Lets start a list for hard to buy people

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
I could not think of what to buy my brother and my husbands cousin.

They have everything being both retired:

So looked on the net, and found this. ordered 2 today.

Any other good ideals..

xmasclock.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
For my hard to buy people I give a what I call memory things. My brothers do not come home for Christmas so I send them some of the

Swedish foods we used to have at home that they no longer get. Lingonberries, a frozen oven pancake to cook on Christmas morning, Swedish cookie, Swedish meats. Home made stuff their wives will not make.

My older aunt we take out to eat after Christmas is over.

My best friend for over 50 years and I have always exchanged gifts since before kindergarten

I buy one piece of a snow village for her every Christmas to re-create our old neighborhood back home in Connecticut. I buy the ones made by Hearland that you can purchase from Ace Hardware. They are beautiful, well made, and of good size. I have already sent to her in the past Christmas's, houses that resemble each of ours, and some others on our street where we grew up, a couple of churches, schools, our favorite bakery, the library where we got our first Dr. Suess books, etc. She's got plenty of room in her home to set up her display every year. This year I bought the skating pond and two girl figures (us) that look like the old pond we used to skate at as children.

I have so many "hard to buy for" people. I don't like buying clothes for people, what if it doesn't fit or they don't like it. I think it's a pain to return things. For the ladies, jewelry is always good, even costume jewelry...it doesn't have to be expensive just not look too cheap. In the past I have bought makeup/fingernail polishes/lotions for my sister-in-laws. My sister-in-laws are both flight attendants so one year I bought them nice big insulated lunch bags (they take food with them when they can to save $)...in it I put food (microwaveable mac n cheese, cereal in bags, single packs of coffee w/a small mug, oodles of noodles (they make this in the coffee pots on the planes...lol)..all kinds of foods that don't have to be refrigerated) and then I gave them gift cards for places like bk/mcdonalds/wendy's/arbys ($5 each), they really liked that. Of course a purse/wallet is always nice too.

For the men in my family...all our outdoors types so things like flashlights, handwarmers, pocket knives, etc always seem to be a hit. Camo fleeces/hunting socks, etc...one is a bull rider so anything with PBR on it he loves.

For my nieces I always give them something that suits thier personality and then usually gift cards, they are all in college now and they like the gift cards...I just do the visa ones so they can use them anywhere, they even use them for gas which is fine by me.

My one niece and sister are into horses, they are easy....horsepeople are so easy to buy for. I have a tack store not far from me and I can go in there and come out in 10 minutes with gifts for her and my sister and be done...from things like grooming products, figurines, belt buckles, calenders, etc...they are so easy to buy for...if it has a horse on it, they'll love it!

I am all done shopping (thank Heavens, I hate to shop), all wrapped and shipped them out yesterday (all my family is in other states).

Hubby and I aren't buying for each other this year...we are saving our money for an off road jeep that we both want, so that will be our Christmas present to each other.

Great ideals
default_aktion033.gif

Only one fiend to buy for now.. will see here what will be the best gift to look for when I shop in a couple of days.

So glad I am just about finished, now need wrapping paper to get these gifts wrapped, our family Christmas is Sunday.

So hope weather is good for traveling.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

One year my daughter-in-law got me a gift card to Cracker Barrel from the grandsons. I had a blast with it! Since I listen to books on cd when I travel I rented one of their books. After turning the book back in and getting refunded all but the $3.50 rental fee I went on a spending spree...a blouse with a horse on it, products from Burt's Bees, and lots of hard to find old fashioned candies. There is something for everyone at Cracker Barrel...even meals ha/ha!

One year a dear friend of mine arranged for me and hubby to have a weekend stay prepaid at our choice of Choice Hotels. Off to Fredericksburg we went! One in a million friend.

Last year at work for our Chinese Christmas gift swap I took a huge bottle of Rainbath by Neutrogena purchased from Sam's Club. People were literally taking it away from each other! At our family (swap) the women go for home decor, purses, and jewelry. Men for tools, knives, and lotto tickets.

Sportsy guys I like to buy gifts cards to places like Bass Pro, Academy, Cabelos, or Gander Moutain. I shop for clothes to fit Dad since mom passed and he has put on weight.

I like to receive and send from Harry and David's. Yummy. Never found anything non-delicious from them.

I also plan on buying gift cards to Ebay, Amazon.com, etc. because they are less likely to remain unused in a wallet like I am guilty of doing if it means "go to mall."

If I had elderly people on limited income to buy for I would be looking at gift cards to grocery store, Walmart, oil change places, etc. One time I bought lots of my grandad's favorite snacks and had the flower shop put them in a gift basket that was designed in what looked like a hot-air balloon because he was very special and I wanted him to know it.

Great ideals
default_aktion033.gif

Only one fiend to buy for now.. will see here what will be the best gift to look for when I shop in a couple of days.

So glad I am just about finished, now need wrapping paper to get these gifts wrapped, our family Christmas is Sunday.

So hope weather is good for traveling.

Thanks all for your suggestions.
I'm glad you only have one fiend to buy for. Whew! You could be in MY family and have several!
default_new_rofl.gif

What I got my difficult mother this year is Netflix. She loves getting a movie in the mail.

