Is it possible for a Silver Dapple to turn white?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdtexas

Reaction score
Noticed a few sparsley arranged white hairs on my 2 1/2 yr old mare. Sire solid grey and dam is palomino. I had my mare tested for cream and she was negative. I know a gray can turn white but can my dappled silver black do the same thing? Her mane and tail are faxen color but I'm noticed a few gray hairs in her mane too.

thanks for your time!!!

I'll try for pics later; the white hairs are just single hairs very sparsely spaced over her back.

Yep if one parent is gray it is very possible for them to gray out no matter what color they started.

I think gray horses look so sharp in the ring :)

[SIZE=14pt]If one parent is grey and one palamino then the likelyhood of your mare being a silver dapple is slim . She is probably some other color with dappling. Many silver dapples have white hairs in mane and tail. If she were grey which is a totally different thing from silver, she would have been born black or brown and gradually get more grey as she ages. Silvers are born silver pr a buff color and dont change much.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Just have to put this in here. I'll post a picture of my guy as of last year. I've been told he is Silver (dapple) Black.

awesomeFirstShow.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures this year but he's getting darker. I have been saying it's strange but it almost looks like exposure to the sun darkens him as under the mane he is a lighter shade. However, he's getting grey hairs in his tail and the front portion of this mane is now grey. What's up?

When I saw this thread thought he might fit in here.

Actually if the sire is a greyed out silver black it is very possible. I have a silver white stallion, most of his offspring whatever color they are born, are white by the time they are two. This includes a silver dapple black colt born this year who is already almost pure white.

I have had the same experience as Stormy. Here is our stallion: Lou Gins Dancing in the Rain -- obviously gray, but gray covers all, including silver. His dam was silver and 2 of 2 foals have been silver. He was born almost pure white. Most folks would call him "silver-white".

beamerw.jpg

Here is a foal from a palomino mare. Hannah is very obviously silver.

hannah2-035x.jpg

Here is a foal from a silver dapple (black) mare, so this colt could be homozygous for silver. He was born much lighter silver than most silver babies and by 3 months was completely white, just like his daddy. He does have dark freckling on his face and his hiney but no appaloosa in his background. Daddy has some freckling too as did his grandsire. Paternal line is Egyptian King.

3 days old

bentley2-020.jpg

3 months old

bent3m.jpg

With regard to the question about silver dapple horses getting darker, I find this to be quite common, especially in my (black) silver dapple. Seems to be seasonally related more than anything, with them getting quite dark during some portions of the year and more silverish at other times. Some of my silvers vary in their color throughout the year, while others of stay more constant. Go figure!

Robin C

[SIZE=14pt]If one parent is grey and one palamino then the likelyhood of your mare being a silver dapple is slim . She is probably some other color with dappling. Many silver dapples have white hairs in mane and tail. If she were grey which is a totally different thing from silver, she would have been born black or brown and gradually get more grey as she ages. Silvers are born silver pr a buff color and dont change much.[/SIZE]

Lyn
Actually, Silver Dapple/Silver Black is very possible from a Gray/Palomino cross. The Gray could easily have a Black base and the Palomino could easily carry Silver.

Many people do confuse and mis-use the terms Silver and Gray. A Gray horse can actually have any color base coat.

To get back to the original question, If your Silver Black/Dapple horse were going to go white/gray, it most likely would have done it at a much earlier age. A scattering of white hairs can be from a number of causes without resulting in a totally white horse.

Remember grey is not a color but a modifier, a grey horse is always born in a "normal" color, black, silver, perlino, really any color possible, but when is also has grey is will turn white, some fast some slowly.

Egyptian King is a silver that went grey, his lines have alot of grey and silver.

Egyptian King was born almost white and so are almost all, in fact all I have ever seen, of his offspring that are Silver White.

Silver seems to express differently when over Grey and the foals go white very very quickly.

There could of course be exceptions, this is not cast in stone, but I would have expected more of a result form any colour going Grey , by the time it was two years old.
default_smile.png

Thank you all for your replies.

Liberty is most definetly a silver dapple(silver black w/dappling). I have previously posted her picture and got I think a unanimous opinon that she was silver/black with dapples. I will keep an eye on her white hairs and let you know in a few months if more and more are appearing. I don't expect her to go white so these few white hairs are from something else.

I'll go home and see if I can get some pictures of her and post them. I know to see a picture is like they say "worth a thousand words"!!!

thanks to all!!

K. D.

Spring, TX

Egyptian King was born almost white and so are almost all, in fact all I have ever seen, of his offspring that are Silver White.

Silver seems to express differently when over Grey and the foals go white very very quickly.

