate the natural beauty of the Miniature Horse when it is free of any restraints. The horse is judged by it's natural style, grace, action, spirit, and ease of catching. The liberty horse is judged on its trot and canter, but any bucking certainly adds to the performance! Essentially, the horse is led into the ring alone by its handler and the handler's assistant. At NO TIME is the assistant ever allowed to touch the horse. The exhibitor waits until their selected music starts, and the halter is slipped from the horse's head. At that time, both the exhibitor and assistant encourage the horse to trot and canter and are allowed to use either whips or shaker bottles. At no time is the horse allowed to be touched when it is running free, even by the tip of the whip. Also, if the horse falls, the entry is disqualified. After one-and-one-half minutes of music, the music is stopped, and the exhibitor must then catch the horse and re-halter it within two minutes or be disqualified. Horses must be at least one year old to compete... as of January 1st of that year. A horse born in December of 2000 could show in Liberty as a yearling in January of 2001! (Not that I would ever recommend that!!!)

Music is required; generally music is carefully selected to fit the individual horse. If a horse has a lot of attitude and animation, a more sassy sort of music would fit. If a horse is more graceful and fluid, the music should reflect that. Any music can be picked, whether it is techno, classical, country, Gregorian chant, or even your very favorite song! Work your horse to many different music selections and see what fits your horse the best. Also, consider the show facilities and how the music sounds over poor loudspeakers... more intricate or quiet songs do not translate well to the show grounds. Some people also claim that country western or classical is usually a judge's favorite, but I say pick what you and your horse like!

The ideal liberty horse is one that likes to show off... they have spunk and attitude. When turned loose normally, the horse enjoys bucking, leaping, and flag their tails in the air. The horse must also posses a powerful trot and canter with smooth, floating gaits. The horse must be self-confident enough to run around a strange arena, and use the whole arena space. The horse must also be easily caught!

When showing the horse at liberty, it helps to have good "chasing" techniques. A shaker bottle is my favorite, as it is not obvious. Some people don't like them because they feel the noise can be distracting. To make a shaker bottle, you can use anything from coffee cans to soda bottles, and simply fill with marbles or small rocks. Others use whips, which can be altered by tying some sort of "flag" to the whip's lash. I personally feel that waving whips with plastic Wal-Mart bags on the ends is bad show, but to each their own! They do work well as they are obvious to the horse. It helps if the assistant and the exhibitor are used to chasing horses, and can read the horse's body language. They must know if the horse is going to stop, slow down, change directions, or even roll! Some horses are so tired of being clean at the show they just can't resist rolling in the dirt! It is important to make the horse show trotting and cantering... to get a horse to slow from a canter to a trot try reversing their direction. This can take practice and teamwork.

Liberty is not training-intensive. It is more based on natural behavior. In fact, the more you "practice" at liberty, the more likely your horse is to be burned out! They will act less "wild". One important thing you can work on is catching. Many people condition the horse to come to them by a gesture or cue. Simply turn your horse loose, use the cue to "come", and give the horse a treat. Bribing with treats of any kind is forbidden in the show ring, but at home works like a charm! Otherwise, you and your assistant must attempt to corner the horse and jump on it... the audience usually loves that but the judges sure don't! Remember the assistant may never touch the horse! Beyond that, just make sure your horse is healthy and fit enough to run around! (I have found that both the exhibitor and the assistant must be healthy and fit enough to run around, too!)

Very nice write up Disneyhorse and Liberty is MY favorite class too!! :bgrin

the only other thing I will add is that liberty is such a gamble the horse really has to be in the mood to be ON even the most amazing moving horse may not be in the mood that day and really sometimes even a much more dead head horse can have its moments
default_smile.png

Disneyhorse- That is a GREAT description of the Liberty Class, which is my favorite too. One thing I would add though, is I believe these are the AMHR rules and that the AMHA rules are very slightly different. For one thing, I don't think in AMHA that a horse is disqualified for falling, or at least I didn't see that in the rules. And you only get a minute and a half to catch your horse.

