Ladys Foaling Journey

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_saludando.gif
those people dont know nothing
default_no.gif
:No-Sad
default_no.gif
:No-Sad
default_no.gif
your mare is looking great

WOW!! I love all this advice
default_aktion033.gif
Thank you all so much!! I feel much better- lol!! I am going to take some more pictures today of everything
default_rolleyes.gif
I am so lucky to have found this wonderful group of people to take the time to help people!

WOW!! I love all this advice
default_aktion033.gif
Thank you all so much!! I feel much better- lol!! I am going to take some more pictures today of everything
default_rolleyes.gif
I am so lucky to have found this wonderful group of people to take the time to help people!
lol I told you they are good
default_laugh.png
I'm glad we were able to make you feel better!! can't wait to see the piccies!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Oh dear! Please dont listen to 'friends' who tell you things that upset and stress you, however well intentioned they are (just ask Cassie!!) Why people have to give 'advice' and consider it the gospel truth and expect you to act on it immediately, I dont know! We all have opinions based on our own experiences but that doesn't mean that what has happened with our mares/horses in general WILL happen to anyone elses! The words might, maybe, possibly, included in converstaion 'advice' can make things seem a lot less worrying to the person receiving the 'advice'.
default_yes.gif
Which is why I sacked my old friends and replaced them with mini owners/showies/breeders
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl No stupid advice after that!
default_new_rofl.gif

I've talked a few first time mini foalers through their first foaling now, they never realise until it's pointed out to them how different minis are! They foal earlier, they bag up differently, most never wax up! Not until the last moment anyway. They are also at more risk so unassisted foalings carry an extra weight.

She looks very close - I would be watching her VERY closely!!

I meant to say, have you been able to let her graze some grass - remember that grass or at least moist food is really important on the run up to foaling (she should be able to poo easily with no straining or dry poos!) and particularly immediately afterward. As her labour begins she will empty her bowels, doing lots of little piles of really mushy/loose poos, thus clearing out her system. After foaling the first food going through her system needs to be really mushy to gently 'trigger' her digestion again. So I nice warm mash of her normal food and some soft leafy hay will be fine for the next few days, then follow this up with grazing on grass as soon as you can get her and the foal safely outside for a leg stretch. Do you have a paddock/area where she and the foal can be turned out away from your other horses?

Good luck - bet you are really getting excited now!!

Had a baby at about midnight last night!! It is a filly ;) She is silver and white like her daddy... Here is the story: My 2 boys had a ball tournament all day and then to swim at friends house afterwards- so when we got home (my husbad had fed everyone about 3 that afternoon) I told hime I wanted him to go out checkon her with me and help me get the stall ready and go ahead and seperate her. He of course, wanted to wait until tomorrow, but he came anyways
default_smile.png
We went out and I was pretty sure that it would be that night if not tomorrow- she just had lots of "changes". So, he was getting the stall ready and I said she keeps laying down and getting up- I kept saying something is wrong- My hubby said shes probably just tired- with all hat extra weight... So I sent hime to get hay for the stall and she came up to me and I started rubbing her and she laid down and I started rubbing her belly and she rolled on her side and I heard a gush sound so I called for my husband to hurry up. We got her in the stall and the rest was history ;) She did get very exhausted right after the head was out and we did have to help a bit but this was her first. She is an awesome mom- is very protective!! Right after she was born the "daddy" cam in the next stall and nipped all the other horses out- He didnt want any one else in there! Everytime the foal goes near the fence she nudges her away and stands between the fence and the foal. It is so sweet! Lady(the mare) is a very affectionate and loves attention- So I was a little surprised that she was so protective with the foal even with us. Enough of my rambling- Here are some picts- If there is any advice on anything I need to do now or to watch for please let me know... I usually leave them stalled by theirselves for 3-4 days and then turn them out in a pen by themselves afterwards
default_smile.png

DSC_0079.JPG

DSC_0103.JPG

DSC_0114.JPG

DSC_0128.JPG

Oh- and - This may sound silly.. But my husband swears she was waiting on me ;) Our only foal last year happened very similar.. So he says they wait on me to get there.. I don't know how true that is but it makes me feel better
default_smile.png

Awwwwwwww
default_thumbup.gif
Congratulations!!!! What a beautiful baby!! I am so glad all went so well!

CONGRATULATIONS
default_thumbup.gif
What a clever girl to wait for you
default_smile.png
She is adorable
default_yes.gif

I normally let me girls out for an hour of grass a couple of times a day on their own when they have foaled so that mum doesn't get over excited and start charging around which is what they normally do if stalled too long. Also worming mum within 12 hours with Ivermectin will help the foal when mum has her first heat.

CONGRATS
default_smile.png

Oh wonderful news!! Many congratulations on your gorgeous little filly and well done Lady!!
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp

What a great story too!
default_yes.gif
Years ago I also had a mare who would wait for me. A big horse, every year once she was ready to foal, she would wait until she heard me coming over from the house to check on her and give a huge shout to hurry me up. As soon as I got to her stable, down she went a proceeded to push out baby, bless her. In all she had 6 foals for me and each time the proceedure was exactly the same!

Like Renee, I always get my mares and foals out for a couple of short trips each day as soon as they have foaled, mainly to 'stop' the mare from rushing around when eventually let out after several days confined in her stall.

More pics please asap!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back