Laminate Flooring and dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsedude

Reaction score
I am purchasing a new house with all laminate flooring on the main floor. I have a large inside house dog. Wondering how this flooring will affect her. If she will be slippin and slidin all the time, or if they do good on this flooring??? Is this flooring pretty durable with respect to their toe nails, and not getting scratched up?

I've never had laminate floors before, so this will be a new experience. Any care/cleaning/helpful hints will be appreciated! Thanks!

We put laminate flooring throught the house, have dogs, much easier to take care of and no problem with the dogs sliding and it really holds up well.
default_yes.gif
We have labs and they like to play.

kelly2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We put laminate flooring down in our kitchen a couple of years ago, and we have dogs, and it has not been any worse than linoleum. They have no trouble on it whatsoever. There is a very slight grain texture to ours, but our daughter and son-in-law put some in their place, and it was VERY cheap pricewise, and as the saying goes, they got what they paid for. Theirs is quite slippery, but is flat...completely smooth, much the same as wall panelling. I don't care for it at all. Ours was not top of the line either, but was a little more expensive. Ours has the built in backing, and they had to lay foam down first, before laying their flooring.

Last edited by a moderator:
We put Wilsonart laminate in our kitchen and dining room when we had our home built an we love it. Been here 8 years and no scratches in it even with grandkids and a dog. I have knocked over our heavy bar stools and dropped stuff on it but it just stays nice looking. I wouldn't put a cheap grade of laminate in because I have known people to have problems with it. Mary

Oh great topic, I've been wondering about this!

I REALLY REALLY want to get rid of all the carpeting on the first floor and have been wanting laminate, but a friend of mine recently told me she put in real wood flooring because laminate is too slippery for dogs.

When we built this house I told hubby we should go ceramic the entire first floor and he wouldn't hear of it. Now he says to me, "why didn't we think of going ceramic the entire first floor"? :DOH!

Shelley

I have it in my office. Our JRT has no problems with it at all but the hound........
default_no.gif
:DOH! . She was fine for a long time but we went to Petsmart once and she freaked on the tile. She tried to dig her nails in but couldn't. Now she has problems walking on my laminate floor and any store floor we try to go to.
default_wacko.png

We put laminiate throughour our whole house about 5 years ago, and I LOVE it.Our kitchen, dining room, breakfast nook and hallway have been down about 10 years. Not a scratch on it anywear, it looks just like new and is so easy to keep clean. We have the Wilsonart brand also with a wood grain texture to it. The only room that dont have it is our family room, and I cant wait for that carpet to start showing some wear, so we can put it in there as well. We have a labs. Our old Shado who passed away in August did have a tough time walking on it, but he was arthritic so we put alot of throw rugs down for him, or he would slid on it. Our 3 yr old and the blue heeler pup have never had any problems, and no throw rugs for them. I would never go with the cheap kind, we know a few who did and regreat doing it. You can really tell a differance in it. Corinne
CodyandAngelredo.jpg

Great question - we just put some down because our old carpet was just ICK between my own dogs and the foster dogs.

I was wondering how it was going to hold up with the dog nails - sounds like it might do ok. . .

2 of my dogs are fine with it but the 3 legged corgi doesn't care for it - once everything is finished I'm going to put lots of rugs down that I can just scoop up when company comes over so our Bobo doesn't have such a rough time with it
default_smile.png

We put down the Dupont brand, it has a texture to it. The dogs only have a hard time when they try to jump up on my bed which is really high then they slide. But I love it, easy to take care of, especially with the lovely Corgi hair. Kathy

I have laminate flooring and at first SunShine would slide all over the place. He spins his wheels when he tries to get a running start....no skid marks though. He's learned to run from one carpet or rug to the other to make his quick stops and turns. He's adjusted to it quite well.

Yes Laminate is wonderful!! Easy cleaning... Carpet is gross, no matter how much you keep it clean when you pull it up the floor is so dirty underneath. A vacuum can only do so much!

Our 1st Chow Madison grew up with carpet, so when we put down Pergo he didnt like it, slipped alot, he was 7, so i put down rugs and he stayed on the rugs!! I think you could have had a steak sitting on the floor and Madison WOULDNT go after it unless he could reach it from 1 of his rugs! LOL

After he died I took up most of the rugs, then we got Bryson, he loves it but he hasnt known anything else...

We have it everywhere ( kitchen, dining,livingroom, masterbedroom) Now I want to do the kids rooms, but have to wait, I cant afford it I have been buying horses!! LOL. I mean they are more important right!! LOL

So I highly urge you to get it. It WONT scratch with dogs like real hardwood ( although I love hardwood but it costs more and does scratch) ..

We have Laminate, LOVE IT!!!! About once a month I go over it with that wood floor cleaner stuff, takes off any surface scuffs and shines it a little. Our pup runs and skids on it, no dents/dings etc at all. However our old arthritic dog ( severe hip dysplasia too) cant get traction and hsa to watch how she walks, so there are area rugs all over. If she lays down on it, she needs help getting back up. But overall, no problems and want to do more rooms LOL

Our only dogs that have sliding isssues on the laminate flooring are the Old English Sheepdogs. When i let their hair grow their feet also are quite hairy and if they run around corners they'll sometimes slide into the walls!

We love ours too! The only dog that has real trouble is Sandy our 15 year old retriever mix. She does have trouble sitting up and will slide into layin down. Also our 3 year old golden retriever spins out alot on it when he tries to start running too fast! Love these floors will never go back to carpet! Sheila

We just put some down in the dining room and hallway. The big concern we have is if it gets wet it will warp and get ruined so we do worry about accidents. Between the old dogs, rescues, and soon a puppy, that can be a big worry. I honestly would prefer a good quality hardwood floor instead, but $$$$.

We just put some down in the dining room and hallway. The big concern we have is if it gets wet it will warp and get ruined so we do worry about accidents. Between the old dogs, rescues, and soon a puppy, that can be a big worry. I honestly would prefer a good quality hardwood floor instead, but $$$$.
They recommend if you are going to put it down in areas that may get wet (bathroom, kitchen) that you use a glue that will seal it so don't have to be concerned about it warping or getting ruined.

About the warping and stuff. When I put mine in last year, we had an outdoor pile of trash from the remodel and there was flooring in it. It stayed out all winter and spring, got wet, stayed in puddles etc and not one piece was even remotely deformed. There is still one small piece that I have left outside, just to see what it will do and still, nothing. And I know that piece soaked in a puddle for days. Ours is armstrong ( I think!!!) or maybe anderson? LOL cant recall, slept since then LOL

Latest posts

Back