I would love to see a liberty class, we dont do anything like that over here
default_sad.png

its sounds like a great crowd
default_yes.gif
: pleaser

I would love to see a liberty class, we dont do anything like that over here
default_sad.png

its sounds like a great crowd
default_yes.gif
: pleaser
It is AWESOME!! The first time I seen a liberty class I almost cried it was so beautiful.

Thanks a bunch! It really helped- especially disneyhorse. Again, thank you

I too love to watch the liberty class
default_wub.png
: This is the best way to judge a horse for we get to see them move naturally. I have always thought that all horses would be judged best if each and every one was put into a ring without anyone at the end of the lead. That natural beauty really comes through in liberty!
default_yes.gif
: Mary

Can someone tell me what is the criteria for catching the horse--can treats be used? Or does the owner have to naturally catch the horse with no aids?

you cannot use treats to catch and only the handler can catch the horse. The person helping cannot ever touch the horse or you are disqualified.

Patches was undefeated in liberty until congress. Unfortunately liberty class was held after midnight and patches just could not function during her normal sleep time. We even walked her outside (it was cool out) trying to wake her up and it just didnt work. We were so disappointed as she was such a beautiful liberty pony all year!

Ive always wished shows would do liberty class first thing in the morning instead of last when the heat of the day but I do understand they do it in general to keep people at the show until it ends.

These are all great descriptions of the class. I have an extra tip to give, the less you chase and coax the horse the more points you will earn. If you have a horse that will move freely with no coaxing you may have a winning performance. I have one like this, and she has learned that when I turn and step back when she's going around the corner she will change direction. This is definately an added plus she's learned this by free lounging when I wanted her to change directions. Loungeing is a good way to teach a horse how to stop when music stops. After you lounge drop the whip, this will teach your horse that dropping the whip means that we are done working. Good Luck It's a fun class!

kaykay,

You should come to our Oklahoma shows. We ALWAYS have liberty 1st thing in the mornings. Took awhile to convince folks that would be fun, but we finally made it!
default_smile.png

Pam

If you're going to enter Liberty, keep the emphasis on FUN. It's a great way to release your horse's (and your) pent up energy after the "serious" classes. Liberty should be beautiful and entertaining, but this can be spoiled by poor sportsmanship or treatment of the horse that is less than kind.

Leave your stress for other classes...your primary goal should be to have fun with your horse.

Be certain that your horse enjoys Liberty and puts on a show without being forced. As Leeana said, keep whips and bags and such to a minimum and don't chase them.

Beware that the other horses waiting at the gate can be just too tempting to your horse, so you or your assistant should be near the gate -- you don't want your horse stopping to say hi or asking for a date.

Also, when turned loose, many horses want to roll...especially in a nice dirt arena that smells of many horses.

We don't train much for Liberty, but we do practice the catch. We clicker-trained Mingus to the command "halter"... he stands perfectly still or comes to Keith and sticks his head into the halter.

Have the halter ready tp put on, not twisted or crumpled in the dirt somewhere, and choose one that buckles easily.

Pick music that fits your horse...and consider music other than pop -- one of the most beautiful Liberty performances I've seen was to classical music. On the other hand, lyrics that match your horse's attitude can be a hoot!

Sometimes your hhorse will do something that may not win the blue but delights the crowd. At one show, Mingus kept "buzzing" the judges...every time he ran behind them, he cut his turns closer. Another time, an adorable tiny col6 would pass the grandstands with tail flagged and hhead high in the air, screaming like a wild stallion...too cute! I also watched one horse trot up to the judges' table and try to pick up a trophy!

So have a blast!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at a clinic here in Illinois last month, and Marvin McCabe, an AMHR Judge, was one of the speakers. He gave us the "point system" that he at least (I assume this is true for all AMHR Judges) uses for judging Liberty. Scoring is as follows: Music --------- 10 points (he indicated "appropriateness of music selection")

Style --------- 10 points

Grace --------- 10 points

Animation ----- 15 points

Gaits -----------15 points

Presence ------ 15 points

Ease of Catch - 10 points

Use of Ring ---- 15 points

lol at the Area 1 show last year there was this horse..he would run around the center booth in the ring..pick up the flowers and run madly around the ring carrying them! it was cute as could be! lol made for some good entertainment!

Latest posts

Back