Is this the normal shape

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandi*

Reaction score
I was browsing the local craigslist and came across this ad. I don't know much about breeding but does this mare look like she should have that baby on her? I was surprised that they even posted a picture of her since she is in such bad shape
default_no.gif

http://modesto.craigslist.org/grd/874032458.html

She needs groceries for sure.

And will you look at the ears on that baby!

I know! I noticed those ears after I got over the shape of that mare
default_new_shocked.gif
I am just sick after looking through the ads on craigslist
default_no.gif
I really wish I could take one in right now. So many of them need homes
default_unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if they changed the picture of the mare? She looks thin to me but not at all desperately so. Sometimes a first foal especially can seem to take more out of a mare (just from the little I've seen) and sometimes people don't know at first how much it takes to feed a mare who's feeding a foal. I'm thinking though there may have been a more dramatic picture of the mare before? Because she's not in really thin shape in the picture I'm looking at -- and maybe I'm just not able to see the pic as well as you? darn eyes... but I'm not seeing hip bones or anything... I do see those bunny ears tho
default_smile.png

Anybody ever try to break a 20-year old broodmare to ride? I think this girl just needs a retirement home.

Nope Jill same picture. I was mainly looking at her tail bone area and hip area. Her bones are protruding there for sure. Anyways that's why I asked because to me it looks like she is having trouble putting weight on herself let alone providing for her baby.

My sister's Haflinger mare was nice and fat before she foaled.After she foaled ,
default_new_shocked.gif
, skin and bones.It was all baby,this filly was huge from birth. At 5 months old she's almost as big as her mom, but boy it sure has taken a toll on this poor mare.

I finally convinced them that baby was pulling too much out of the mare,and with the onset of winter she NEEDS weight on her.

She's been out in my field for a week now, and it looks as if her bag is lessening, and I'm seeing less bones (my imagination?...perhaps..)

I'm really surprised no one has offered donations for my "rescue" lol.

Latest posts

Back