Joint Illness in foals(pray for our 2007 filly)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
We wanted to know if anyone has ever had a foal have joint illness.

Our 2007 bay filly who was born july 19 was great until today. This morning we went to feed her and her dam the filly was limping on her front left leg. We called the vet to tell him, because we were thinking she was kick by her mother or another horse.The vet said to bring her to the hospital to check her. We went to the hospital the vet thinks she has joint illness. So they vet said he will have to flush her joint today.The vet was going to do surgery today on her to see just what was going on. She didn't have temp or nothing. Her leg was a little swollen, but no bad.Last night she was having a great time playing with us. We haven't heard from him yet and it is 7:40pm here. We have been crying all day about this filly. We have had foals for five years never had this problem. We always have the vet check the mare and foal after birth. We always treat the cord for about 5 days as well. We have clean pasture and barns for them. So I am so sad to hear the vet thinks she has the joint illness . :no: Our vet said you can be the cleanest person and still have a foal get sick.The vet said it is like children you do everything to keep them well and safe.We would like for you all to pray for our filly. I hope by us sharing our story it will help others as well. We will keep you all posted on her.

Our girls are SO UPSET they love this girl. We have no ideal the cost of the surgery. WAITING ON THE VET TO CALL.

Thanks for your prayers ahead of time. You all are great pray folks.
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:
default_pray.gif
:

Here she is Star our sweet filly

DSC01202-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much.

we have been CRYING ALL DAY. Our horses are like our children we love each and everyone.I pray the Lord saves her.

I had a filly a few years ago... some of the members remember her story. She was born with joint ill that went undiagnosed for a week as a soft tissue injury. The first while she was able to stand on all 4 legs, then she was limping and not putting weight on her left back leg, then it moved to include the right back leg and she hobbled around in a dog sitting position. WE took her up to a vet in Northern VA that Ginny St. Pierre recomended. They flushed the joints then they opened one up to see how bad it was and the infection had eaten away the periostium of the bones. That is the growing part of the bone so there was nothing they could do but close her up and put her to sleep. IT was horrible here that year . We were so very sad . Especially since a whole week was wasted on a bad diagnosis. IF she had been treated rigt away she may still be with us.

I pray the outcome is better for your baby. The surgery cost us 1200.

Lyn

Our vet just called at 8:30pm.The vet said the filly STAR did have the joint illness in her left leg.The vet said she went through the surgery fine. The vet said is doing okay right now. We will have to wait to see how she does with the fluids and med. The vet said alot of the foals do great with no future problems and others not so great. we hope and pray our filly will be one of the ones who does GREAT.

PLEASE PRAY FOR STAR OF FILLY TO GET WELL SOON. The vet said if she does well, she might get to come home tues this coming week.Lord if something happens to star my girls will be so upset. we told them we would kept this filly for them.The look on the girls faces today at the hospital was so sad it is like they were leaving their best friend.

Our 6 week old filly has negative gram septicimia (I think I got that in the right order) with a fracture in her front right leg/elbow. X-rays, antibiotics and stall rest for her. They tried to pull some fluid but it was clear so maybe we got it early. She just came out of the stall lame one morning. My vet says always treat a lame young foal as an emergency. He thinks she will be okay as long as we can keep her fairly quiet in the stall.

Thank you all for your prayers. We have cry so much today we have headaches. I am praying the Good Lord will safe her and she will do great.This filly is so sweet. She loves people. She will try to sit in your lap. She loves to be petted.We are like everyone else asking ourselves why us, what did we do wrong to deserve this. :no: We try to do everything by the books and vets. We give shots, wormer and trimming. We make sure they are very well care for.We haven't been on a vac in five years, so we can take care of our horses.We are hoping us sharing our story about our filly will HELP others.

Melissa,

Lots of prayers for your precious little Star. She is just a little doll, it sounds like you have a very good vet and are doing everything possible to save her.

Please keep us updated - hugs for you and the girls.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your little filly. Hope she makes a complete recovery!!!

We have had joint ill occasionally over the years despite doing everything we could to prevent it. The first time I saw it was in an Arabian filly back in the '70s. Our vets have always treated it with a trimethoprim/sulfa drug (SMZ) and it has cleared quickly and completely. The foals went on to be sound saddle horses and the minis have been sound also.

I must be way behind the times. I've never heard of starting treatment with surgery.

I pray for a good outcome for your filly and for ease of your stress.

Charlotte

Melissa --

I hope this morning brings more good news from your vet about Star!

Jill

First :aktion033: for your quick acting and your wonderful vet, then prayers for her to continue to improve and come back home to you.

we just came from church. i haven't heard from the vet yet today. We are praying for good news.

thanks again for you prayers everyone.

Hello,

we just spoke to the vet about star this morning she is doing fine. So we hope she gets better soon.We would like to hear she is great in the morning.She is still not out of the woods yet.

We have only had joint ill one time in 25 years of raising miniatures. Our Vet treated the foal with Gentocin. She gave shot twice a day for 7 days. The foal recovered. The foal's joints swelled but went down after treatment with the Gentocin.

Prayers going your way.

CLARKS LTD EDITION

Surgery??

I had one a few years ago. The vet came out, drained the joint and flushed it. Put the foal on antibiotics and also an aspirin a day, which really kept the fever down, and the foal did just fine with no problem ever again. Also due to the antibiotics, gave the foal yogurt with live bacteria in it (have to read cause many dont now) to help with the intestines. You could use Probios too - comes in a gel and easy to give.

Hope all will be well. Mine didnt have to go to the hospital- the vet treated it right here, and the bill was not THAT bad.

She is a little cutie, and I am sure she will make a full recovery!

Prayers for you and your little one! I do know some people that came very close to losing a little one because of joint ill, she was at the vet office for a very long time with her momma. Good for you for being right on top of it!

I am surprised they would jump in with surgery right off the bat. We had joint ill in several babies years ago - 2 years in a row, never figured out why we had it or why we haven't since. All recovered just fine on antibiotics, one filly had to have a couple of joints flushed but it was just in and out at the clinic. We started them on SMZ, didn't get it so we stepped them up to Naxcel. We did have an issue with the antibiotics actually depressing the foals, lots of meds for one so young - they got Probios along with it but doing it now I would probably think about ulcers too as a result of the stress and meds.

Hope your baby recovers fully.

Jan

Latest posts

Back