Kittens and horse dewormers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BFS_Simon_Says

Reaction score
Does anyone on here deworm their kittens with horse dewormers such as Strongid T?

I would think it near impossible to get the dose right... ivermectin is so cheap, wouldn't it be easier to buy the cat version? Is ivermectin a safe wormer for cats? Then the other question is is the dose the same, by weight?

That would scare me......... You should ask your vet about that.

MA

You can use Fenbendazole ( Panacur) safely in dogs and cats- it is very hard to overdose, I use a diabetic syringe and give 1/2 ml per kitten at around six weeks.

Yep in fact that is what my vet gave me for the pups, adult dogs cats and kittens is the liquid strongid said I could get it myself it is the same as the horse stuff at the feed stores and gave me the doses.

We just de-wormed the pups for the first time this week and of course did everyone else in the house and the 2 abandoned kittens dropped off here as well as what every barn cats i could catch i still have a few more to go

Our vet told me to use it on my dogs but I forgot to ask about the kittens and unfortuntaly I can't get ahold of him, so I figured I would get some input from you guys. And no it wouldn't be easier. I'm too far away from any feed stores, vets or pet stores so I hoped that I could use what I had

Never, never, never use ivermectin on a cat.

OK just checked- you can use Pyrantel (active ingredient in Strongid) on cats BUT it only gets roundworms and IME Fenbendazole (Panacur) is safer as the dosage margin is so much greater.

So there would be NO effect on tapeworms- the product for worming cats for tapeworms is Praziquantel, which it is in horses, and the wormers sold to de-tape cats contains Pyrantel Pamoate or Emboate + Praziquantel.

IMO you are safer using Fenbendazole.

NEVER give ivermectin to a cat!!!! It will kill them !!! My mother tried this and it was a horrific result.

Horse strongid is exactly what my small animal vet uses to deworm cats in his office, (we watched him fill the syringes from the bottle) and since I usually have some on hand, that is what I use on my cats. Getting the weight right is the hard part, but I think it is pretty safe.

Lauralee thanks for the warning about cats and ivermectin (not that I would have tried it without knowing) I have known for a long time about the possible effects in collie breed dogs, but did not know about cats.

Latest posts

Back