Just curious.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]What other animals do your minis socialize with?[/SIZE]

OK here I go again. Just noticed the alpaca with mini was interesting. :lol:

Our Deer Dream Catcher and Rowdy:

DreamandRowdy3.jpg

Picture again of the Alpaca with Mini:

Hope Dontworrybeappy does not mind?

If so I will delete it.

pushmepullyou.jpg

I have a black pet rabbit. I just turned it loose not knowing how long it would stay here. (Been here since middle of Sept). It now goes out under the horses and climbs into the cherry tote feeders I have for them & climbs in & eats right in there with them. :saludando:

For a number of years, we had Babydoll sheep in the same pasture with our minis and they got along fairly well. The only problem was that my stallion wanted to chew the ears of the sheep. Weird huh! We have since sold our entire flock so now it's just horses.

Icelandic, a donkey, fjord though she is sold and will go to her new home soon, and d'Uccle chickens.

I really would like an gentle halter trained easy to handle Alpaca...but I have yet to come across one local and no more than $500.00.

Nah, I don't mind! We also have the sheep who hangs with the alpaca, the horses and dogs, a donkey who thinks she's a horse... the 4 dogs who take care of the horses, and a family of pigeons living in the ex-chicken house next to one or our turnouts. :bgrin

here's a group photo from a year or two ago - the goose in my arms has left us for the big goose-house in the sky, but that's Nani our last sheep and Ammy the donkey (BLM-bred, foaled into my arms!) along with me and hubby Michael, Trixie the corgi, Khornerstone the Arabian and a mini filly we recently sold.

wholegang1b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We lease some of our pasture out to a big Holstein operation, so some of our horses share a fenceline with them. We also have the mandatory gang of barncats and just last year lost our office/farm dog at 16 (whose tail can be seen in many of our pictures). Way back when we also had geese and pygmy goats that often found their way to the horses. Late every fall through winter, our Corriedale ram comes and lives in the bachelor paddock. This is Rooster coming to claim the attention the ram clearly doesn't want (pardon the poop--originally it and the sheep were cut out of the picture).

buckandrooster.jpg

The only other animal my minis spend any time with, is "Amber", our Anatolian. Se will be a year old Feb. 9. here is a picture I just took this afternoon of some of the mares and Amber.

ambermares1-29-07.jpg

And this used to be our special long time visitor, "Fawnie". She was a little fawn that must have been orphaned, that showed up in our pasture one summer. She thought she was a mini, and the minis accepted her as one!

This was her the day she arrived:

fawn2.jpg

These are some of my favorite pictures of her, taken the time while she was here. She showed up in early July one year, and left Mother's Day the following year.
default_sad.png
I really miss watching her out there with my horses.

She used to eat hay with the horses in the winter, graze with them in the summmer. She would even wait for me to pour a little pile of grain on the ground for her when I fed.
default_wub.png
:

She would let me get to within about 20' from her, but I never laid a finger on her...never tried to tame her...never wanted to, because I was worried it might make her an easy target for hunters. I think she got shot by a hunter that Fall. :no:

fawnie3.jpg

fawniewinter.jpg

fawniewinter2.jpg

fawniewinter3.jpg

fawniescratch.jpg

fawniesummer.jpg

sunbathing.jpg

Oh I miss my girl!!
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:
default_crybaby.gif
:

default_wub.png
: Cute pictures

Our boxer thinks she is a horse or the horses think they are a dog.The minis love London and she loves them.It is so funny to watch them groom each other and etc.

Moose our mini mare with London the boxer.

100_0721.jpg

raven our 2006 filly with london.

101_0282-1.jpg

Our Miniature Horses go out with our Gypsy Vanners (a rare small draft horse) The Gypsy Vanners are sweet, docile horses and love watching over the minis in the pasture - despite their size - they are great companions for minis!
default_yes.gif
:

This is our Gypsy Vanner Mare watching over one of our mini mares and her foal

Feather%20cristal%20and%20blizzard.jpg

This is our Gypsy Vanner Colt and our Miniature Stallion playing in the field - I wonder what he is whispering in his ear? :lol:

simbacasper1.jpg

simbacasper2.jpg

A couple more pics of our Gypsy Vanner Mare:

feather2.jpg

feather8.jpg

feather5.JPG

", and d'Uccle chickens."

