is she champagne??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeaky

Reaction score
Hi All,

We are trying to figure out the color of our new shetland filly. We think she is a champagne as her skin a brownish-color, she has speckling, and she has that metallic sheen. What do you guys think?

f1b178e5.jpg

f1b09608.jpg

f1b095a1.jpg

Thanks!

Amanda

[try using google for champagne horse or something like that, the champagne sites I have seen are very good at providing photos of what they look like .

It is really hard to tell true colors when their coats are clipped. sometimes the base coats have undercoats that are not true to their "real" colors.

If she has really dark eyes, as they appear in the photo, she is probably not champagne... she is a pretty girl regardless of the color definition assigned to her!
wub.gif

She is VERY VERY pretty!!! I think she looks more like a silver dapple pinto than champagne, but it's hard to tell from those photos.

Andrea

Hard to tell w/those misty pics, but I will say this:

Mouse has all the characteristics of a Champagne except mottling.

When he was born, his eyes were a clear, light aqua color, and his skin was pink (it still is a pinkish color, just darker pink, now). When he shed out, his coat had a metallic sheen reminiscent of a Weimaraner (sp?) dog.

He is, however, not a champagne unless it can skip generations (he is a great grandson of Dell Teras Hippy through his dam). He is a silver dapple on smokey black, and I guess the dilute is where the light eyes come in...?

Pretty girl, no matter the color. I'd love to see more of her.

Liz M.

Hi Amanda,

Here is the site to read all about champagne requirements and characteristics.

http://www.ichregistry.com

She is very pretty but she would have to have at least one parent who was champagne and also be born with bright blue eyes. When the freckles develop they are dark freckles on light skin.

Also "most" champagnes are born darker and lighten with age.

But go to that site and compare pictures if you think one of her parents was champagne. :) Do you have pictures of her parents that you could share?

Susan O.

Hi All,

We are thinking she might be champagne as she isnt a normal buckskin color. Her skin is a yucky brown color, and her eyes are a greyish-brown color. We didn't foal her out and so I don't know what color they were when she was born. If she isn't champagne, then what do you think she is? On her back, she has a dark grey patch and then the rest of her body is a grey color with gold metallic highlights. Here is a picture of her dam, who we think "might" have the champagne gene:

f1b1797a.jpg

And her sire:
Chip_side-465x380.jpg

Thanks!!

Amanda

What color are the dam's eyes? And does the dam have mottling either around her eyes or nose and mouth?

Oh, and who is your filly's sire???? (I think I recognize him.)

MA

new_multi.gif
Bumpin' this up for updates. I couldn't see the pictures when I viewed this thread at work, but looking at the filly now at home I would not call her champagne. Her dam does not look like she carries it either, but it is possible that the dark goop on her nose and eyes is hiding the give-away skin color.

Champagnes are easy to recognize by the strange color of their skin, it often looks a lot like a labrador retriever dog (and the genetics are related). I would say she is a silver dapple, and if it weren't so obvious that neither of her parents is I would have said possibly a true gray. Look closely at that picture of her mother- she looks like she has dark lower legs. If she was a silver bay, that would make her daughter a silver dapple.

Leia

Hi you guys,

OK, We know that she is NOT silver dapple. Her dam doesn't have dark legs(that is the black boarding/shadowing stuff that the pintos will get) and her sire is a true black, no greys in her pedigree except for waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy back. We are trying to figure out why the dam has specking on her chest, and in her white socks. The dam is also getting a dorsal strip about 4 inches wide of an orange-yellow color. The filly is a full blooded shetland and so we know it isn't appy. The filly is not a silver dapple as she is now gettin gold tones through out her body and on her face. Someone else suggested that she was a buckskin just going through the dark stage. This may be true, but it doesn't explain why she had her specking on her chest, and her pumpkin colored skin. I looked at her legs better today, and they are a blue, (attached photo of color...the color of the water is the color of her eyes. I know they say that the champange gene doesn't exist in shetlands, but you never know with these guys(and people registering their colors..
rolleyes.gif
)
Blue-StormB.jpg

MiniV- Her sire is CS Chocolate Chip owned by Lori Garland of Ellensburg Wa. Thanks!

Amanda

ETA: Her eyes are the color of the water on the darker side.

Last edited by a moderator:
The person to ask is Carolyn Shepard,.. [email protected] Founder, and president of the ICHR... I was told by more than one source that the stallion in my avatar was not a Champagne when I found him.. People said that he was a silver dapple, or a buckskin several times.. After sending a few up close photos to Carolyn, she confirmed it, and several weeks later, he and his sire were registered with the ICHR as true Champagnes. She will also need to know the linage of both the sire and the dam, as this helps her to trace the champagne gene.. Up close skin photos (eyes, nose, under the tail) of the parent, that you think carries the gene will also need to be submitted. http://www.ichregistry.com " I remember being told that one of the parents has to be a champagne in order to produce one."
yes.gif

The champagne dilution is not known to exist in Shetlands.

What are the parents registered names? Carolyn is going to refer the pedigree to me on this one to me if she gets it so might as well get started early!

Margaret and Lewella are right!

Lewella is great with Shetland pegdigrees and Carolyn should see clear closeups of her!

Good luck in your search of her true color :)

Susan O.

She could be silver dapple though. The dam is a palomino, which is red-based. The red-based colors don't necessarily show the silver gene. It certainly wouldn't give a palomino horse darker legs. If the dam is carrying the silver gene but not expressing it than she could pass it on to the filly. Add the black gene from the sire and voila! you have silver dapple
biggrin.gif

Interesting what you learn on this forum. Love your filly weather she is champagne or not!
smile.gif

Margaret said:
I was told by more than one source that the stallion in my avatar  was not a Champagne when I found him..  People said that  he was a silver dapple, or a buckskin several times..
Margaret, I would have said your stallion was a classic champagne color! He's got that give-away skin. Squeaky, can you just skip all the guesswork and have the filly color tested?

Leia

Yes Leia, He is a Classic, but it was hard to prove, for several reasons. First off it is rare for any new linage of miniature champagnes to "pop up out of the blue" anymore. ( Most of them have been discovered by now) Secondly his sire was mis-registered as a Cremello, at 12 years old. And third, Prince wasent shaved down so he looked more like a dun color, and his freckles were light. (they darken with age) So the scrutiny was heavy when I claimed that I had one. Even Carolyn had her doubts initally, but once she studied the linage,( and found a champagne link on the sires side) and saw close ups of the sire-she became a believer, as he turned out to be a Gold Champagne insted. ( I allways knew he wasent a cremello- because he had hazel eyes, and looked more like a palomino) Also- there is no test for the Champagne gene. -Just specific characteristics that identify them.
yes.gif

Hi Amanda,

I am replying to a post you has quite a while ago about a filly that you were trying to find if she was Champagne or not.

All the photos have been disabled except for the one of her sire CS Chocolate Chip.

We recently rescued Chip and I am trying to find out as much about him as possible. Do you still have any photos of this particular filly? and so you happen to have her name?

Thank you so much for your time and any information you might be able to provide!

If I can figure out how to do it I will attach a current photo of Chip.

Thanks so much,

Jackie

Chip October 2012 dx.jpg

Chip 72312 a.jpg

Back