knee

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREENWOODMINIS

Reaction score
We took the kids skiing two weeks ago and I fell and blew my knee out...mcl, pcl and acl poof gone...surgery next thursday. When I fell I heard a pop and tearing...thought I broke my leg...now Im thinking a break would of been better than this
default_unsure.png
:

I am so scared...I have never been in the hospital except to give birth to my kids. My freak flag is waving big time :eek: .

I never usually post my problems...dunno...just feel shy about it...BUT, anyone else out there that has been through this. could you tell me what your experience was
default_sad.png
thank goodness for my lap top...bless its heart.
default_wub.png
:

I am so sorry if there is any typo's...its also the first time in my life to be on pain pills. speaking of which...I bought everything on line for my family for Chirstmas...while on pain pills...yup, as you would imagine...the family is getting some very interesting odd gifts...the boxes keep coming and, I am afraid to open them...maybe instead of a mohair scarf I ordered a mohair sofa - scary thought...dunno...oh boy :eek: .

lis...a.k.a crash

There are some very nice alternative things available for this panic of yours....Surgery is scary and not to be taken lightly but you can do it and you will get well. Let me know if you'd like more specifics.

We took the kids skiing two weeks ago and I fell and blew my knee out...mcl, pcl and acl poof gone...surgery next thursday. When I fell I heard a pop and tearing...thought I broke my leg...now Im thinking a break would of been better than this
default_unsure.png
:

I am so scared...I have never been in the hospital except to give birth to my kids. My freak flag is waving big time :eek: .
My German Shorthaired Pointer hit me running 35 mph in May 2003 and she tore my MCL...was lucky everything else was intact. Same thing, pop and a tear and I could not walk on it. Said lots of naughty words. :eek: Hubby took me to the ER and I had to ride in a wheelchair from the car to the exam and x ray rooms.

Should have had the surgery right from the start - the MCL was not attached and was dangling according to the MRI but the first surgeon from the ER and PA felt if they braced it, it would be OK. Nine weeks later during PT, I passed out and went back to the PA as I was angry that it had not healed and it was more unstable than ever! The PA was a jerk...he used to say "How's my friend today?" I was like, "I am not your friend. He was ticked when I came in after the passing out episode... "in 20 years of treating these injuries I never had one not heal. The doctor isn't here." I stormed out of there, got a second opinion from my neighbor (also an orthopaedic surgeon). I told him schedule the surgery.

It was painful but glad I did it. They could not do it arthroscopically due to the severity of the tear and due to the first doc and PA's screw up, the MCL healed dangling and the bone healed away from each other so the ends had to be opened and titanium bolt anchors were put in to hold it together. Had to go back in 2005 to clean up a plica and a meniscus tear but the bolts holding the MCL looked good and he was pleased with it. When I am running in a jumper class these days, I have a brace I have to wear to keep things together. Haven't skied on it yet...

Good luck - at least they are getting you in quickly to take care of this.

Denise

Silversong Farm

I have not had an experience like that but sure understand your dread of going to the hospital. You are fortunate in that there are some great doctors in this day and age that can fix up up and I do wish the very best for you...Hang in there and it will soon be all over. Mary

Oh, I feel your pain.

I tore my ACL in half last March. It was 6 months since my surgery in November.

The wierdest thing is your knee feels really loose and unstable now, but the minute everything is fixed, you can walk on it- I did within 2 hours - and its INCREDIBLE how stable your knee feels.

Good luck though. I know how much it hurts.

I tore my MCL in a jumping class. Of course I did not stopped when I knew I hurt something and did an other round in a jump off. By the time I was done I handed the horse to some one walked to my car and drove home. When I go home I could not walk. The emergency room told me to rest it. A week later I still could not walk or sit. I could only stand or lay down.

I then went to see my favorite Orthopedic guy. He gets me in for a MRI right away and schedualed surgery within a few day. I cried on the way to the hospital from all the pain I was in just riding in a car. Four hours later I a was on way home without pain. Of course I was still under some drugs but I did not take any painkillers after that. I was walking and back at work in a week, my job was one where I was on my feet all day.

