Lazy stud

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whimsical

Reaction score
I have seen post on here about over aggressive studs and I have one of those too in the backyard. But one of my stallions seem to have lost his drive. He talks the talk but when it come to the action he fizzles out. Now last year he was more aggressive than this.

Could there be a medical issue? Has anyone else experienced this?

I love this guy and would love to have babies from him. How do I light his fire?

How old is this stallion? Is he new to breeding, or is he an old pro at it but now this year has fizzled out to where he's all talk, nothing but talk?

I am sorry. Guess I should put a little more detail. He is 4 year old. We bred him when he was 2 to 1 mare that he got in foal (we were and still are a small farm). Last year due to the medical issues with mare loosing her foal due to malposition we bred him in late July to the same mare and also to a new mare that we got but we only got a few days of breeding in before the mare weren't cycling anymore. They didn't get in foal. But he at least followed through. This year is another story.

I wasnt going to respond to this because I am far from an expert but is it possible that your boy has a bean that is causing him some pain when he drops? I ask this because we had a stallion who is very laid back and he was hesitant as you say your boy is . I had him checked last spring for beans and he had one big one and two smaller ones that vet said could have caused him some pain when dropped. Got them taken care of and we have 3 mares bred to this boy for this Spring and summer. He still is more a lover than an aggressive boy but he does get the job done. Older mares are still a bit frustrated with him as he likes to groom and court them but when time is right he has no further problems. Even with a mare who is 4 inches taller than he is. Good luck and this was just a thought.

I just went through the same thing with Nick actually.

I was trying to breed him to Holly for another Timmy Jr. (God help us all)

and he was mounting and going through the motions but without the talleywhacker ready. :new_shocked:

Then he'd back off and curl his nose up in the air like "this stinks"......... :eek: :eek: :eek:

I cleaned out his......woohoo and yes we had a bean, but still not doing well. :no:

I finally used a jump mare to be sure he wasn't suffering from erectile dysfunction
default_wacko.png
:

but the jump mare proved that was not the problem. :aktion033:

I'm going to have Holly checked for an infection or a possible cyst.

I also think that it's possible that the stallion knows when the mare is not ovulating even though she shows heat signs.

A breeder once told me that the "stallion knows" more than we do and sometimes we just have to trust in our stallions to know when it's right.

hmmmmmmmmm food for thought .

Thanks for all the responses.

Now can anyone tell me how to get a "bean" out?

How do you get him to extend out to check?

Tie a "ready" mare near the fence where he will be --- and he'll extend :bgrin Just be ready to move over quickly as they usually "do a dance" instead of just standing still.

I had that happen to one of my stallions several years ago and the Vet came and gave him a shot and he was fine thereafter. I don't recall the name of the shot but I'm sure your Vet would know.

Joyce

Latest posts

Back