Jumping Critique & Condition Update

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I've been working with Bow for some time now on her jumping since we've started weaning Ale a couple weeks ago when she turned 5 months.

Bow seems to be doing a lot better when it comes to her jumping. She's no longer huffing and puffing after just one jump. During the jumping session that I'm going to post she never once had heavy breathing. She jumped with ease (although not willingly, lol Poor lady's in heat)

I also took some pictures of her after her jumping session and her belly seems to have slimmed down and her top line has finally filled in.

I've decided that I'm going to show Bow next year in halter next summer at our local county fair and I'd LOVE to show her at the state fair in jumping just for the heck of it. That and to show people that an ex-broodie of six can still move.
default_wink.png
I'm pretty pumped. I'm also expecting her to do some damage.
default_laugh.png

But yup, I'm hoping to get her broke to drive and keep jumping her to get her in shape. It makes me wonder if you can jump/drive with a belly/body sweat on.

I'm pretty darn proud of this mare. She sure isn't the prettiest thing, but she sure is willing to learn and quick to do so. Roelene Lundy should be very proud of her little mare, and the horses she came out of. She sure has made me love the breed even more with her foals that she's produced and she's a very versatile gal. She's also taught me a lot about patience, foaling, and life itself. I love this girl. I wouldn't trade her for a bay Buckeroo/Golden Melody Boy bred mare. No matter how much I would like one.
default_laugh.png

Link:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=SbzUqy6VDZ8

Older Pics for Comparison (July 2010-September 2011)

http://www.facebook....=1&l=d718e5a3d5

Pics:

297929_169822876437596_100002296543466_345071_449550176_n.jpg

297929_169822879770929_100002296543466_345072_1005722195_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you got yourself a nice little jumper right there. It was really hard to tell with the video you posted the camera was at a bad angle and you couldn't really see her, but saw your other videos you made in July and looks pretty good. I think the more you condition her I think she will make a better jumping horse for you.

Just my two cents worth. I wouldn't try jumping or driving in a body sweat. Do some lunging on a hillside --- troting up and walking down building up to 20 or 30 minutes. This will increase her muscle tone and help with the belly. After 5 foals she may never lose that entirely. As long as she jumps willingly, as it looks like she is in the video, I'd say go for it. If you can train her to drive or have someone else do it, so much the better. I believe that all horses should have "jobs" other than just procreation.

Latest posts

Back