Is there anything I can Do About This???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2Minis

Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]I purchased a Mare, Stallion and their 1 year old filly back in Feb. of this year. The filly had not been registered yet so I had to pay to have both parents and the filly DNA'd, registered, transfered, etc. thru AMHA. OK, I got all the DNA back for the mare and stud but never received the registration papers for the filly. So I called AMHA today and they said the filly's papers are all done and she is parent qualified but they can not send me the papers until the breeder files a late stallion report! I am so frustrated at this..............Is there anything I can do???[/SIZE]

Contact the breeder and ask them to send in a stallion report. If they have any problems with that then offer to pay for it.

AMHA sent the breeder a letter over a month ago and no response. I have spent over $200.00 for transfers, DNA, etc. and no papers for the filly. :DOH! Sorry I have to vent! :DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fill out the stallion report yourself except for signatures and breeding dates, send it to the breeder complete with a check to cover the fees made out to AMHA and an adressed envelope to AMHA. I know it is not right you should be paying but I have run into this enough to say it is sometimes better just to bite the bullet and pay.

I agree with Stormy. I have been through this, too ,and it can really drag out if you wait on the breeder. Good luck
default_smile.png

I dont understand why a breeder would not send in a stallion report. So this happens quite frequently?? I was told that in "Big Horse" registry's that a breeder will get suspended for this. Why does the AMHA put up with this out of their breeders???

Aggravating situation and not the norm, but yes it happens. It would be worth a phone call on your part to the breeder to see why it's not done, and if you don't get results I agree I'd probably bite the bullet and take care of it myself, except of course for breeders signature. AMHA does require a late report penalty fee.

Jan

Been there, Done That , bought a dozen T shirts!! I have been told that if the DNA matches that AMHA will go ahead and release the papers for the offspring. I would call them (AMHA)again with your situation and ask them to release papers as they have already proven she is the offspring and you have paid for the parents to be brought back current. I believe that is what happened in my case as after about two months of the DNA results I finally got the papers in the mail-doubt the breeder ever sent in any forms!! As I said I have been down this road several times and I have found AMHA to be very understanding and accomodating (at my expense, of course!).

Does anyone have any idea if you hardship a unregistered hors einto AMHA if you ahve to DNA them.
default_wacko.png
default_unsure.png

Does anyone have any idea if you hardship a unregistered horse into AMHA if you have to DNA them.
default_wacko.png
default_unsure.png
yes, one of the costs/requirements of a hardship application is the DNA test

eta:

Years ago, we looked at some horses, the stallion reports had never been sent in, because "we didn't want to spend any more money on registrations"

at the time, that would have been a grand totoal of about 36 cents. Now that AMHA requires a $10 fee for an on-time stallion report, and $25 for a late one, guess how much worse the attitude can get!

I do not think it is fair AT ALL for ME to pay anymore fees than I already have paid due to the breeder not doing what they were supposed to. So actually a breeder could breed horses year after year and NEVER file a stallion report and the purchaser of any foal is held responsible to pay for the stallion report or not get papers??? This makes no sense at all and I think some rules need to change. I definately thought that sense my girl was parent qualified (at my expense for all 3 horses), there should be no reason why my papers are on hold. AMHA told me that her paerwork is ALL done and approved, just waiting on the stallion report!

Now lets stop and think about this hear.

If every single time someone felt they were being wronged by the registry, and we changed the rules, well why have any rules in the first place.

There is a very simple and reasonable way to deal with these sort of situations before they happen, and that is check on all paperwork. It is not the AMHA's responsibility to make sure paperwork is correctly filed BEFORE. They can only do what they have been doing since their beginning, and that is regulating the paperwork process that COMES THROUGH their office. They are only able to regulate what they actually see, and those things that were not filed with them preceding.

I am sorry this has happened to you, but it has happened to others.

Also in other large horse breeds it would take a lot more than not filing a stallion report to be suspended. They might pay late penalties etc, but suspension from the registry, that takes a lot more.

I agree with CLC Stables (sorry I don't know your name) that before I ever purchased a horse from someone, I made sure all paper work was done and done correctly before I'd buy the horse. Sure beats having problems after you've bought and paid for the horse and then can't get it registered until the former owner comes clean and does what should have done in the beginning.

Joyce

Sorry but you cannot make sure that the breeder sends in the Stallion report. They are the ones at the end of the year that has to turn this in to the registry. If they don't then some breeders just will not respond to any correspondence with the new owners. No the registry cannot make sure the paperwork is filed.

But when both parents are DNAed and the foal is DNAed and the results show that the foal is out of both sire and dam then the foal should be able to be registered through the registry. Especially if the new owner will pay for the late fees that the breeder should have.

Also the registry does not automatically suspend the breeder if reports are not filed. If a breeder does not step up and take responsibility for a mare in foal that they sold they do not need to be breeding.

The best way to stop the breeder from doing this is to take them to court. Send them a certified letter showing the price difference between a registered foal and a non-registered foal. Then show them the amount that you will sue for in civil court. This would be the price difference between non registered to registered. Go to thier county court house or get the paperwork on-line. Most counties have websites you can get this paperwork from. Then when you file, file for all that you are out due to thier ignorance.

I am tired of some breeders that will not take responsibility. There are VERY few that do this but there is NO excuse for it. We all know what has to be done and when it has to be done by. If you cannot do this STOP selling REGISTERED horses.

Sorry but you cannot make sure that the breeder sends in the Stallion report. They are the ones at the end of the year that has to turn this in to the registry. If they don't then some breeders just will not respond to any correspondence with the new owners. No the registry cannot make sure the paperwork is filed.

But when both parents are DNAed and the foal is DNAed and the results show that the foal is out of both sire and dam then the foal should be able to be registered through the registry. Especially if the new owner will pay for the late fees that the breeder should have.

Also the registry does not automatically suspend the breeder if reports are not filed. If a breeder does not step up and take responsibility for a mare in foal that they sold they do not need to be breeding.

The best way to stop the breeder from doing this is to take them to court. Send them a certified letter showing the price difference between a registered foal and a non-registered foal. Then show them the amount that you will sue for in civil court. This would be the price difference between non registered to registered. Go to thier county court house or get the paperwork on-line. Most counties have websites you can get this paperwork from. Then when you file, file for all that you are out due to thier ignorance.

I am tired of some breeders that will not take responsibility. There are VERY few that do this but there is NO excuse for it. We all know what has to be done and when it has to be done by. If you cannot do this STOP selling REGISTERED horses.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I *thought* AMHA had passed a new rule stating that if a buyer had a completed service certificate on a foal, the foal could be registered whether or not the mare was currently listed on the Stallion

Report. AMHA would then go after the breeder to complete the Stallion Report, etc.

I can't seem to find that in the rule book, however.....

I would be as nice and accomidating as possible to the breeder at this point. No sence in getting them mad at you, and agitated.. they just might drag there feet more if you do.

Yes, this should have been done,- but in this day and age, you should check on those things, before purchasing, to make sure all the paperwork is up to date and ready to go.

Your main goal now is to get the registration papers for your horse as smoothly as possible..

And this has happened to me too, but I patiently persisted, with "kind"- reminder phone calls, and waited for the stallion report to be filed, yes, even to the point of paying for it..(if necessary) Afterwards- checking up on it, with the registry, to make sure it was getting done.

Latest posts

Back