Jumping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
Do minis compete in jumping? I dont know much about the show world and minis.

If so what is it called?

Yes, it's called Jumper. Once everyone in the class has gone, they raise the jumps for all who had a clean round, this continues until there is one horse left that has had all clean rounds.

At a show a few years ago, horses were really afraid of this one jump in the hunter class (pace, form) and it was actually removed from the coarse after my horse, Derby, had his go. I think he thought it was for Jumper (height). He was just scared of it, knew he was to go over it, but didn't want to be close. But, the result is one of my favorite horse pictures
default_wub.png

Derby-WCMHR-Hunter.jpg

:DOH!

I guess I should have guessed that! LOL.

But thanks for the information.

Would anyone like to post pictures?

I have been working with Bonny in a fun, easy way this weekend. I wanted to see what she knows (very little!) And see what she likes. And it seems she likes to jump. I got a short video of her ( with my son dragging her as usual) over a jump. I doubt she is "good" at it but she likes it.

Here is the video..

Tell me what you think.

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x12/479...nnyjump1006.flv

I love that picture! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cute! Good girl, Bonny! Here are a couple of tips for you, to get the best out of her while she is jumping:

Give her a little more lead, and encourage her to drop her head to look at the jump.

Try and have her head even or in front of your shoulder when you are at the jump.

When the lead is too short, she will be pulling against the pressure, which causes her head to go up and she will not get the nice rounded effect desired over a jump. You want her head to drop down, and her knees to go up for proper form over the jump. This is known in the hunter/jumper world as "bascule." Also, if she is coming from behind you rather than being driven up next to you or slightly in front, she is more likely to refuse when the jumps get a little more challenging.

All in all, looks like both Bonny and your son are having a good time, and that is definitely what it is all about!

Yes, it's called Jumper. Once everyone in the class has gone, they raise the jumps for all who had a clean round, this continues until there is one horse left that has had all clean rounds.
That is how AMHA does it.

At AMHR shows, you need a clean round to advance to the second and final round, which is timed. Fastest mini with no faults wins.

Yes, but there are differences between the AMHA and AMHR classes. Im more familure with the AMHR jumping classes.

AMHR Jumper-

Based on time, basically run as fast as you can and clear every jump as fast as you can without getting marked down or taking down any jumps. The jumps do not get big, they are generally shorter.

AMHR Hunter-

Based on consistantcy and how the horse jumps, You can trot at any speed you want but you must be consistant and clear every jump. Horse should be collected and move at a consistant pace. If you start out at a slow trot, you must continue at that slow trot.

AMHA Hunter-

I believe its about the same as AMHR's version ?

AMHA Jumper-

The jumps get really high, i do not believe it is based on time? The jumps are way way taller then amhr's, its more on height, rather then time.

Someone may have to correct me on the AMHA rules ..

Leeana

yupp, theres two classes, hunter(on the style of the horse and the gates) and jumper which is speed! pm me if u want, i have two movies of my classes!

We compete in Pinto where the rules are similar to AMHA except the jumps never go up to 44". In hunter, you can trot or canter, but you should maintain the same gait and speed through the whole course. Tough when you are older or out of shape! Form counts a lot in hunter, but not at all in jumper.

Here is a shot of our best jumpers at a Pinto show. Consistency is a real plus - sometimes it isn't the horse that can jump the highest that wins, but the one that gets over the jumps without knocking any down.

CowboyPinto_show_2007003.jpg

Here is a my little 28.5 inch mare jumping.

In Maine we have jumping, no hunter yet.

Those with clean rounds go in again and they

raise the jumps. If there are more than one

horse with clean rounds, they time it. You and

your horse must be in good shape to compete

in jumping.
default_yes.gif

My little horses have to compete against the 38"

horses. My little mare loves it and brings home

the blue most of the time despite usually being

the smallest.
default_biggrin.png

Not sure what the height of the jump limit is.

Mercedeshighjump.jpg

mercedesHollis.jpg

Oh my gosh!

That is so cute. Its easier with the big horses to do hunter jumper as you can ride!

But the minis are so cute!

I will work on getting her to jump properly, give her more lead and try to get her to go with me or slightly ahead of me in the jump. I did notice she jumps cleaner when she is with you as she can see what she is jumping.

