Just out of curiosity...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
I have been reading posts in the last few days about how certain horses can't eat certain hays. Can the same thing apply to pellets? The pellets have certain types of hay within them so I would think it would apply. Just checking. Could their stomachs be sensitive to a certain type of pellet? When I eat certain things I get very nauseated and in turn don't want to eat anything. I was just wondering if the same could be true for horses. Thanks!

P.S. Can they be sensitive to certain types of grass?? I'm not talking about founder but more along the lines of stomach upset when they eat it.

Last edited by a moderator:
They sure can. One of our broodmares can't have a pelleted feed that mainly consists of alfalfa, or pure alfalfa pellets. She also is sensitive if the grass gets too rich. Our herd all grazes the same amount of time and gets the same hay but she just is more sensitive. She just gets a belly ache, not full fleged colic.

I've worked at breeding farms where they won't feed the mares pelleted feed as they found many of them colic more often when pregnent. So they would feed a more extruded feed and found it helped the colic situation.

So yes some can be more sensitive then others.

What if the pellets are just timothy hay and some other mild ingredients?

I would think it's possible. . .also there could be a chance that you just got a bad bag or bad batch.

BUMP
default_whistling.gif

I think anything is possible and rule out nothing.

To answer your question in my humble opinion a pelleted feed such as a complete feed, depending on the company that created it, the roughage involved can be something luscious and nutritious such as beet pulp, alfalfa, or some type of hay. It can also be a ground up corn stalks or the weeds that Joe Farmer has just plowed up in his field. When buying pellets, you are at a visual loss to view the contents so you are putting a lot of trust into the feed company to ensure that what is on the label contents, really exists in the bag. Always go with a reputable company that has been in business with a great reputation.

Brandi --

I also was wondering if it could just be something in the feed that wasn't agreeing with Melody.

Like Marty said, a lot of the complete feeds are not a "fixed formula". The nutrition analysis is accurate, but the source of the roughage can vary batch to batch and depending on what is economical. I'm not sure which complete feeds use a fixed formula, but I do think SOME do (pretty sure Purina is NOT a fixed formula, but don't know about other brands).

BUT, if you're feeding a grass hay pellet, I would surely think that is a fixed, or mostly fixed formula... where time after time, it's going to be mostly that type of grass hay with only some added nutrients. That should not vary from time to time the way a complete feed may.

How is Melody feeling today? I hope she's still feeling good!

Jill

Last edited by a moderator:
You can have her tested for any allergies. I had a mare who was positive for rye grass, certain molds (mostly found in peanuts) and wheat. So, had to be very careful or we would really get her heaves going. It is likely that this is what created the heaves issues in early years. We were able to control most of the problems as we could control her food, pastures and such exposures. Only cost us about $150. of well spent money for the tests. May be less now. After that she lived a comfortable life and have several very nice foals before she crossed the bridge. I have 3 of her offspring and none have any allergies that I am aware of -- certainly no problems.

We had a colt here that was allergic to alfalfa and ivermectin of all things! Made him sick every time he got dewormed. A rarity no doubt but they happen.

Latest posts

Back