Supplements

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

PaintMeAMini

Reaction score
Does anyone give their minis supplements? If so what kind and how much? Thank you I’m advance! :)

LostandFound

Reaction score
I do. I tried a coat supplement last year that didn't do anything. But I just switched to a different one, and remission. I give a half a horse dose. Which actually might be why it didn't work.

Marsha Cassada

Reaction score
I've used Dynamite products for almost 20 years. Consult with whichever company you choose about which is best for your area; I do not want extra selenium, and mine is for horses on pasture. I use the recommended dose. Also supplement with prebiotics.
I do think supplements are important. People who say miniature horses can live on air boggle my mind.

Abby P

Reaction score
They can live on air, as long as the minerals are reasonably balanced! 🤣

I use a ration balancer (Triple Crown, what used to be the "30", not the Gold). Then I also give him non-iodized salt, some extra vitamin E, psyllium because he's prone to fecal water, and right now he's getting extra magnesium and chromium in the form of Quiessence.

I dose according to weight - of both the pony and the supplements. :) I don't rely on the companies' included scoops but figure out what a serving should be for him and use a kitchen scale to determine the volume I need to feed.

Marsha Cassada

Reaction score
They can live on air, as long as the minerals are reasonably balanced! 🤣

I use a ration balancer (Triple Crown, what used to be the "30", not the Gold). Then I also give him non-iodized salt, some extra vitamin E, psyllium because he's prone to fecal water, and right now he's getting extra magnesium and chromium in the form of Quiessence.

I dose according to weight - of both the pony and the supplements. :) I don't rely on the companies' included scoops but figure out what a serving should be for him and use a kitchen scale to determine the volume I need to feed.
Yes, I have to figure out the correct dose according to weight. If I am in doubt, I have the company advise me. I always throw away those little scoops that come in supplements and use a measuring spoon once I've figured out the amount.

Why do you use non iodized salt? I use a pink mineral salt from my supplement company, but have used table sale in the past to top dress. Cannot remember whether it was iodized or not...

chandab

Reaction score
I keep most of the scoops that come in supplement tubs, because even if they aren't the right size for that supplement for the size of the mini in front of me, they might be right for another, and I don't have to buy scoops. My favorite scoop is the double ended teaspoon/tablespoon scoop; it works well for many supplements for miniatures.

Latest posts