What in the world is a d'uccle chicken?????
They are a true bantam with excellent temperaments...original from belgium. There are no larger counter parts. Very sweet and not very noisey.

motteledandbuttescotchhenfeb06.jpg

Blackmottledroofeb06.jpg

Our Miniature Horses go out with our Gypsy Vanners (a rare small draft horse) The Gypsy Vanners are sweet, docile horses and love watching over the minis in the pasture - despite their size - they are great companions for minis!
default_yes.gif
:
This is our Gypsy Vanner Mare watching over one of our mini mares and her foal

Feather%20cristal%20and%20blizzard.jpg

This is our Gypsy Vanner Colt and our Miniature Stallion playing in the field - I wonder what he is whispering in his ear? :lol:

simbacasper1.jpg

simbacasper2.jpg

A couple more pics of our Gypsy Vanner Mare:

feather2.jpg

feather8.jpg

feather5.JPG
OMGosh! I've LOVED Gypsies since I first saw one!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: If I had the $$$, I'd have one as my riding horse in a heartbeat!

I hope Janie, my Belgian that I ride, can't read this forum or I'm now in trouble! :eek:

Although I dont have pics right now (at work ! :new_shocked: )

Our minis share there home and fields with three llama's and my mom's

29 year old QH Fancy. (She thinks she is mother of them all !)

default_yes.gif
:
That is some serious mane and tail....!

What a magificant horse! I'm awe struck.
default_smile.png

OMGosh! I've LOVED Gypsies since I first saw one!
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
: If I had the $$$, I'd have one as my riding horse in a heartbeat!

I hope Janie, my Belgian that I ride, can't read this forum or I'm now in trouble! :eek:
I had minis before gypsies and really never wanted another breed of horse as I love my minis so much, but when I laid eyes on my first gypsy, I was hooked. They are beautiful horses and when I found out how gentle natured they were that sealed the deal and I had to have one!

It is so funny because the gypsies are almost like watch dogs. They will stand over the minis and guard them and the pasture - a stray cat can't even go in the field, because my gypsies will chase them off! :aktion033:

They also are very intelligent and believe it or not have a sense of which mini mares are pregnant (sometimes even before I do!) - My gypsy mare will literally walk up to any of the pregnant mares in the pasture and start smelling their belly up and down as if she knows their is a little baby in there! She doesn't do that with the mares that are open!! :new_shocked:

Here's Little Gabe hanging out with my hound/pit bull mix Tucker (they are best friends!):

223861604.jpg

And then here's Gabe when he younger, hanging out with my GSD/Rott mix, Bear (Bear's not really interested in Gabe.. though Gabe likes to chase him around!):

223861142.jpg

Edited to add:

(Of course, my clyde who is around the same age as Gabe hit it off really well when I brought him home. They became buddies and were inseparable.)

223862973.jpg

223861598.jpg

My mini mares share the pasture with my 3 yo. appendix gelding (born and raised with minis, he thinks he's a mini!), 2 yo. arab mare, 13 yo. QH/arab gelding, my uncle's 22 yo. twh mare, and a standard shetland. The minis seem to love being with them and get along great! It's a site to see when you look out at the pasture and see a 29.5" mare eating hay with my 16.2 hh appendix gelding. Sort of an Ugly Dachshund syndrom with my appendix thinking he's a mini and not a big horse!
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

I've put this up before but I always love sharing pics of the Three Amigos-Spirit and his two pals Ding and Ling. The are always together...even when they occasionally escape and run in the big pasture.... :eek:

PB190006.jpg

And here they are playing during the summer..I always like the green pasture pics over those drabby brown ones....

s1.jpg

Latest posts

Back