Laser measuring device! Sounds like something the

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there are more things in life to freak out about then a 1/4 inch... Socializing animals do not have anything with measurement ..I know that, my socializing comment was directed to the people that wont hand their horse over to a stranger.Go to an auction and see where the horses that are not socialized end up....on the trucks , yes even shettys. Life isnt fair ... get use to it , try to enjoy your horse and the show even if it measures differently then you expected, I dont see all the fuss.
Perhaps you would see the fuss if your horse WAS one of the ones to which 1/4 or even 1/8 inch made a difference? Some people just don't get it unless they themselves are involved in the "fuss", thinking it just cannot be important if it isn't affecting THEM.

That is selfish.
But IAM one of those people.....
default_wacko.png
My horse will loose its AMHA papers if she is measured wrong...this spring. OH WELL !!! NOT THE END OF THE WORLD, sorry there is so much stress for you all in showing . I paid a lot of money for my horse, her pedigree is all 32 inches and under ...she is 34 and 2 1/2 years old. I was told by the breeder that she definatly would NOT be over 33 inches...well she is . I cant blame anyone because she grew. Get over it you guys ! your being silly.and talk about selfish....
default_new_shocked.gif
I wanted an AMHA horse , not an R.... I was mad , then got over it , doesnt mean I dont love her, doesnt mean i cant show her, just less people to compete against... like only 1 other person , vs 60 or so. SOOOO... I sould be making a fuss , but that wont get me anywhere, except loosing friends, and looking like a fool. Europeand think Americans are "extream"... well I am sort of starting to agree. Good luck you guys.

Last edited:
I don't think the laser measuring system is a band aid for good measuring practice. We have had laser measuring here for about the last 10 years with our Royal Agricultural Society. Personally I hate the laser stand and have seen some pretty dodgey measures come out of that box, rarely do I get my horses measured in there now and choose to stay with our national body. The stand is not transportable and must be afixed to a level pad the are not padantic about the horse standing square either. As for the operator not being able to influence the measure - perhaps thats the case however the old argeument of user ability and accuracny and what is the last hair of the mane vrs body hair. As the operators spend most of there time measuring to the withers they expect mini people to not leave body hair so will take end of the longer hair as the last hair of the mane. On a whole our measuring is pretty good. Most people get a true and correct measure and in the instances where the odd biggie is getting though but this is pretty rare and people are getting pinged now when they do step out with one that is boardline.

I paid a lot of money for my horse, her pedigree is all 32 inches and under ...she is 34 and 2 1/2 years old. I was told by the breeder that she definatly would NOT be over 33 inches...well she is . I cant blame anyone because she grew. Get over it you guys ! your being silly.and talk about selfish.... I wanted an AMHA horse , not an R.... I was mad , then got over it , doesnt mean I dont love her, doesnt mean i cant show her
And I have had a horse go over, and lose both his AMHA, and his AMHR papers, when he was a SOLID AMHA bred horse, with a very small back ground. There ya go, from a very nice miniature horse worth a few thousand $$, to an unregistered pony. Yes, I could have spent MORE money and registered him as a "Show Pony", but that means nothing here. At least you can still have your registered miniature to show with...how would you feel had she done as my horse did and grow out of BOTH registries and become a "grade"??

As for

sorry there is so much stress for you all in showing
here we don't even show sanctioned shows...but it is my own decision, and honesty that prevented me from misrepresenting my horse in our local shows. But don't you THINK, that the very fact that a horse can go from valuable registered animal, to grade pony in an INSTANT because of a 1/4 to 1/2 an inch...it is very important that it be mesured correctly? How can you not?

I sent an email off to the company that is manufacturing and testing this new lazer measuring device and this is what I got back:

Dear Lori Rafter,

Thank you for you e-mail and interest in our Laser measuring device for equines.

This new developed device has officially been tested by the University with good results.

Even better results then the normal existing measuring sticks.

Some (officially tested) advantages of the new device are:

- compact and therefore easily transportable

- no reading conflicts because of the exact showing value

- more accurate then the existing measuring stick

- easy to use, horse remains calm because of the (smaller) size of the device

Please let me know what your questions are and explain in more detail your interest.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Met vriendelijke groet / With best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Ron van Sambeek

Productmanager

Sensor Partners BV

James Wattlaan 7

5151 DP DRUNEN

Postbus 270

5150 AG DRUNEN (NL)

Telefoon: +31 (0)416 – 378239

Fax: +31 (0)416 – 377439

Mobiel: +31 (0)6 – 45522929

E-mail: [email protected]

Bezoek onze webshop op www.sensororder.com

Visit our webshop at www.sensororder.com

I cc'd my reply to Jeanne B. so that she can converse with this fellow and get a better idea of the potential of this device. Hopefully she will follow up on it!

Way to go Lori!! Do they have any pictures of what it looks like?