Do any of you free jump your minis? I see they can free jumps in round pens.

I would love to watch the videos if possible.

Also because she is not registered, are there any local shows I can look into? Or do any of the registries make allowances for grade horses?

I love to jog, I think she would be a good buddy with me....My dog will be so jealous.

Course I need to get her (and myself) in shape and start slow.

To give an idea what some judges like in Hunter, here is a photo of my son, Sawyer, winning Youth Hunter Over (12-Under) at the 2007 AMHR Nationals with Whispering Hill Farm Magician, who won AMHR Nationals titles in Amateur Hunter in 2005 and Amateur Jumper in 2006 and is the 2007 AMHR National All-Star champion in Adult Jumper, Open Hunter and Amateur Hunter ...

Sawyerjumpingmagic.jpg

Here is Sawyer jumping Classique's Phantom Gold, the 2005 AMHR Nationals Amateur Hunter Under champion and 2006 AMHR Nationals Open Jumper champ who also is the 2007 AMHR National All-Star champion in Adult Jumper and Open Hunter ...

SawyerandPhantom-1.jpg

And ...

This is a photo of my daughter, Samantha, jumping Quail Creek's Rumorhasit, the 2005 Pinto World Jumper champion in the Over Division, as well as the 2005 AMHR Nationals Reserve National champion in Amateur Hunter (behind Magic), the 2006 AMHR Nationals Open Hunter champion and the 2007 AMHR Nationals Youth Jumper champion in 12-Under. (Rumor also is the 2007 AMHR Nationals All-Star champion in both Youth and Amateur Jumper.) ...

RumorandSami.jpg

We're very fortunate to have minis who like to jump, and kids who like to jump them. Since 2005, we have won seven AMHR Nationals Jumper and Hunter championships and six Reserve National jump-related titles. Please visit our website to see more photos of our minis jumping -- www.enchantedhollow.net

Great questions you posted Bonny. I've also been interested in jumping and received some good information from this post.
default_yes.gif

We do AMHA but have been gaining some speed for AMHR seeing as we now have 1 show up this way. This mare can easily jump 44" and doesn't often knock anything down...she has a real nice tight tuck on her front legs going over and hates with a passion for anything to touch her rear legs. Her much shorter younger sister actually out jumped her last year. but she got sold and this one is preggers so we don't have a jumper this year...

DCjumping.jpg

I have to say I was really surprised how high these minis are jumping. I knew they could jump and are pretty athletic, but I was amazed. I am sure with her small hip Bonny wont be the greatest jumper, but it sure will be fun.

Debd- I am glad someone else can benefit! I dont know the show world at all and have so many questions. I just ask as they pop into my head.
default_biggrin.png

We jump in Australia too,

we have the following events...

Hunter - judged on style, and faults, but the horse with nicest style way of going and least faults wins, the jumps are never raised and there is never a jump off.

IMHRshowSun-329.jpg

Fault and Out - Judged on jump height, doesnt matter how they get over as long as they do and have no faults, one jump not a course, that is continuely raised, up and up, until only one horse remains

Six bar - A set of 6 jumps evenly spaced in a line, that gradually increase in height, the end jump being the tallest graduating down to the lowest being the start jump, the space between jumps is not great, being about 12 feet. This event keeps going the jumps are all raised evenly so they are kept in their gradual raise until one horse is left.

starbuckbigjump.jpg

showjumping - like a general showjumping course, big jumps little jumps, keep going and raising jumps till there is a winner!

warren1.jpg

starbuckjump.jpg

And yeap we jump in paddock halters =)

Koriana, I love that first photo! Your horse looks like Pegasus ready to fly away!

Here is a funny pic of Alladdin jumping. He wayyy over-jumped this one, he was being a doofus. I look like a spasmo also. As you can see, I think it is quite funny.
default_biggrin.png

Evergreen2007-jump.jpg

LOL, Starbuck my stallion is an arrogant begger he always watches for the photographer and poses :DOH!

thankgod my dad jumps him so i dont get the spastic pics of me looking like an idiot PML, but horses can be real doofus's sometimes, star loves to overjump he thinks its cool! lol

Kylie

Y'all your horses look great. I dont know that Miss Bonny will ever look that good.....

But as long as we both enjoy it thats ok.

Very nice pictures!

Latest posts

Back