Knockneed rescued foal...anything that can be done

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willow29

Reaction score
I bought a mare and foal a few months back. The mare carried her filly for the whole pregnancy term with poor nutrition and several stretches of 4-5 days with no food at all last winter.
no.gif
The filly was born normal size in October. Both she and mom have been getting proper nutrition now since November. Both sire and dam are perfectly straight legged and have normal width chests. The filly however seems to be quite narrow in the chest and is knockneed. It doesn't slow her down a bit, and she is quite athletic and agile.
aktion033.gif
I was wondering if she might "grow out of it" with proper feeding now? It won't make me love her any less if she stays crooked, but I've never had a foal like this, and of course I'm worried about her. Thanks for any advice or tips in advance, and HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone! Jill/Ohio

Jill,

We also have a foal with crooked legs. Our Legacy lost her mommy when she was just 3 weeks old and evidently wasn't getting much nutrition from her mom from birth on. She is now nearly 5 months old and her legs are much straighter.

The vet and I discussed this at length and he is of the opinion that with corrective trimming, proper nutrition, and plenty of exercise she will straighten out completly.

Best of luck with yours, I am with you, if Legacy doesn't straighten out, it won't make me love her less and she still has a home for life.

Mary

I have done physical therapy on foals with very crooked legs, but they were very young.I don't know if it will help on your filly.I took the leg and put one hand just above the knee&the other hand just below the knee.I would pull gently so the leg was in a straight normal position and count to 10.Switch to the other leg&do the same thing.Do 5 repetitions on each leg.Do this 3 times each day.It worked on my foals.I would also have your farrier look at her feet to see if any corrective trimming might help.Sometimes just a slight lowering of a hoof will help.You need an expert to tell where to lower.Good luck with your baby.

Your filly has a 50% chance of improving, at least with her legs, with good nutrition and some aggressive corrective hoof trims. Since she got such a rough start, it will take her a little longer to "catch up" if she IS going to improve.

I don't know where you live, but if you are in a marginal selenium region, giving her some extra selenium wouldn't hurt either.

Her "narrowness" may or may not improve as she gains weight and builds muscle.

Good for you for being such a caring "Mini Mom"!

MA

Perhaps if you posted a few pics one of our farrier forum members would tell you.

hi jill

what part of ohio are you in?? for sure i would be feeding both of them equine jr so they can catch up on their nutrtion. Ive seen a lot of very crooked foals straighten up with proper nutrtion and trimming especially if the sire and dam arent like that.

bless you for taking them in!

Kay

Where in Ohio are you located? I'm up by sandusky/Teledo.

I hope it all works out fine!

Leeana

When Shooter was born he had knock-knees. Added selenium to his diet, and the vet said to let him out to run and play as he pleased, and whala...straight as an arrow with in 3 weeks!!!
aktion033.gif
I hope your little does well, considering the pre-nat care she didn't receive....bless you for taking them in.

Shooter July 27, 2005 foaled..

jul27336.jpg

Shooter 1 week later..

aug02552.jpg

Shooter at 26 days old..

aug23706.jpg

Currently I have them on the Omelene 300 with 12/12 horse mineral free choice and good hay and free choice salt. This little filly eats "like a horse" and is very active and she can come and go 24/7 unless it's really nasty outside at night, so she gets lots of exercise. She runs and bucks like crazy and loves to show off! Thanks for sharing Shooter's pictures. That gives me some hope that Dee will come out of it.

The other thing that is happening is that the mare is losing all of her heavy coarse outer winter coat as if she's doing her spring shed. It is coming out evenly all over her body, and what's underneath is shorter, very healthy and shiny. I've got a blanket on standby, but so far she hasn't needed it. I'm assuming this has to do with the change in nutrition/worming, etc? Both of them are such sweeties!
smile.gif
Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. It's very appreciated. Jill

Forgot to add...I live in Loudonville, midway between Columbus and Cleveland, about 85 miles from each. Jill
rolleyes.gif

I had 2 crooked legged foals this year. One like yours with the knock knees and the other so bow legged his legs almost formed a perfect circle.

The knock knees took about 6 weeks to straighten, the bowed legs straightened in 8 days. Both have very correct legs now.

I don't know what those feeds are as I've never heard of them up here but I'd deffinetly check the selenium levels in the feeds. If not get feeding that little girl some! Where I live there's no natural way to get selenium and so we have to supplement the horses with our grain. We actually have a grain that was created by a equine vet that grew up and lived here. He made the grain specially for this area! Anyway, I've heard of so many weird things happening to horses that don't have or don't have enough selenium in their diet so deffinetly check that.

Latest posts

Back