Leading Horse with Halter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky

Reaction score
default_unsure.png
I have been going on walks with my new 10 year old gelding mini. I've had him one month. One lap around property (5 acres) about twice a week. I thought it would be good bonding for us. But.... I don't know.... He does not want to walk and half the time he tries shaking his head to get me to let go where I am holding the lead rope with my right hand. Am I hooking onto the halter at the side with lead rope and holding it where it hooks with my right hand and the rest of the rope with my left hand and walking beside him. When we start he doesn't want to go. So I pull on the rope to get him started. Then sometimes he stops and I have to pull on the rope and coax him to go. I thought well maybe I should get a treat and give him. So the last 3 times I have given him a treat at the end of our walk. But, he still doesn't want to start the walk and acts up. Should I give him more slack on head with right hand? What am I doing wrong??? Thank You for any help or advice u can give me!

From what I understand you said you are hooking to the side of the halter, right? Well most times the lead is hooked to the loop under the chin not the side so if that is what he is used to that may work better. I also usually put about 4-6 inches between the buckle and where I hold my hand unless the horse is being fiesty. Hope that works for ya!
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, hook it under the chin, and hold it more losly so he doesn't need to turn his head to you while walking, if you hold the lead so close to the halter you are not giving him enough space. If he stops move back between his neck and shoulder to encourage forward movement, if that doesn't work turn and face him and turn his head to the right until he moves his front then do the same on the left, then try to go forward again.

It might not have anything to do with how you are leading him, although it is usual to attach the lead and hold it as Maple Hollow said. It could be that he is a bit "barn sour"" and doesn't want to leave his comfort area or his herd. Is he the only equine you have, or is he leaving a buddy? Many -or even most - horses do not like leaving the barn, which is how the term came into being. Does he walk better coming back? If he is barn sour, the best thing is to keep going on the walks, and maybe try different paths or directions.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of people do not realize that body language has a lot to do with leading a horse....big or small. First, when he acts up do you look at him? Also, are you truely beside him or do you get out in front and try to pull him along? In a herd, the look means a challange....a way for a head mare to tell others to back off that they are about to kick or bite. Also, if a horse approaches another horse that they are not familiar with, they rarely do so from behind because a butt shown toward another means that a kick is being thought of and will happen if you approach. So if you look at him you are telling him to back off. Then you get just enough in front of him and he sees that as a threat I am going to kick.

Get your lead correct as others have stated above. Then get your pony at your side with your shoulder even with his neck...not his head. Get him use to forward motion from there then when he is relaxed he will follow you in such a manner. If he is herd or barn sour, turn him around and leave out from the barn herd area backwards. He will quickly think that is no fun and be much more open to following you.

You guys are great! I very much appreciate all your help! I went out and walked just a little bit ago. He was very nice this time. I put the lead under chin and gave him more slack. I turned to start the walk instead of trying to pull him and that worked good. He stopped when I stopped and went when I went. But now there is another problem...... Oh my.... I wanted him to walk beside me. Maybe before he walked behind someone, don't know. I was on his left side and gave him slack, but, he was constantly behind and when I would try to slow down where his head was beside me, he thought we were stopping and then when I got his head in the right spot he was constantly too close to me, so I would have to hold the rope out on the right side while I was on the left side to keep his head out away from me. I don't know how to correct that problem of him leaning into me while we walk side by side.... I guess just keep pushing him away...
default_wacko.png
Our walk was better even though he was crowding me. At least he was not being stubborn and he has a pony friend next door. He left his pony friend and walked without very much problem. I gave him a little treat when we were finished and petted him and let him go.

Just a thought about the treat at the end of the walk. It could lead to him rushing to get home since he gets a reward for reaching home. I'd be inclined to stop half way, give him the treat and then take him home. Makes going out a good thing and home is its own reward.

Too me it just sounds like he doesn't know how to lead period. I would take a riding crop, or something similiar and if he tries to get behind me I will take that object and tap him on the butt. If he comes forward where he needs to be leave him alone and keep on walking. If he gets too far forward or crowds you pivot him away from you.

If he is "barn sour" work him near the barn. Then the place you are working with him currently once you work him at the barn take him out there and thats the time to relax. Just sit with him, brush him, thats where you give him the treat. If he starts messing with you again take him back to the barn and work him again. But IMO this is a leading issue.

Thank you soo much for your input. I think you are right, he doesn't know what I want. I think that you don't realize what you don't know until you find out info and then you realize you are totally stupid. For lack of a better word.
default_biggrin.png
He doesn't know how to lead and I don't know. He's my first exposure to a horse. Poor guy....
default_yes.gif

I read this article a few minutes ago and it was really good. Here is the link:

http://successinthepen.blogspot.com/2009/06/trainig-showmanship-horse-updated.html

I thought I try it. Sounds like it would teach him to walk by my side.

Check it out and let me know what you think?

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE

There is an old saying "Practice Makes Perfect", just keep at it. I read the link and other then the war bridle, cause you can use a stable halter, I agree with the body position of the shoulders and being postioned at the throat latch. Keep your hands light and if you practice and praise enough he will soon understand what you want. Pretty soon he will be able to lead him without a lead rope just your hand in position. You want to keep him light in the head just in case you do want to do showmanship, obstacle or driving. So don't pull on him.

My boy walks behind me sometimes, especially when he doesn't want to be bothered. He will also scoot over and walk on my left! Good luck

Latest posts

Back