Learning to drive a mini

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamrockmommy

Reaction score
I thank you all for your good answers about feeding and pasture setup
default_smile.png

My next question is... is is feasible to train a mini to drive? I am looking at some minis at a breeder (shows) but they are only just halter trained. I have trained dogs in the past and I am reading as much as possible about horse behavior. My DD takes riding classes and Im asking as many questions as possible there.

I plan to start with ground work/manners. Then longeing (with a cavesson/long line). Then things like obstacles/horse agility.

Then move on to putting a bridle/surcingle with long lines, ground driving, and slowly working up to actual driving with a cart.

I'm waiting on the breeder to get the email of one of her friends who drives minis, so that I can go ask questions, and maybe even take a few classes from her as well.

What do you think, doable?

Also If I work the horses 3-4 times a week, is it enough to keep them fit?

What is your training schedule like? How much time training is enough? (For dogs, I usually stick to 10-15 minutes.)

Thanks
default_smile.png

Check out the driving forum! And do some searches in that forum for good answers. Driving is so much fun! Here is my boy today with the Headstart children. One thing I like about driving is the ability to share my little horse with so many different people and different activities.

headstart1.jpg

I would love to train my mini Misty to drive too. She will be 4 in May, I've had her since she was 5 months old! Didn't want to work her too hard while she was growing, her first 2 years I just did halter training, bonding and of course spoiling. Last spring, summer I worked more with halter, obstacle course training, walking over low jumps etc. Also have done a little ground work with surcingles, a halter and 2 long lines walking behind her! This year will be saddle breaking so I can give my grandchildren rides before they get too big!!! I have been told in the past to take driving lessons myself first so I understands the mechanics of it. I did take over the reins with a pony that was my friends when I myself was a kid, I had the big guys growing up. So that was a long,long time ago!!!!! lol I need to really search and look into lessons. Shamrockmommy, have you driven horses before?? How old is your mini? So you have a cart, harness?? I guess if I find myself some lessons I will start buying my equipment including a cart. Do you have any horses now? I was like you and asked about a billion questions and did lots of reading up even before I got my minis!! I grew up with the big guys, had quarter horses but that was in the dark ages!! This forum is the best resource there is!!! The people here are so kind, very knowlegable about the minis and just fun to chat with. Nothing is too much trouble or hard, everyone helps each other, they support and are happy for you with the good, support and show compassion when times are tough or sad.

Marsha, I think it is awesome that you spend time sharing your mini with headstart children. It is so kind of you, I'm sure it touched their lives with a positive experience!! I am a retired kindergarten teacher from a private school but we have a huge headstart enrollment in our town!!! Maybe one day I can do the same as you do for the children in my town!!! Thank you for sharing with those kids, it is a wonderful thing you do!!!!!!!

I don't have any minis yet, still in my information-collecting-mode.
default_smile.png
I do have a breeder close to me and we've seen the horses 3 times now. They have a lovely setup and have been very helpful, but then I get such conflicting info from my other 'horse' friends that it's just as confusing as can be! LOL

I am waiting on the email of my breeder's friend who drives, and hopefully I can learn the ins and outs from her.

The good news in all this, I guess, is I have about a year before we can begin work on a little barn and fence for them, so can decide if it's workable. It's actually very workable, we only "vacation" for two weeks out of the whole year, but I think we can work around that as well.

Back