If I knew then what I know now I would have insisted on surgery the day I injured myself to avoid all that pain.

I have a gone ACL and partially torn MCL I was braced and had physical therapy for 4 months. No surgery, my choice. Got the Goji for the pain and never looked back. The therapy built my hamstring and quads and the knee is holding pretty well now without even a brace. Spent all of nationals in the brace and on pain killers. No more pills.... no surgery for now. You can pull thru with flying colors and your leg will be stronger for it.

Lyn

Ouch. I remember a few years ago I was playing with my dog exercising him on a 50 foot rope. Well the big dog a Great Pry went one way I had the rope not knowing where it was I had stepped over it and when he went to the right so DID my knee~!! POP I went down like a sack of potatoes. I THOUGHT I had broke my leg just like you.

Felt around and the Knee Cap was WAY Over on the side. So I gathered myself and as I reached to sort of straighten my leg out so I could CRAWL back into the house for the phone. I ACCIDENTALLY Put pressure on the Cap and ALL OF A SUDDEN it SNAPPED back into place.~!!!!!!!!! Stood up,,, stood on one leg,, then the other no pain the pain had left (For the Moment anyway) Walked around. Nothing,,it was good as new. Put the dog away and put cold packs on it and a elastic brace and BINGO I never went to the doctor at all~!!!!!!

Now 5 years later I have severe RA in that knew and other joints But I LUCKED out at the time. never went to see a doctor went to work in 2 days and not one person knew what had happened~!! Cool~!

Did she really say she ordered a mohair sofa? :new_shocked: :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

I"ll take it! Just what I always wanted.

I never usually post my problems...dunno...just feel shy about it...

Nah, I do believe you are just a wee bit loaded.
default_yes.gif
:

OH I love being in the hospital!
default_frusty.gif
:

That's the only place I have ever found where I can actually rest and push a button and someone will come and bring me a pepsi! Or my very own bedpan.......that you can actually take home with you and make a very nice planter in for a great conversation piece. :aktion033:

Problem is, when I go home, the place is a wreck..........men being what they are and all, but I still like the rest and I love hospital food too!
default_eat.gif
:

Pain pills are nice to have too when you are hurt.......don't be shy about them either. Weenie that I am, if I am in pain, I"m not the suffering type and I'll have me one. Next time you take one and get strange, give me a call and we'll order all sorts of hairy things. That will be so fun!
default_cheers.gif
:

You might want to talk to Feather 1414 because she had knee surgery this year. ummmm on second thought you better not because she was in way too much pain and I don't want her to scare you. (hehe) I'm being bad tonite just messin with ya.

This shows to go ya that you need to stay off of the slopes and in the cart where you belong.
default_yes.gif
:

I"ll be thinking of you on Thursday, honest. ((((( )))))

Oh Lis,

I am so sorry - what a bummer - and just what you were hoping would not happen! You will be just find, the surgery methods are unbelievable these days and I know that you are not one to lie around feeling sorry for yourself -- you will have to be careful about overdoing it tho -- (yeah, right, like any of us take it easy with horses to take care of!)

I am sure that hubby and kids will pitch in and help out a lot - get that knee done ASAP so that you can be up and attem by early spring next year - you have that new driving horse to bring out and kick our butts with!

HUGS, HUGS, HUGS -

Stac

(Poor Diva - she isn't going to be the center of attention for awhile :new_shocked: !)

Oh Lis, I am so sorry, you really did a number on yourself. Way worse that what I did to myself for sure. In your case though, It sounds like you will come out of this all put back together while I lost all my cartilage and am bone on bone. You have a great chance to come out of this in great shape with no future problems. Just be religious about physical therapy, go to as many sessions as you can, it is great for getting back.

Meanwhile enjoy the drugs! Do not scrimp on them, take them as ordered or the pain can get out of control and then they don't work as well.

Latest posts

Back