Is this guy silver?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowcapped

Reaction score
I got my new gelding yesterday and was just curious about color as the person I got him from called him a grey but I think he is silver. Doesn't matter which color he is either way but I just can't help to be curious.

I attached his baby photos as I haven't gotten any good ones of him yet.

He is adorable and sure looks like a silver dapple (silver black) foal
default_smile.png

Susan O.

If he is fading to white then he is grey, if his color stays pretty much the same, then he is silver dapple. Also if neither his sire or dam are grey, then he can't be either. But those are pretty baby pictures of him. I also say silver.

He actually looks silver smokey black to me. Does he have one parent that carries the cream gene? ie: palomino, buckskin, cremello, perlino, smokey cream or smokey black?

Oh my gosh how cute/LOVE that color.Thats the color I wa shoping for when misty had her foal. LOL but she wasn't bred.

LOve it! i think silver too,,what color was he when he was born?how old is he now and what color is he?

Here are a couple pictures from when I went to meet him about 2 weeks ago and here is the address to one when he was younger and recently clipped http://i.imgur.com/w6oJ9Gf.jpg .

I'm not sure what colors his parents are as it doesn't say on the papers I have for him. He'll be 6 in April.

fZfCOuc.jpg

IHz1X0k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
silver dapple. Should be just about all white by now if he were a true grey.

Silver Black, typical of it. Not Grey!

Silver Blacks with Grey are very often (bit not always) born white.

What a precious face!!! I'd bet the farm: SILVER
default_wub.png

LOTS of people call silver dapple "grey"... but grey in the horse world means "white" (a horse that has "greyed to whited" due to having a true grey parent). I love either color
default_yes.gif

I would bet a large percentage of miniatures who are registered as "grey" are really silver
default_smile.png

MY FAV COLOR! Misty is a silver dapple as well. See how when shaved her belly really shows her color under that winter rug?mistycuteX.JPGDSC04288.JPG

Latest posts

Back