Leather vs. Synthetic Harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHich do you like better

• Leather

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Synthetic

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Prefer synthetic to work with (doesn't get moldy), but of course we show with leather.

I have a beta harness, a leather harness, and a nylon harness..the beta I LOVE for the ease of cleaning, just hose it down and it looks new, its flexible in cold weather and handles like a leather harness, but the leather-- always makes a horse look so much better in it, just something about leather, besides looking nice and smelling good! The leather one is harder to clean, and will mold, and my training harness is a nylon web one, very easy to clean too--I just throw it in the wash maching, but doesnt look the greatest on a horse, and definitely not for showing..but do-able for training. That one does get dirty fast with loose hair etc, and should be kept clean so the dirt spots dont rub on the horse. Corinne

I have each. Like them for different reasons.

Depends on when and where you drive, how much time you have to clean.

I like the Syn harness...is very easy to care expecially if you have mares. Cleaning mare pee and in season mare pee of leather.... :new_shocked: lets just say its not fun. :bgrin

Just got the Freedom Collar which is a combo of both and very nicely made. I think I am going to buy Theia's harness from them this summer.

I would recommend getting the best Quality you can afford. Cheaper in the long run to just buy the well made & safe ones in the first place.

I picked synthetic. I have one patent leather show harness, a Lutke (synthetic show harness), 2 biothane harnesses that look like patent leather, and a beta biothane / betathane harness that looks and feels like leather. I love the easy clean up and long lasting qualities of the biothane and betathane harnesses.

For a well trained cart horse, synthetic is great, easy to keep clean. That is the nice beta style synthetic, not the plastic looking type. If it is for a very green horse I would only use leather, it gives and and doesn't cut like some synthetics if the horse should bolt.

Latest posts

Back