Is this a dumb idea...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
I live 300 miles from all of my family and I've lived like this for the last 13 years. It's really hard for me since family is everything to me. I hate it that I missed out on all of the little things that people take for granted with my sister, brothers, nephews, nieces, and parents. Not to forget my extended family of cousins and aunts/uncles.

We sometimes feel like we're "out of the loop" on many things that family tends to do. We only go up there once a year, sometimes twice if there's something going on. I think that my family up there has missed out on a lot too when it comes to my kids growing up and getting bigger and many other things. Birthdays, most holidays, and the simple everyday spontanious smiles and laughter,

So, long story short I decided to make something for my family that can be a part of me and my family so that they can watch and feel close to us at any time. I have a program on my computer that makes slideshow type movies that you can add special effects, music, and other things. So far I have scanned photos and collected my digital photos and made a slideshow that expands 3 songs.. they are Celine Dion singing "Because you loved me" and a song called "I love you more than you'll ever know" and then Rascal Flatts song "My Wish".

Ok, so my goal is to have photos from birth to yesterday of my kids... not all posed pictures, but those that you sneak in when they don't know you're looking...natural photos. Plus a few photos of me and my husband thrown in here and there. I wanted to burn it all onto DVDs and mail them to my sister, brothers, and parents so they can watch them any time they want to on their tv and hopefully feel a little closer to us.

Do you think this is an ok idea or do you think it's tacky? Do you think they would like getting a dvd with me and my family ? It's the only way I feel like they can feel us being a part of the family any time they want to... the only way I know of that can make those 300 miles just a number because I want them to know the love remains just as strong as if it were 3 miles.

I do that! I did one of our cabin from ground breaking in 2002 - this summer (for my family to see thay are all over the US) it was 4-5 songs long and everyone just loved it! I did one for our school which was closed this year and I took pictures through out the year and made a copy for each child in the school. I also am doing one for my sons football team throughout this season and will show it at the end...

That is not a dumb idea. I think its a wonderful idea. My son is in the process of getting a family dvd together for my parents set to music. My parents (his grandparents) are in their 70's and lived in Florida for over 15 years (We all live in Maine). SO for christmas he wants to put a dvd together of photos from the when my parents first met ( we had to archive some photos!!! ) to now. I know for them it will be a huge hit. I am sure your family will think so too!!!

Such a great idea!!!!

Good luck with it

Julie

Kim, thats a beautiful idea and I'm sure your family would love it. They most likely miss seeing all your children grow and your activities as much as you miss theirs. Maybe your far away relatives could do one too for your family to see. Heidi

For my parents first anniversary, I did a slide show of their wedding photos set to music and did up a really pretty CD case for them. They really loved it! I had a lot of fun doing special treatments to the photos (cropping, black and white, or color accenting parts of a black and white pic) and choosing the music. It really could have been done in a couple of hours but I worked on it for DAYS LOL to make it just so. Its a really nice idea cause after you do one or two they get really easy and you can pop simple ones in the mail a few times a year (after birthdays and stuff)

no this is NOT dumb! great idea!!! and you should also ask them to do one in return... another great idea! if my aunt were computer literate i would do one of us for her, but she can't even e-mail half the time :eek:

our riding club has had a few done after rides, and everybody wants a copy!!!

Latest posts

Back