Jazz's Adventure

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twister

Reaction score
Yesterday morning I dragged myself out of bed at 4 am (must be nuts) in order to leave at 5 am. We were going to be the star attraction at a walkathon in downtown Toronto to raise money for a seniors facility that I insure. We being Jazz my daughter Alex and myself. Anyone that has driven in Toronto knows about the traffic and the lack of parking so the first problem was transportation, I didn't want to take our trailer as it is a standard 2 horse and is 7' high so we wondered if Jazz would go in my mini van, (this was a week prior) so I walked him up to the side door and he looked at the step and just hopped in like he had been doing it all his life :bgrin , then we had to take him for a test drive around the block, that went well, he enjoyed looking out the window, usually in the trailer he can't see out. The next hurdle was safety, I didn't want him sliding forward if I had to brake suddenly. So my husband Sean built a box that can go in and out of the back of my van and it has a little gate for the front, so that was the safety issue solved, we were calling him "Jazz in the box" all week :bgrin

We put a tarp over the carpet, then some shavings to absorb any wet and then some straw on top, loaded him up, gave him a bag of hay to munch on and off we went. I was still a little nervous as the first part of the trip was back roads but we had to go on the 407 and the Don Valley Parkway both of which are mega lane highways and have lots of traffic, I was thinking he might freak out when a big truck went by. He really seemed to enjoy looking at all the vehicles going by and was very comfortable in his little box :bgrin

When we arrived in Toronto at 5 to 8, we unloaded him in a church parking lot and let him stretch his legs before the crowds arrived.

There was a photographer there from the local paper and he took lots of pics of Jazz with the seniors outside the building and inside the building, Jazz was so well behaved around the walkers and wheelchairs, kids running up behind him and hugging him, I was really proud of him. I know why all of us love these little guys they are just incredible and have such good natures, you can take them anywhere and do anything with them.

The seniors loved him and want him to come back again. We actually walked on the walkathon as well on Pape Avenue which is in the Greek area of Toronto and the storekeepers all came out to see the little horse go by, the barber offered to give him a haircut :bgrin

We finally loaded him back up just before lunch time but we weren't quite finished yet, on the way home we stopped off at my son's in Mississauga to give Jazz a break, I was a little concerned as he had not passed anything and we turned him loose in their back garden, he was quite happy munching grass while we had a bite of lunch. He still didn't go so we loaded him up to head home and sure enough as we left and turned the first corner he let loose and it was obvious everything was in working order :bgrin

I do have pictures but I always have a problem posting them so if someone would volunteer to post them for me I can email them to you.

Thanks so much

Yvonne

Sounds like Jazz had quite the adventure! Minis amaze me! Things that would totally freak out a big horse, they just take in stride. I think Jazz likes riding in the mini-van.....he wants to do it more often!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you had a great day Yvonne and although Willie and I would have loved some like-size company on the drive I am glad you chose to be a Mini ambassador instead! :bgrin Send me your pics of the day and I will get them posted for you!

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: What a great thing to do with your minis!! I'm looking forward to those pictures.
Karla, It was so much fun despite having to get up at 4 am, when I called Alex at 4:12 she moaned and groaned but got up anyway :bgrin It was a laugh when we went through the drive through at Tim Hortons for our morning coffee, the guys behind were trying to figure out what on earth we had in the back of the van, too funny :bgrin The seniors were so happy to meet Jazz and have their photo taken with him, it gave me a warm glow
default_wub.png
:

Yvonne

What a neat thing to do! Sounds like Jazz was quite the hit!

It just shows how awesome and versatile these precious little minis can be!

Lori, how nice of you to post the pictures for all of us to see - I know that I really enjoyed seeing them.

Hugs to Jazz, he is a great credit to the miniature horse!!

:aktion033: :aktion033: Sounds like you guys had fun :bgrin :bgrin

Care to send me a picture of your Jazz in the box, box? :bgrin

Love his hat
default_yes.gif
:

Tiffany

:aktion033: :aktion033: Sounds like you guys had fun :bgrin :bgrin

Care to send me a picture of your Jazz in the box, box? :bgrin

Love his hat
default_yes.gif
:

Tiffany
Hi Tiffany, We sure did have fun :bgrin I will email you a photo but the box is disassembled for storage right now, it is just 3 pieces of plywood bolted together that fits the back area of my van and then there is a 4th piece to act as a gate, cut lower than the sides so he could comfortably have his head over and eat his hay.

I will do this again as it was such a success. We had a tarp down under it all, then shavings and straw to catch any liquids etc :bgrin and it did work, nothing got through to the carpet.

Yvonne

Sounds like you have a really special boy there in Jazz! It is so nice of you to share your minis that way!
default_yes.gif
:

I empathize with you and Jazz not using any bathroom facilities. Jag did the same thing. I would take him out tot he grass ever so often, he would urinate, but not poop. But when we got home, man I was cleaning his stall for hours. He held it even in the trailer. They are such gentlemen and it is an honor to be able to be owned by them. Dontcha think?

Nancy

Latest posts

Back