Lazy Lunging!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been working with my 2 year old gelding for a few weeks now. Taught him to lunge very easily. BUT, he drives me crazy! He is sooooo lazy. Any other ideas for conditioning him? Or any ideas on how to motivate him and get some energy out of him on the lunge line??

Thanks!

Yes, i had same problem when mine was two. Use a whip. He is three now and has plenty of energy.

Lildrummer
default_smile.png

I have very limited experience in training. But, you bring up a very valid point. I have thought of this often. I have had several horses that were "lazy". I blamed myself...that I was just not asking the horse in the correct way, etc. Well, I bought a yearling filly put her in the round pen one time. "Asked" her to work and the next day I opened the gate to the round pen, went to the center and she was working before I could ask. She has taught me. So my point being...Do you think that some are bred to work? Is it in their breeding? I spoke with the gentleman who bred the mare and he said that all of this stallions foals enjoy working.

With her...right after coming out out of the round pen I have a bit of feed in my pocket. Bless her heart she is like me and will do just about anything for a snack!!! While she is chewing she is brushed and her coat conditioned. Maybe she is just a "girly girl" and enjoys the Diva attention.

Good luck with your gelding. I am sure some of the pros on the forum will have plenty of ideas to help you (us)!

Thanks for posting!

I would also use a lunge whip to motivate him. I think if you can pop him on the butt with it a few times (once each time he slows down), you'll get the point across and there after, should just need to pop it in the air when he needs a reminder to pick up the pace. Good luck!

I have had the same problem in the past and still do on occasion and it is usually due to MY positioning. Make sure the the triangle you make which is formed by the horses body from head to tail, the lunge line to you which forms the point and the whip which makes the third line of the triangle are at the proper angle. You dont want your triangle to look like a perfect 45 degree angle on each point you want it more like a 90 degree where the whip and butt meet. Basically, make sure that your body is not inline with his barrel or back, you want it to be either directly inline with his butt or just slightly behind it. So your triangle is at a 90 degree angle or just a little obtuse. You need to be driving them from behind in order to get them to propel forward at a faster pace. If you are at their shoulder you are going to tell them to turn or stop, if you are at their side then you will tell them to slow down and if you are behind then you are telling the to move ahead. Also, if you are at incorrectly at their side and not behind or parallel with their butt then when you flick the whip you could run into the possibility of disengaging the hindquarters and causing thier butt to swing out and have the horse turn to you and try to stop.

Back