Just wondering how you respond to people, you hear,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, some people are small and nasty and have nothing else better to do that belittle someone else to make themselves feel good. Very sad if you ask me.

This forum is FOR asking questions and learning! When someone asks a question, no matter how big or small, someone reading it and the replies learns something! Many people here have a lot of experience and know a lot already and may feel they can't ask a simple question, risking being poked at. But it's great when a new person comes along and does ask! They learn, everyone learns! No one knows everything. The day I stop learning is the day I'm dead.

Hmm well somethings on here are funny and do make me laugh, some are sad and make me cry and some make me shake my head in wonder and everything in between.

Some are afraid to ask questions since they may be picked apart and made to feel stupid however usually the ones who prove to know the least are the ones that shout from the rooftops about all they know.

personally I would just let it slide cant take everything and everyone to heart- if the fourm works for you and you learn from being here the just take that with you and go on with your day

I THINK SOMETIMES PEOPLE FORGET THAT BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS JUST ACQUIRED A MINIATURE HORSE,THAT THEY NO NOTHING ABOUT HORSES, I ALSO DONT LIKE THE KNOW IT ALLS,ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY DONT POST ON PUBLIC,WHAT THEY ARE SAYING TO YOU IN PMS, BUT I LOVE THIS FORUM THE GOOD CERTAINLEY OUTWAY THE BAD 1% AND I HAVE LEARNT SO MUCH,AND WILL CONTINUE TO FOR AS LONG AS POSSIBLE,I ALSO MET SO MANY GOOD GENUINE PEOPLE,THAT I LOOK FORWARD TO TALKING TO THAT I NEVER WOULD HAVE KNOWN ONLY FOR THIS PLACE, I THINK THE MODERATERS DO A GREAT JOB,AND THE MEMBERS ASK SOME GREAT QUESTIONS, ...JMO

When you throw this many people together in one spot, its kind of like a high school. There is bound to be drama, fights and people who just flat out hate each other.

I do think that some people on here get picked on a bit, normally the newer people to the forum.

I think there are two types of people at this forum and in this world for that matter.

1) People who generally want to help no matter what the cause or issue. Good hearted, good willed people!.

2) Just flat out mean and rude people who just cant help but sneak in there next rude comment. Unfortionaly i think we have two or three on here and they have been in the Mini business for years actually.

But in no way does them VERY few #2 people there ruin this forum, the #1 people keep everyone coming back i think!
default_yes.gif
:

Leeana

I guess I outgrew childish games and worrying about "being made fun of" many years back.

Maybe you could say "sticks and stones may break my bones....."
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I do get cross with snotty folk who think they know it all and are rude to those who ask a simple question.

So do I Wally
default_wink.png
: I think people like this are the real "Losers" in every sense coz it doesnt matter if you have been in miniatures a few years or a few decades we can all learn from each others experiences...(and I will calmly tell them so and walk away) The person with years of experience and years being on this forum may find at some point that they need help with something that they have never come across before, and the "less experienced" one may have just the information they need to deal with it because they HAVE seen it in their shorter time. Things are changing all the time so there is ALWAYS stuff to learn from others, give me a young vet just out of college who has all the newest procedures, drugs and knowledge at his/her fingertips than an old "experienced" vet who thinks he knows it all anytime!!

I don't post very often anymore either. Not because I laugh at people I just get busy. I agree in that you wouldn't have won anything by saying something, except maybe made yourself feel better by getting it off your chest. Of course it would have probably lead into something you might not want to get yourself into. Sometimes you have to remember you can't control what other people say or do, you can only control yourself. Try not to let them bother you. (Easier said than done sometimes
default_wink.png
: )

Sometimes you have to remember you can't control what other people say or do, you can only control yourself. Try not to let them bother you. (Easier said than done sometimes )
[SIZE=10pt][/SIZE]

Well said Tobey.

Lori

Please don't feel bad, nothing you could have said would have changed their minds.

I kind of feel bad for them, they're minds are like closed traps. It's a shame when people stop learning, it's what keeps our minds sharp.

And I bet that they've actually learned a thing or two while "lurking" here, but they'de never admit it.

I have learned sooo much since I found this site. I've had horses (big ones) but these were my first minis and I wanted to take the best care of them that I can. I've always considered myself as a beginer/novice because if I thought I was a master at something I'd stop learning new things, that would mean no progress.

No progress would mean no future. And I think we all here want to better ourselves and make a better future for the miniatures that we love.

Lee

I don't know that I would have said anything either. Actually it would depend upon who was saying it, the tone & the audience........... Glad some people are getting chuckles from the forum posts, they are no different from the rest of us then. :eek: If they disagree with what is being said or the tone then they have the option of joining in................ Also I'm thinking some people pick & choose what they read & don't see the whole picture - they take in just enough info so they can relate an interesting story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be 60 this October, I've had horses in my life since I was 6 years old, and I'm STILL learning.

