Jack Gerhart - President of AMHA 1982-83

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
I wanted to let those of you who may have known him, that Jack Gerhart, Dublin, Texas, died on New Year's Day at the age of 81. Jack loved his miniature horses and had them throughout his life. In the early 80s he had some of the first miniature AMHA shows (back when we only had SEVEN show rules) in Dublin as well as a couple in Winters at Jno W. Norman's (where Rowdy was first "discovered"). Those early shows were such fun and usually ended with a big barbeque at the Gerhart's house, where they lived for fifty-two years, with many of their beloved horses in the back yard.

The first National Champion Senior Stallion (1979) was Texan's Big Bad John, the pride and joy of Jack at that time.

bigbadjohn.jpg

His wife, Mildred, was appreciative that Carol and I, as well as Elmo Curry (Concho Miniature Horses), who has been out of miniatures for twenty years came to the funeral. Those few of you that knew the Gerharts might want to send Mildred a card.

The funeral was so fitting for Jack, combining some rather unusual music for a funeral, but totally appropriate for him and very moving to me: "Home on the Range" and closing with "Happy Trails to You."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for letting us know, Tony. Truly one of the 'first' miniature breeders and I'm proud of the horses I've had in my herd with the 'Texans' prefix!

Another part of the Miniature Horse heritage to say the least. Thank you for letting us know. Those first shows sound like so much fun too. Appreciate you sharing with us.

Though I did not know the man, I am sorry but sounds like he had an active and enjoyable life with his horses.

I don't think the songs at his funeral were as unusual as you think these days. We had a long time friend pass away while we were in Canada this fall and got home the day before his funeral. At his funeral at his request that his wife found in paperwork he wanted the funeral to open with "Yellow Rose of Texas " and that was what they did. If you can call funerals nice, I would say this was the nicest funeral I even attended as the entire service was light and all about him. Even young grandchildren were involved in the service and it was lovely.

Joyce L

I am very sorry to hear of his passing. Its sad to lose one of our "founding fathers".

THanks Tony for putting this up. Jack was a true Horseman. And such a kind soul ! I always enjoyed seeing him and his wife at the shows.. We have over the years owned many horses from him.. One of our top driving horses came from him and even long after Tom was retired , Jack always would ask How Tom was doing..

Again thanks for letting us know.

Thank you Tony for telling us about this. Your memories bring smiles and I hope his family and friends can smile over those memories too.

Charlotte

default_pray.gif
: OUR PRAYERS ARE WITH HIS FAMILY.
default_pray.gif
:

THANK YOU TONY FOR LETTING US KNOW. HE WILL BE MISSED BY ALL.

GOD BLESS HIS FAMILY.

MELISSA
default_pray.gif
:

I am sorry to here of Jack passing. I had the privilege of meeting Jack a couple of times and he impressed me as a very out-going man with a true love of life and his horses. I had one of his horses here for a while named Texans Tango that was a roadster horse and that little guy could blow your hair back when you turned him on. He held the world record in Miniature Harness Racing for a couple of years while racing down in Florida.

Our prayers and deepest condolences to Mrs. Gerhart and family. We never got to meet him, but always heard wonderful mutual stories of "Back in the day" from a very special & dearest friend we were honored and so very blessed to have met during our time in Maine.

We've since met other folks here in Florida, at Sunshine Raceway, upon our return "back home" a few years ago, who also share such fond moments of wonderful times their families have shared.

Tony, thank you for sharing such beautiful sentiments of your friend. I dearly wish we could have met him too.

Our hearts and prayers are lifted for his family.
default_wub.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back