Kay

Now it's not exactly "news" that the company who makes this device would be responsive and appreciative of an inquiry about it being used with minis. Really
default_biggrin.png

The actual "news" will be the Registries' decision about whether or not to use a different type of measuring device -- and whether or not to really stick (pun?) to their own guidelines when it comes to heights
default_yes.gif

I sent an email off to the company that is manufacturing and testing this new lazer measuring device and this is what I got back:
Dear Lori Rafter,

Thank you for you e-mail and interest in our Laser measuring device for equines.

This new developed device has officially been tested by the University with good results.

Even better results then the normal existing measuring sticks.

Some (officially tested) advantages of the new device are:

- compact and therefore easily transportable

- no reading conflicts because of the exact showing value

- more accurate then the existing measuring stick

- easy to use, horse remains calm because of the (smaller) size of the device

Please let me know what your questions are and explain in more detail your interest.

Looking forward to hear from you soon.

Met vriendelijke groet / With best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Ron van Sambeek

Productmanager

Sensor Partners BV

James Wattlaan 7

5151 DP DRUNEN

Postbus 270

5150 AG DRUNEN (NL)

Telefoon: +31 (0)416 – 378239

Fax: +31 (0)416 – 377439

Mobiel: +31 (0)6 – 45522929

E-mail: [email protected]

Bezoek onze webshop op www.sensororder.com

Visit our webshop at www.sensororder.com

I cc'd my reply to Jeanne B. so that she can converse with this fellow and get a better idea of the potential of this device. Hopefully she will follow up on it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jill

Not being sarcastic at all here--but I cant understand your attitude tword this. At least Lori is following through and getting more information, getting a director involved etc. Which imo is much better then sitting around complaining but never doing anything to change it. This isnt something that will happen overnight. Im sure after information is gathered etc it will have to be put to convention 2010 and passed by the members and the board.

But it has to start somewhere.

Kay

Jill
Not being sarcastic at all here--but I cant understand your attitude tword this. At least Lori is following through and getting more information, getting a director involved etc. Which imo is much better then sitting around complaining but never doing anything to change it. This isnt something that will happen overnight. Im sure after information is gathered etc it will have to be put to convention 2010 and passed by the members and the board.

Kay
Thank you!

Keep up the good work Lori, who knows perhaps you'll change the miniature horse world for the better.

Kay, don't try to make the thread about me stating my opinions. The way I understand it, comments should really be kept to the topic and not be about an individual member's ability to express a point of view. Expressing a realistic point of view is hardly "sitting around complaining".

I'm just stating what a lot of people have or will think when they see THE "news" is a response from a product manufacturer. Ask me about what I sell, and I'll be responsive, too! We all know that it's the registries that have been unresponsive in this issue for many years and it's only at the registry level that any change will occur. There are not too many of us who honestly think it's too hard to measure a mini properly.

Jill

Kay

Just to clarify my "sitting around complaining" was not at all directed to YOU Jill.

Anyway keep up the good work Lori
default_smile.png
Im betting there are a lot of us that support what you are doing and please keep us posted with any news!

Kay

Thanks, Kay. I thought the "Jill" at the top of your post meant you were trying to say something to me.

I'd love it if horses were measured correctly and showed in the appropriate classes and divisions, but I am not wet enough behind the ears to think it's a can't do vs. a don't do issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now it's not exactly "news" that the company who makes this device would be responsive and appreciative of an inquiry about it being used with minis. Really
The big grin smilie at the end of the sentence doesn't really reduce the sarcasm, sorry to say...

I'm just stating what a lot of people have or will think when they see THE "news" is a response from a product manufacturer.
I'm not sure where anyone said this was "news"?? As I see it Lori was just passing on the response she'd had from the manufacturer, and stating that she had cc'd it on to Jeanne.
Perhaps some "news" will eventually come of this, though quite obviously there are some that hope not!

Perhaps some "news" will eventually come of this, though quite obviously there are some that hope not!
I think the root of the problem is that those who hope not are some of the real big dogs and always, they have carried far more sway with the registries than the bulk of the membership. No, it shouldn't be that way, but it IS that way. I've come to the conclusion that it's probably going to take legal action before things really go by the rule books. I'll be the first to admit that I hope that I'm wrong in this and that Lori makes some headway where other well organized groups of members have not been able to in the past.

Thanks, Kay. I thought the "Jill" at the top of your post meant you were trying to say something to me.
Just as I thought the "Lori" at the top of your posts meant you were trying to say something to me!
default_poke.gif

I too am not terribly suprised that I got a response from the company who I am sure is hoping to make a sale (I hope they make that sale!) I am pleased though to be able to pass along a contact that will allow our registry to learn more about the possibilities of this measuring device and this lone, disorganized member hopes that perhaps in the long run it will help with some of the difficulties in measuring or at least to prevent some of the tactics now in use to cheat the stick. I really think that some of the measuring variances result from things such as how much pressure to put on the back of the horse when measuring and horses shrinking away from the arm of the stick, and this would certainly reduce that.

Latest posts

Back