Just purchased furniture

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vickie gee

Reaction score
Paying for a product or service used to be sooooooooo simple. What has happened in this country? Do businesses not give a rip about their reputation? Is stick it to somebody the new motto?? Maybe it has to do with the the region I call home. Just cannot put my finger on it, but I am so tired of being given the shaft when I spend my money. I am too po'd to even post the details right now. Short version is: just got a refund for furniture I paid for in August and had them pick up the piece I got because I did not ever receive the other piece. I never got my chair! I will have furniture delivered Saturday from a store that has owner/manager on site, knows what I bought, who I am, and the details of our agreement. Had original seller pick up and refund! It is not just this bad experience that has me livid! It is a trend of business owners lying, cheating, stealing, mis-representing, deceiving and the like. It is not just the furniture buying experience...if I actually put into words what me and my husband have been through the last few years with low-down-dirty-rotten-low down-lying-scum bag businnesses deceptive practices you would say we were either hallucinating or absolutely the most unlucky people that ever breathed! Sorry. Must calm down. Breathe in/breathe out...breathe in/breathe out. Ok, thanks for just being there. Is it just me, or is everybody being deceived by the service providers and merchants in their area? I know we are living in a bad economy but what ever happened to businesses being honest and reputable? I am getting to the point where I am skeptical about anything and anyone!

Well, we all know what most think of car dealers, especially used car dealers; well we have a local dealer that is no exception. My MIL bought a little pick-up about two years ago and has been fighting it ever since, she told them she smelled coolant when she tried it out, they said they would fix it, and it only went downhill from there. Well, this last round of shop time, the s**t finally hit the fan, and the lot owner said he'd refund her purchase price on the pick-up. She said great, and that she wouldn't be working with them again, possibly ever, but at the very least for a very long time. [so at hte moment, she is waiting for them to send her a check. No, I don't know why they didn't cut her a check that day.]

I would like to know what has happened to customer loyalty? We bought our first home in 1976, sold it after a few years, bought up, sold again at a profit, and bought this small farm in 1988. We plan on living here the rest of our lives. When we bought our first home we also bought our home owners ins. through a firm, guess I shouldn't say who, but have had ins. with them the whole time. When we bought this place we sent in pictures and they even had someone come out and look, then nothing for all these years. I must say we have been through tornados, hurricanes the recent earthquake and have never filled a claim in all these years. No one has ever gotten injured and filled a claim. Well out of the blue two weeks ago we get a letter from our ins. carrier that they are coming to inspect the house, looking for native vegatation, broken doors, windows, unsafe walkways, etc. What the hay? My husband and son are both in construction, and although our home is old it is maintained. This letter said they were doing the inspect to decide to cancel or maintain our policy. Needless to say when I first read the letter I was hurt and then angry, but whatever, if they cancel, they cancel, there are other business out there more then willing to take our money.

You would think in this economy customer service would finally be a priority but it still isn't.

I know there is an online furniture store not far from me that is in big trouble for taking money and orders on the net and then not delivering anything. Crazy stuff.

Don't even get me started on Insurance companies. I swear anymore they are their own scam. We had the same car insurance for almost 20 years. In all that time we had one comp claim for a broken windshield. Then my son wrecked my car after we moved here. The payout was 7000.00 which really is not a large amount of money. They immediately cancelled us. They all love us as long as you never have a claim!

I think I am the only one who loves my insurance company...been with them for 15+ years and they insure everything we own, houses, boats, rv's, off road vehicles, and of course cars. I have had to file claims...water damage on both houses...vehicles has always been accidents involving deer, 2 cars totalled, chipped windshields. I've never had any problem...they know me by name and when I have a change of policy, I just send them a pic, email them the info. They have never asked to inspect either house. I would probably be livid if after all these years they wanted to come out and "inspect" my houses.

When we bought our second house and needed work done, we ran into a problem with a young plumbing contractor...seemed he didn't want to work at all even though he was paid...as you said, with the economy the way it is you would think customer satisfaction is a top priority...but I guess it all goes down to the individual doing the work...seems work ethic is something that is lacking big time in this country, just my opinion.

I have found our house and car insurance has been good to us for 20 odd years.

But I must admit most businesses do not care making their customers satisfied anymore, seems like if you do not like us go some where else.

Just blows me away, especially when the economy is so bad
default_no.gif

Remember our Post Office thread? Well, I had A and R paperwork that needed sent out and wanted to get insurance on them. I was told that they will not insure paperwork. So.............I said, well what can I do to insure that the paperwork is delivered without problems and the postal worker said I could do return receipt. Well, I told her that it wasn't the recipients that I was worried about it was the Postal Service. Real loud another postal worker yelled then go to FedEx. Real nice and just a little example of why the Postal Service may be in financial trouble.
default_no.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Vickie, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but let me say that you handled the situation PERFECTLY.

Too many businesses have become disembodied entities and are no longer answerable to their customers or their community. We all need to take our money and walk when we are treated this way, AND do business with smaller, local businesses who keep the "WE" in their operations.

We have our money in a local credit union (we talked with several and picked the one that gave us what we needed), shop locally when possible (for example, local feedstore rather than Coastal), buy produce from local farmers, frequent locally-owned stores and restaurants rather than chains -- in general, we let our money talk. Wherever possible, we barter to really bring it close to home.

Latest posts

Back