Just DO IT!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. This is a great question!! Lemme see.... hmmm.... the classics, of course. And as to the "why", I think reading just makes you more of a well-rounded person, opens your mind, helps your grammar, just really opens up your world and imagination. I wish more kids read books, and spent less time on computers and TVs and video games. Books educate you, no matter the book.

But, as to which specific books.... I am not sure, I do think there are some classics that just really must be read, for the simple fact that they are such great novels...such as "Tom Sawyer", "Black Beauty", "Robinson Crusoe", "Last of the Mohicans"...... so many more...

IF it's just for fun, and that's the only reason I read fiction, these are books I think almost anyone would really enjoy:

• The Stand, by Stephen King (my favorite book) -- it's so entertaining, but also very spiritual and deep with characters you care about and an interesting (very!) storyline.
  • The Stephanie Plum books -- so much fun, at least for women! ... and JUST fun! That's all it's really about, and that is perfection.
  • One REAL good southern fiction book (ie something like The Prince of Tides, Fried Green Tomatoes, The Help, or Crazy in Alabama) -- this is such a rich genre with characters you can't help but love and usually a good dose of humor.
  • The Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell -- great character development, interesting storylines, and you learn some interesting things along the way.

ALSO, I think there are a lot of people who haven't tried an audiobook, but would really enjoy them. Most of the narrators are so good, and it's just so relaxing to be read to. I really will not "read" a book for fun anymore, unless I can do it with an audiobook.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, I think everyone should read at least one classic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to enjoy the Kay Scarpetta series until Kay's boyfriend died, or did he? Then I didn't like the direction the neice was written. Otherwise I enjoyed Kay as a strong woman character.

I love the Stand also, after watching the movie, the characters came to life for me even more when I re-read it. This is like Jurassic Park, I can read this book over and over again and enjoy it as much as the first time.

There are several books brought to life for me in the movies, and I agree that Jurrasic Park is one of them. My hubby says I'm obsessed, since I watch whenever it is on, must have seen it 20 times and all the sequels. It's coming out in 3D this JUne.

As for the phrase Just do it, I live by that, as far as horses go, what ever I want I just do it, but, as far as reading the question is it meant for just me, or for all? As I don't know how to answer it. All I can say is I know what I like, but, can't force it on others atlthough I think that everyone should read a classic or two, like Les Miserables, or Moby Dick. I guess that is why teachers recommend them.

Latest posts

Back