There could of course be exceptions, this is not cast in stone, but I would have expected more of a result form any colour going Grey , by the time it was two years old.
default_smile.png
I have photos of Egyptian King as a yearling....and he actually still had his Silver Dapple coloring at that age...didn't look white yet at all, which I find unusual for a Silver-White. They usually turn white in a few months, if they aren't already born white.

Noticed a few sparsley arranged white hairs on my 2 1/2 yr old mare. Sire solid grey and dam is palomino. I had my mare tested for cream and she was negative. I know a gray can turn white but can my dappled silver black do the same thing? Her mane and tail are faxen color but I'm noticed a few gray hairs in her mane too.

thanks for your time!!!

I'll try for pics later; the white hairs are just single hairs very sparsely spaced over her back.

No one has even mentioned that the "gray" sire could very well be a Silver Dapple (not true fading gray). There are MANY Silver Dapples registered as simply "gray".
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Horses that have the "graying" gene, will gray out at different rates. Depends on a lot of factors how quickly this happens. Some gray out very quickly, while others will not even begin to gray for a few years & never gray out totally to white.

So...if your mare's sire, is indeed a "true gray"....it is possible that she is just one of those "late" starters in graying out.

But,....the white hairs your mare is getting "could" also be caused by the Sabino gene.
default_yes.gif
:

So, there are several possibilties here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dona can you put the picture up?? As he is a "historic" stallion I am sure it would be OK- I have only seen pictures, obviously, but all the ones I have seen have shown a white colt with some dappling around the rear end and legs- hence it took me YEARS to work out he was hiding Silver-
default_smile.png

Same with Bond Peppy Power- I wish people would get up to speed with these "hidden" colours and patterns- if you do not feel you can post it could you send it to me???
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

Sure Jane, I'll be glad to post it when I can find it. It's in one of my OLD Journals. I have a whole stack of them I bought at an auction years ago, back when they were the real small size. I'll have to go thru them to find it. I'll let you know when I do.
default_yes.gif
: If I remember right...it was a two-page spread of him with his front feet standing on a big rock.

Dona

I had one last year that had a silver dapple dam and a palomino sire and she turned white but then turned silver dapple just like her dam. I was sure that she was going to be a palomino like her sire but she sure fooled me.

Here are the 3 stages of her color.

Joyce

amazing_changes.jpg

But...in the middle picture she is clipped in the other two she just looks Silver Black????

Thanks a lot Jane, it took me a while to get the coffee off my monitor

DUMP THE CHECKREIN
:risa_suelos: :risa_suelos: :risa_suelos:
so, how do you REALLY feel about them??

I agree with you, in the three pictures above the middle one is what my silver dapple babies look like when I clip them. Of my 15 minis right now, 6 are silver dapple and one is silver bay. :new_shocked:

Sandee, about half of my silvers have gone darker as they get older. One mare in particular went from a bright silver with a white mane and tail to almost a chocolate by the age of 11. She is solid colored in the spring when clipped out, and by Nationals every year she has starburst dapples.

Robin C, the mare in your second picture looks like a very light silver bay--is it just my monitor? She has dark grey shading on her legs--it would sure explain her silver foal.

Robin C, the mare in your second picture looks like a very light silver bay--is it just my monitor? She has dark grey shading on her legs--it would sure explain her silver foal.
Trick of light -- late afternoon and in the shade to boot. She is absolutely, unequivocally a lovely shade of palomino. That being said, she could be hiding silver herself, but I do believe Daddy Beamer is the silver-provider here. He has sired 3 foals, all silver. I am hoping he is not homozygous for silver himself, but at this point have my suspicions with the revelation on this thread that Egyptian King was possibly a grayed out silver dapple. Beamer's top paternal line is great grandsire: Eqyptian King - then EK Pay Off --then a gray son of Pay Off -- then Beamer. All have been gray and silver status is ?. Every one of these stallions has silver foals to their credit in the AMHA studbook...although I take all colors from the studbook with a grain of salt. It is certainly conceivable though that a high percentage of foals listed as silver actually are, and many of the grays are truly gray but possibly silver (or both). At any rate, the gray gene is a given, and time will tell if Beamer produces only silver foals. He was bred to 5 mares this year: a different palomino and 4 black-based mares, so 2007 will give us a better idea as to what we can expect from him.

Like you, Dr Pam, I have a lot of silver in my herd...a double-edged sword. I like the color, but it would be nice to have something different from this stallion. Guess I can either get some bay mares (at least silver bay looks like a real color!), or use my black stallion more often (which would please him immensely!)

Robin C

Latest posts

Back