keeping dog hair off the sofa

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score
sometimes i wish i had never allowed the lollipop kids on the sofa but in all honesty, i dearly love curling up with a corgi or two in my lap. i have yet to see a sofa throw cover that wasn't butt-ugly. i have been keeping just a sheet on the sofa to catch the dog hair but i just hate how that looks.

anybody got any good ideas? getting rid of the dogs isn't an option. LOL

Check out: http://www.surefit.net/ They have some really pretty ones. I have some from them that we use sometimes and they work great
default_yes.gif
:

[SIZE=12pt] a leather sofa...if you can't do that then a good lint brush
default_yes.gif
: . Nikki
[/SIZE]

We've resorted to finding just a king sized flat sheet that we like and putting that on the couch to catch the cat hair from our 3 fur balls... it works for us, and we buy just the flat sheet.

When my dogs are shedding, they always wear TEE shirts in the house
default_yes.gif
:

Leather sofa but barring that and I do have leather I use pretty flannel sheets! They stick better, keep the hair better and look nicer.

Get hairless dogs? :bgrin

I gave up. I just toss blankets over my couch and wash them once or twice a week.

Get hairless dogs? :bgrin

I gave up. I just toss blankets over my couch and wash them once or twice a week.
LOL hairless dogs! i wouldn't know how to act!!

any of the corgi people here can attest to the fact that corgis shed pretty much 24/7/365. we call them "projectile shedders".

i think the flannel sheet idea might just work. i can see where they would stay put better. thanks! walmart, here i come.
default_smile.png

Okay.......I'm going to give a "smartass" answer........

How'bout keeping the DOG off the sofa!

:bgrin MA

On a regular basis, mist lightly with StaticGuard and go over the fabric with rubber-gloved hands.

One more thing--don't buy black clothing.

well, that sounds like something my MOTHER would say! LOL! i know, i know but my dogs are my kids and i LOVE cuddling with them. if they aren't allowed on the couch, i'd have to cuddle on the floor. :eek:

i have only a few pieces of black clothing. if i wear it, i don't put it on till i'm ready to walk out the door.
default_wink.png
:

windingroad, i have the animal dyson vacuum. i use the upholstery attachment a couple of times a week.

well, that sounds like something my MOTHER would say! LOL! i know, i know but my dogs are my kids and i LOVE cuddling with them. if they aren't allowed on the couch, i'd have to cuddle on the floor. :eek:

i have only a few pieces of black clothing. if i wear it, i don't put it on till i'm ready to walk out the door.
default_wink.png
:
same here, on both the cuddling and the black clothes (and the fact that it sounds like something my mom would say, lol!!). My pups don't shed but hubby's dog and the cats make every black outfit I own look like tweed.

I have a black chow, right now he is shedding and my carpet is light aqua, I have to rake it everyday before I vaccum, I use a horse comb on him to try to get the lose hair off him. When I am home he does not get on the couch but as soon as I go away he gets up there, he leaves these tell tale signs behind.

My dogs sleep on my couch all the time,
default_wub.png
: and I never have to content with dog hair...Angel is a lab, and Zip is a heeler, and my couch is leather. :bgrin I love it, all I have to do is sweep my hand across it and the dog hair is gone. Leather seems to be the only way to go if you have animals and let them on the furniture, but yet dont want a couch full of dog hair. From my couch, it goes onto the floor which is hardwood..easy to clean up dog hair on there too, just sweep and its gone. :bgrin no carpeting for dog hair either. :bgrin Corinne

That is one GOOD smartass answer!!! To funny!! :risa_suelos: :risa_suelos: :risa_suelos: :new_rofl:

I have the same problem being a rescue and sanctuary so i have numerous dogs in the house all the time i can tell you an easy way to get the dog hair out of area rugs and such but as far as the couch i have come to only 1 conclusion..........

I GIVE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

default_rolleyes.gif
:

dawn

Here , we have a Scottie and a Great Dane in the house . Our solution to the dog hair - The Great Dane has her own couch. :bgrin That way we only have one sofa to vacuum and still have one for "company" and us , to use . If we have a crowd coming over I just throw a king sized sheet over the dog's couch . The Dane is not allowed on "Dad's " sofa but the Scottie is , she hardly ever leaves any hair behind. Plus we have hardwood floors , nothing for hair to stick to.

Oh! and our cuddle time ( that's me and the two dogs ) is spent at night on a full sized bed watching TV in the bedroom until it's bedtime then they each have their own beds.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years back, House and Garden Magazine had an article on interior designers and their dogs. Every one of these incredibly high-priced, snooty designers said that they'd choose their dogs and cats over any piece of furniture ever made.

An interior designer friend of mine (also snooty and high-priced) chooses fabrics in prints and textures that hide clinging hairs. She always sprays with Scotchgard to prevent discoloring and to make hair cling less. Beyond that, she figures if guests don't like it, they can leave.

She recently added a room/enclosed porch to her house that she calls "Bella Casa"...it is a room dedicated to her Italian Greyhound, Bella. When she leaves, the room is locked off from the rest of the house, then left open to the fenced backyard so that Bella can go in and out on her own.

Anumber of years ago, I shared studio space with this friend (not bad having an interior design showcase for my studio). She had this gorgeous Tibetan rug in the reception area, but it was strangely attractive to dogs. All the artists in the building brought their dogs, and if we left our studio doors open, invariably some dog would come in and poop on this artsy, expensive carpet. I finally decided that I preferred working out of my house. Theh night I moved my office, I took my dog along. When all was loaded and i went to lock the door, I looked down and saw that Hillary had left a "parting gift"... (I was a spoilt-sport and cleaned it up)

Last edited by a moderator:

:new_shocked: such "hair-esy"

I use throw blankets if anything, mostly I just vaccuum the couch and live with being hairy....I have cats and they are far worse than my dogs....

I have a black chow, right now he is shedding and my carpet is light aqua, I have to rake it everyday before I vaccum, I use a horse comb on him to try to get the lose hair off him. When I am home he does not get on the couch but as soon as I go away he gets up there, he leaves these tell tale signs behind.
Sue here is a tip from one chow owner to another....SHOPVAC....you can acclimate him to it and it can be used to both blow and suck the hair off.......I started using mine because I couldn't afford a real dog blower and it works pretty well. The nice thing with chows is that the hair comes off in pre formed dust bunnies (also called chow clods :bgrin ) vs individual hairs .......

One day I will have all hardwoods and leather furniture
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back