It's is Blanket Time!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisFit Farms

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
default_saludando.gif
It has been quite a while since I have posted. I have an almost 8 month old filly and I am ready to buy her a blanket. I have measured her at a size 40. How do I go about getting her used to wearing it? I haven't purchased it yet, but want to be prepared for when I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

Here's how I do it: Start slow, with some things that she is used to - like brushes or washcloths.

I would start working all over her body with something she is used to, like during a grooming session, and then do the same thing with a small towel. Show her the object, let her sniff it, touch her with it - neck, shoulder, etc. - until she looks comfortable with the concept. Then gently rub the towel over her back, neck, cover her head with it, and then rub it down her leg as far as she'll let you. If she's not spooked over that, do the same thing with a larger towel, and then lay it across her back like a blanket. You might try using a soft rope or lead, and again do the same thing, then drape the lead over her back like the straps for the blanket would be, and pretend to tie it under her belly, so she gets used to that as well.

Put the towel on, take it off, like you would a blanket, until she's totally bored with the procedure. With a baby, you may not get through the whole process in a single session, maybe more like a week of daily (short!) sessions. If she starts getting scared or cranky, go back a step, give a quick brush with her usual brush for example, and then quit for the day. Then start it all over the next day.

Then, once you buy the actual coat, get her accustomed to it, as above, and she should not fuss (unless she's warm and doesn't want her coat on!). My horses see the blankets coming and stick their heads right through the neck opening for me and wait for me to fasten the buckles. These little guys catch on quickly that coats are comfy!

Oh, and just fyi: My gelding will undo velcro on himself and anyone around, so you may want to find a coat with buckles if your filly is the investigative type. Sometimes you can duct-tape the velcro straps slow them down, but that doesn't always work for long...

If you're looking for shopping suggestions, I bought my winter horse coats from KVVet (http://www.kvvet.com); they are reasonably priced and work really well, and they come in 3 sizes. My 32" mare wears the medium and my 36" gelding wears the large. Look for the Polar Shield Waterproof Foal Turnout Blanket.

Sorry if this is too much info... I get carried away, sometimes...
default_rolleyes.gif

Not at all!! Thank You for all the great advice! Luckily she is pretty layed back and is used to being touched and fussed with. She has no problem playing in the sheets that are hung on the line. She walks right under them and lets them glide over her!! Then she pulls them down and lays on them! The point of that whole thing is that the sheets go over her back and it doesn't seem to bother her at all...may be a different story when it comes to a blanket though!!!
default_rolleyes.gif

Most of my horses have no problem with blankets - they are pretty well socialized and trusting. I've had a few though who think blankets are going to eat them. Just take your time and approach slowly with the blanket.

Jan

I would suggest that if she measures at a 40" at 9 months old I would suggest a 42"-44" blanket. You don't want her out growing it mid-winter. Just a suggestion.
default_smile.png

Are you sure that you need to or should blanket her? Mine do fine out in the snow and weather and I have been told it is better not to. I do blanket in the spring when it is still too cold and I need to start clipping to get ready for show season. Then in the fall if I have shaved them late for show, I mostly blanket at night while their coats are coming in for winter. Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure that you need to or should blanket her? Mine do fine out in the snow and weather and I have been told it is better not to. I do blanket in the spring when it is still too cold and I need to start clipping to get ready for show season. Then in the fall if I have shaved them late for show, I mostly blanket at night while their coats are coming in for winter. Barb

I blanket my big guys in extremely cold or cold and yucky weather. I don't like them to be out in sleet and snow with no blankies on..personal preference I guess
default_rolleyes.gif

I think I will get a 42..I didn't think about the fact that the size may change in a few months!! She has grown so much so far! When I got her she was 28" Now she is about 31" I have gone through 2 halter sizes!

Latest posts

Back