The oil change is a great idea, too! I've done that for our rural mail carrier and this year the oil change guy threw in his own donation of a tire rotation; he has the same mail carrier.

The UPS guy loves a Subway card; he eats there every day while on his rounds.

I'm glad you only have one fiend to buy for. Whew! You could be in MY family and have several!
default_new_rofl.gif

What I got my difficult mother this year is Netflix. She loves getting a movie in the mail.

The oil change is a great idea, too! I've done that for our rural mail carrier and this year the oil change guy threw in his own donation of a tire rotation; he has the same mail carrier.

The UPS guy loves a Subway card; he eats there every day while on his rounds.
thanks Marsha, wish my spell check would pick up on this..
default_wacko.png

but more great ideals.

Daniel has become impossible to buy clothing for. What I think is "nice and appropriate" he thinks is not cool enough. No matter what I would bring home, he returns it. NOT THIS YEAR!

This year I am making him a "care package" of things he needs and uses starting off with his very own laundry basket so he will stop stealing mine and running us out of certain household stuff. I'm filling it for everything he needs and insists he cannot live without for his "man cave" that he made out of his bedroom for the comfort of he and his friends to kick back and watch the big screen tv that his lucky duck self won this summer in a raffle. He has a tiny refridgerator in there and a rubbermaid where he keeps snacks so I'm doing him a couple of cases of Dr. Pepper, bags of chips and junky snacks, get him his very own plasic cups and plates to match his "man cave decor", his favorite shampoo and soap, personal items like that, his own laundry detergent because my discount brand is not good enough for Mr. Royalty, band aids and neosporin because he always hurts his fingers on the job, heck I'm even going to wrap up 4 boxes of extra large Fruit Loops and his very own beach towel because he's forever complaining about our bath towels are too small. I might need two laundry baskets!Then he's getting a can of Lemon Pledge and window cleaner too and that's a big hint! HAHA!

I'll fix him good this time!

Everyone that provided us with a list is getting what they asked for, and everyone else was at the mercy of my "it seemed like a good idea at the time" method of Christmas shopping. Kids over the age of 10 get a gift card taped to a giant candy bar; my DOH keeps asking for a Nerf gun (even though I'm the only person in the house for him to terrorize), but I don't even bother trying to guess what actual kids want anymore.
default_rolleyes.gif

My grandmother is the absolute worst to shop for because she simply buys anything she wants or even thinks she *might* want. Every surface in her home and office is piled high with catalogues, so it's rare that you can find something she hasn't already seen. She loves the old windmills on some of her farms, and there's a local artist that does some very neat, very stark rural landscapes, so we had one of his windmill prints framed for her, and I've already found a place in the office to hang it. Also, the man that used to care for her saltwater tank stopped doing cleanings recently, so we're going to sneak into the office later this week, clean the tank, and put in some new live rocks and fish (I've got instructions on the cleaning and asked which fish are ok to add so no old favorites go belly up or get eaten). Christmas morning we're taking her to the movies too; with her gifts, "doing" usually turns out better than "buying."

Mo's dad is hard to buy for too. He's a hunter, but not a very successful one, and he likes to try different things, so we're giving him a meat box (how fancy does that sound?). I'm getting a couple kinds of venison that can be sized for individual meals from my father, then we're getting him some buffalo meat from a local farm, individually wrapped filet mignons and some alligator jerky. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for other stuff to add before we see him on Thursday.

Then there's my 1 1/2 year old nephew. He's the only baby in the family right now, so he has everything a baby could want and then some. I've been trying to convince the rest of the family to open a savings account/college fund for him that we could give to every holiday, but no luck so far. My sister lives much closer to him, so I feel heavily disadvantaged in the race to become the "favorite" aunt. He loves the movie Cars, and Mo's grandmother works in the legal dept for Disney, so she sent us an oversized framed promo poster that we're going to give him for his bedroom. I'm feeling pretty smug about that since it's not something you can get in the store. Plus he should be even more "aware" by the time the sequel comes out next year. (I'll probably bring a Plan B gift along too in case he's not impressed by something he can't play with.)

On a side note, when my siblings and I had all first gone out on our own, our mom gave us care packages just like the one Marty mentioned, and at first I was like - "Laundry detergent? Aspirin? Thirty-six rolls of toilet paper?!" - but after a month of not running out of anything I was feeling pretty grateful toward dear old mom. An economy sized pack of toilet paper is definitely the gift that keeps on giving when you're young and broke.
default_yes.gif

I do something within our family much like Marty though a bit different. I make mental and sometimes written notes all year when one of our adult children need to borrow from me or dear old Dad and at Christmas we try to give them the items they have had to borrow from us in the last year. This year my DIL is getting a step stool of her very own. lol I also listen throughout the year and do a joke gift for someone. My SIL has been the recipient several times. One year it was towels as he had been complaining that with teenagers in the house he never could find a clean dry towel. That Christmas he got a small laundry basket with new towels laundry soap, dryer sheets and instructions on how to wash towels since he had made the comment that he didnt know how to operate their new washer. This year my grown daughter is getting a Monopoly game since a few weeks ago she came to borrow mine. If you live close enough to listen, what to give is a piece of cake. My hard to buy for are those who live where I cant hear their needs/ wishes during the year and for them I also usually do gift cards that can be used anywhere.

Latest posts

Back