Legal Calming supplements for AMHR shows?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have never TRIED to calm any of our horses for showing, but I did find that as a side effect of a supplement I was using. I use Remission on an insulin resistent mare (to help prevent founder) which has the same ingredients - magnesium and chromium - as Quiessence. I actually had to cut back on the dose because it seemed like she was getting a bit too calm to handle all the performance classes she was entered in. I imagine that would have to be a legal supplement as it has benefits in terms of glucose metabolism and preventing founder.

Okay...now I get it.
default_wink.png
As for the testing that I know of that is done here at any show grounds, it is only urine testing...and I have watched a couple of the guys who take the samples. Some of them are pretty good at getting what they want.
default_laugh.png

As for not worrying about a substance just because it is "herbal", or "natural"...watch out for that, and don't make such assumptions. I have been told that a lot of those products will give a positive result on a drug test...a drug is a drug, even if only in it's most natural form. Heck, marajuana is "only an herb", right?? And what is more "natural" than poppy seeds...???
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

Okay...now I get it.
default_wink.png
As for the testing that I know of that is done here at any show grounds, it is only urine testing...and I have watched a couple of the guys who take the samples. Some of them are pretty good at getting what they want.
default_laugh.png

As for not worrying about a substance just because it is "herbal", or "natural"...watch out for that, and don't make such assumptions. I have been told that a lot of those products will give a positive result on a drug test...a drug is a drug, even if only in it's most natural form. Heck, marajuana is "only an herb", right?? And what is more "natural" than poppy seeds...???
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

Exactly my thoughts so need some guideline as what is and isnt considered a drug.

Exactly my thoughts so need some guideline as what is and isnt considered a drug.
Yes, thanks... I was just wondering if there was anything... I don't badly need to give any horses anything, but would way rather be safe than sorry. I'm never about breaking any rules!!! I know some rules are broken out of ignorance, and I try not to do that either!

Andrea

Good Afternoon,

Been following this thread and wanted to give you some examples. I have a list (consist of 60 pages) of drugs that have a withdrawl time and how each state rates that drugs timeline. I'll give you an example of one drug that a lot of people will use to "cut the edge" off of their horses that is given so that they can be clipped:

Acepromazine is one drug.... for California it's 96 hours, for Canada it's 36 hours (depending on dosage) and Deleware it's 7 days.

How many of you use DMSO?, again depends on the dosage and if given topical, oral or IV....36 hours on it for most states, Kentucky and Texas is 25 hours.

Just wanted to give some examples of what we think are safe that will show up in a drug test if used within that time line.

Karen

Latest posts

Back