MOCHA'S CHEROKEE WAR DANCE

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mocha

Reaction score
In early April of 1993, after 348 days of anticipation, including a very uncomfortable (pre-camera!) stint in the barn during the (March in New England!) Blizzard of 93, an incredible chestnut colt was born to an elegant black tovero mare. We called him Cherokee War Dance to honor the Native American names in his pedigree – his mom NFC’s Cherokee Maiden, and especially his paternal grandfather Flying W Farms Wardance. Mom Cherrie was my very first mini, and this was her very first foal. (She has since raised 11 more, and is pregnant with #13.) This colt was also the first foal of my then young stallion Gingerbread Farms Jiminy Cricket, the Wardance son hand picked to cross with Cherokee Maiden. And this bright orange bundle of legs with the huge blaze and soft brown eyes was the 2nd foal I ever delivered (out of eighty something at last count), and part of my first foal ‘crop’ of three that year. A memorable night for me. My notes from Cherrie’s foaling diary tell me that he was 24 lbs, and my last words from that night, on the yellow legal pad page still bearing stains from various equine body fluids, are “He definitely has his Daddy’s disposition, a little pussycat. Beautiful head”. Beautiful head was underlined.
default_smile.png

First impressions. How true, how telling.

I showed the colt we called ‘Dancer’ as a weanling on what used to be a very full New England AMHA show circuit that summer. We had mostly one day shows then, and he would stand obediently in the trailer with his mom til time for his classes. We pulled grands and reserves that year to much bigger yearling and two year old stallions, and everywhere we went, photographers approached me to ask if they could take his picture for their portfolios – that gorgeous head again. And mostly, he was a very well-behaved little guy. I laugh at my naiveté and energy back then – I don’t think I have shown too many babies since, especially boys!

One of his first fans was Bonnie Fogg, who met him at about 3 months of age when we shared an aisle at the Springfield (MA) show, and for years she told me she kept his picture on her desk. Dancer made friends everywhere, and during his yearling show season, he also caught the eye of Judy Smith, and Judy finally persuaded me to let him begin his grown up life with her and husband Larry at their TIZ A Miniature Horse Farm in Loudon, NH. She promised him a forever home and remained true to her promise. Although I have not ‘owned’ Dancer for 13 years, you may be able to tell that this special boy has always owned me.

Judy did amazing things with Dancer. He learned to do everything one ever does with a mini and then some, and did them all well, always anxious to please. He and Judy were a totally bonded team, and Dancer a perfect ambassador for the Miniature Horse. Dancer was well known and hugely popular in New England, and then a few years ago was given the opportunity to shine his light even further when he began making early spring trips to Maryland to Bob and Pam Walsh’s Rockinghorse Acres (RHA). I believe James even showed him successfully ‘right out of the pasture’ one year at age 10! Some incredible show horses were the result of those annual excursions to Maryland, and Pam captured the beauty of this stallion, and that ‘beautiful head’ in her gorgeous photographs.

Dancer consistently passed along his best traits to his 47 registered offspring. Whether they had illustrious show ring careers, or filled up hearts as beloved pets, or had wonderful babies of their own – he stamped his kids with his loving, intelligent nature, and often “the head”, and on more than one occasion, surprisingly spectacular color and blue eyes, thanks to Mom Cherokee Maiden. An outstanding example of this is RHA’s Lil Beginnings banner featuring Dancer’s son RHA Wardances Wild Tango.

A week ago Monday, Dancer began a battle with colic that he just could not win despite the best of veterinary care at the New England Equine Medical and Surgical Center. In Judy’s words, “he was the greatest horse I ever owned”. She told me that he was very, very tired, and she said goodbye to him on Thursday afternoon. I am so glad that Dancer and Judy had each other for all these years, and I know that she would not trade those years, despite the huge empty place he has left in her heart.

But Dancer also left a legacy that everyone who ever had a place in his life can be proud of. For me, he remains one of the finest horses ever to bear the Mocha prefix. I cherish his sire and dam, and his four siblings who will never leave here, and I cherish my memories of the little orange colt with the big blaze and that ‘beautiful head’. We’ll always love you, Dance Man.

Mocha’s Cherokee War Dance April 3, 1993 - October 25, 2007

Cindy Moses

Mocha Miniatures

Im so so sorry. Would love to see a picture of him. They have such a huge impact on our lives!

Thank you all. I haven't posted pictures here before, but I'll give it a try.

James Walsh, if you are there - can you help post your Mom's pictures?

I am sooo very sorry to hear this. While I have seen only pictures of this wonderful stallion, I have admired his get "hands on" at shows. The quality of his get was so refined and animated, yes -- with that most beautiful head he gave, many with the blue eyes.

The impression was so great that I could never get them out of my minds eye and had asked about bringing a mare or two for breeding but that never got off the ground. Sadly, it now will never be. It is so hard when these beautiful and nicely producing horses lose their lives so young. Unfair would be an appropriate conclusion.

May you rest in Peace, Dancer. You will be missed by many of us....even unknown to you.

A beautiful tribute to a beautiful horse!
default_wub.png
: I never saw him in person but I've seen plenty of his get. He was an amazing horse. Rest in peace Dancer.
default_bye-sad.gif
:

Oh, Cindy I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. :no: He sounds like he was a great sire, show horse, and was part of a great team.
default_wub.png
: He had the looks and personality. Dancer was a beautiful boy. May he rest in peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
To: Cindy & Judy:

I was feeling pretty chipper on this chilly and windy day until I just read this post Cindy. I am so sorry for you and for Judy to lose this wonderful guy to colic. He had a brillant show life and wonderful homes with both of you and I remember him well. My condolences go out to both or you-------to you Cindy who raised him and to Judy who had him for most of his life. Both of you do remember all the good times with him and he had sons and daughters to keep spirit going.

Joyce L

Little Folks Farm.

What a wonderful tribute for a great horse. I'm so sorry for your and Judy's loss. Thats just so sad.

Your post brought tears to my eyes, I'm so sorry for your loss, he sounds like such a wonderful boy.

He has been one of my favorite stallions since I first opened one of the breed magazines 6 years ago when I started on my Miniature Horse adventure. I even searched websites for him this year hoping one day to own one of his babies. I'm so sad to hear he has passed away and can only hope someday to own a grandbaby of his.

Hugs!

Thank you all so much for your kind words.

Here is my attempt at a picture. This is one of Pam's that I had on my web site.

dancer1.jpg

There is a picture of Judy driving him at his last show at Deerfield Fair on the Denlore photograpy website. It's the last sunday am folder. Hard to believe he's gone I saw him last month at the show. He was the best mannered little guy. My condolonces to the Tiz group.

What a wonderfully written tribute to a wonderful stallion.

I'm SO very sorry he is gone.
default_crybaby.gif
:

{{{hugs}}} to all who loved him.

What a great boy he was.

Thanks Linda. I hope I don't get into trouble for 'borrowing' this.

Here is Dancer with Judy at the Deerfield, NH Fair just about a month ago.

df%20(3829).jpg

It is truely amazing how these little equines capture our hearts and souls..We are sorry for Judy's and your loss.. God Speed Dancer.....

Latest posts

Back