I came here originally to learn (sometime in '98 or '99) about minis, and when I stop learning they will be closing the lid on me. And I read the big horse threads because I can STILL learn a thing or two about them yet. Maybe even more if there were more posts about them.
default_wink.png
:

If memory serves me there are some posts that are here JUST to give us a laugh. And quite often it is just what the "Dr" ordered.

There are some people in this world who have TOO much time on their hands. IMO If a question is asked and you FEEL that you KNOW all there is to know about the subject DON'T OPEN IT! :nono:
default_poke.gif
:

Hi Carolyn,

You asked what would I do - well it would depend on who said what and about what. Someone making fun of newbies that are sincere about learning, etc. I would probably say something. We're all learning, at least I hope so!

Having said that, I know I lurked (and still do on occasion) for awhile in the beginning and read ALL the posts from the beginning before asking questions. Newbies may not know how to access that archives, but I do feel that before someone asks (for example), about de-worming a mini - PLEASE read at least the current pages to see if this topic wasn't asked the day before! I do try to share what I've learned over time, but none of us have time to answer every question every time.

I don't make fun of people asking, but do think everyone should make some effort to look up what they can from all the available information, Mary Lou has provided a great site with lots of info pages and generally six or so pages of posts that are still current. So, do a bit of research first!

As for the people you were around - well that's there deal. I wouldn't go out of my way for them, and it probably would make me view them differently if it was truly cruel and snide remarks. If they're getting their jollies laughing at everyone, it does show how small minded they truly are and nothing is going to change that!

I agree that it gets a little trying, on our board I find myself merging posts all posted on the same day about the same subject.

But it was brought home to me that not everyone can read well enough to scour the archives. We have one or two dyslexic folk who find it terribly hard to locate the snippet of info they want from reams of archive posts, that's why they ask thier specific question and look for the answer in a place they know they can look and find it with ease.

So we have to be patient and not be too cross with folk.
default_smile.png

My uncle has a saying about folk who claim to know it all! :lol: Beware the expert, an "ex" is a has-been and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure! :bgrin :bgrin

I haven't read all the posts, but I have come across the same thing Carolyn..BUT it was in reference to some heated topic or what not, and the comments were not mean spirited, but more along the lines of "Don't they realize others read this stuff?"

I have many many times responded to some of these heated topics with the words "careful, you have NO idea who reads this".

The internet is a big open space, with access to all who have a connection. Lurkers may not be mean, they just sit back and think, "why is this becoming such a sordid conversation"

You NEVER EVER know who reads. Yes this forum is fabulous for great information, BUT (not often) some things are truly ridiculous and silly.

Kim

Well my nature is somewhat cynical to start with. That being said I do not believe that I would knowingly hurt anybodies feelings or put them down. But I do have a pet peeve. People who have read a book or watched a tape and honestly believe that is the only method to train a horse or correct a problem. Over the last fifty years of caring for horses I have learned that there is always a different method to accomplish a goal or solve a disposition issue. What works well with one animal might never sink into a different horse. So if they have a closed mind and do not accept that other methods work as well feelings of frustration are often the result.

I agree Mary Lou. There have been times I got real visuals on some of the really funny things I have read here!! :bgrin

I agree Mary Lou. There have been times I got real visuals on some of the really funny things I have read here!! :bgrin
In fact the one thing that has been screaming in the back of my head while reading this thread and talking about FUNNY is Reo and her method of telling if a mare is in season or not and thinking of what the neighbors must think... now no way around it I LOVE REO and that is DARN FUNNY
default_yes.gif
:

Depending who it was and what was said would depend on how I would handle it.

One remark from a friend of mine was..."I'm proud of you for everything you have done. You have come a long way in a short time with the horses." This makes me feel good. I give credit to this forum and some great friends who have helped me along the way. I am out to learn. Thats why I joined this forum in the first place.

I do agree that some things are funny, some sad and alot of its learning.

EDITED: I was having another one of my boring spurts of "long windednes" when I posted this earlier. So, in the spirit of one of my favorites {Gilda Radner}... Never mind.
default_wink.png
:

Meanwhile, just rest in knowing you did the right thing by walking away, and don't give it another thought. :aktion033:

And if folks consider a completely trivial question to something that any other hopes to learn more of someday …well, at the very least, we can now rest in knowing we will have brought yet another reason for a smile to someone’s gleefully joyful face.
default_wub.png
:

Have a GREAT DAY! :saludando:

Hugs & prayers,

Tanya (Oh, lookie there, break time’s over… Okeydokey, back to workey!)

There are things that people share that are so sad and heart-touching that I cry over my keyboard. I'm sure glad my family can't see me at times because they would REALLY think I'm losing it. You don't even need pictures to feel the pain of losing a foal, nursing a sick mare, or having an animal attack and kill a horse.

There are things that people share that are so funny, like some of Al B.'s quips, horse jokes, descriptions of Doofus stories, that I chuckle and break out laughing. We are all interconnected on here, I feel I know some of the people who post............even though I've never met them in person. And let's admit it, WE'RE ALL FORUM ADDICTS!

Latest posts

Back