Is evening time, ok?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMiniGal

Reaction score
I have a question...I board Halo, at a ranch, that is around a 30 min. drive to and from it. So an hour driving time total. I also work. Now that it is staying light longer, I am hoping once the weather gets better, I will be able to get out there, in the evening time to be with her or even work with her a bit, in the round pen. I am wondering if evening time is ok to work with horses? Does it really matter what time of day, as long as you aren't doing it at feeding times?

Also, this past week, I found it hard to get to see her, but only 2 times. (Lost my Dad in October, and due to Easter coming up, my Mom really needed me more) I worry that she won't recognize me, or bond to me, when weeks like that happen. I know her and I have to build trust and respect. When I can't see her, I know she is being well taken care of. She has been paired up with a motherly older bigger horse, and is turned out with her. I am paying extra right now, to have her groomed daily, due to she is shedding so bad. Anyway, evenings may be the only time, for awhile, that I can get there and not every evening, due to it is so far away. Is twice a week, enough to build that trust and respect? On Saturday's or Sunday's, I will be able to spend several hours there. I'm just worried, her and I won't bond. She loves people, at this point. When she hears my voice, as I start talking to her, way before I even get to her, she comes to the fence and sticks her head through, so I know she is still recognizing me, but I honestly think she would do that with anyone that would do that, which is fine with me, as I want her to stay social. My goal is to make it two evenings a week, and one day during the weekend.I just feel guilty when I can't make it the 3 times, that I am striving for.

As long as her needs are being met she will be fine with you only getting there 3 x a week. Its you who will be sad I suspect. Horses don't forget those they know and have developed a relationship with and many people will tell you that even after many years of separation their old horse still knows them. Try not to worry to much, as long as she is being treated kindly and not suffering from neglect just because you are not personally taking care of her, she will still thrive. Many backyard horses don't even get actual one on one time as often as 3x a week and they are still healthy and happy - in fact I have one here who wishes I would just leave the food and let him be ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, she is definitely being taken care of. She is fed twice a day. They use hay bags, so I have never stopped by and had her to never have any food yet. She also is given some Purina Miniature Horse and Pony feed, in the evenings. Not much, really...just around a half cup is all. Once the Spring grass settles down, she will be turned out into a pasture and not a huge dry paddock, which I think is bigger than the round pen, so she has lots of room to romp and jump around, if she wants. So I know she is getting all she needs otherwise. I am just not use to having an animal, that is mine, and not have it here. We have 3 small dogs, a cat, and a bird, and I am so not use to not feeding something that is mine. So yes, it sounds like it will be more me having the issue. I just want a strong bond with her, and was thinking I needed to be there every single day, and I know there is no way for that to happen. May be some day, we will have property to have her here with me, but for now, this ranch is awesome. Have no qualms about it.

Teddy is also boarded, 20 minutes away, and we cannot get up the driveway when it has an snow on it. Living in Pittsburgh, that made this last winter a bit difficult. She will still recognize you and be ecstatic to get out and work, but I know Teddy developed some nasty attitude problems that consistent (3/4 times a week) work cured right away, so just know that might be because of some extra spunk.

Evening work is fine. I used to board my Arabian and the only time I could get out sometimes was in the evening. I remember some very, very nice rides, even coming in after dark a few times.

And now I'll be working my boys in the evening, as I work days and even though I live on the farm, still can't do much till after 6!

Oh, thank you all. You have all made me feel better. At least for spring, summer, we can do evening times. When winter hits again, I will have to try and make it earlier, as it gets dark so soon. Wish they wouldn't play around with the time change anymore. Since she is being allowed to be with other horses, she should have some of her spunk out of her...I hope. LOL

One of the rides I will always remember was about an hour or so before dusk. We were in the woods, I think it was late summer. Everything was all golden light - trees, leaves, grass. So peaceful. Probably my favorite ride of all time.

Another ride we met a fox out hunting in the tall grass. He looked at us, we looked at him. We kept riding, and he kept hunting. Kinda like two strangers passing on the street. We acknowledged each other and went on our merry way!

Other people on the planet do board their miniatures!!!! I board my guy out as well and I wouldnt have it any other way. As much as I want to have him live in our 200ft apartment and sleep in the middle, hubby wont allow it. (Men ruin all the fun!)

Anyway, its the quality of time you spend, not the quantity. My guy loveessssss his boarder (and I do too!) but, I am his person, no doubt in that. If he sees my truck he's waiting at the gate. If i drive a strange vehicle or a friend drives, etc, he doesn't do it. If he hears me in the barn, he will pace and whinny for me, and 95% of the time he will leave his buddies without even being called to come see me (He's a stallion btw with his "band" of a mare and a gelding!). If i do have to call him, he will usually lope over and whinny, just like a movie horse! The bond I have with him is very unique to any bond I've ever had with a horse - its just, different. Dunno how to explain it.

I get out there twice, maybe four times a week if i am lucky for maybe an hour and a half at the most. However, we do FUN stuff. Lunging, showmanship, grooming, "manners school," and sometimes just homework sitting in the corner of his stall. I don't let him walk all over me, in fact, I am probably the strictist person who handles him (the board owner is fantastic, but lets him walk out by himself, walk himself to his stall at night, etc, nothing bad, just, nothing to really discipline him for). You will have a strong bond with her if you put the effort in, not if you are the one to necessarily spend the most time with her.

I think most horses do fine with boarding situations in which they only see their owner a few times a week. If it didn't work reasonably well, there wouldn't be any boarding stables!
default_yes.gif
However, I do think there is some small percentage of the horse population that thrives best when all (or at least the bulk) of their handling, care and training is performed by one person. I think my riding mare belongs to this demographic...when she was "boarded" with my mom--with my mom providing the bulk of her care and me coming out to ride 2-3 times per week--she never seemed happy to see me and I did not feel like we had much of a bond. It's hard to explain precisely what gave me that impression except that she did not seem to have much desire to please me when I worked with her. Now I am her primary caregiver and she is still not always thrilled to see me (she's a crab by nature), but she does seem to have more "try" for me when I work with her. I think my mini, on the other hand, would be fine in a boarding situation--she's more of a "pleaser" by nature.

That said, we all do the best we can by our animals and that's all we can do!
default_wink.png
One size definitely does not fit all when it comes to housing arrangements and boarding is sometimes the best option for both horse and owner, as it sounds to be in the OP's case. Whatever time of day you can visit your horse should be fine (as mentioned, as long as it's not feeding time--most everyone gets a little cranky if taken away from their dinner!
default_laugh.png
).

Thank you...if we didn't live in the city limits, I would have her here. I have the perfect little studio, I could turn into a small barn, and if we took out our deck, she would have quite a bit of room, except there wouldn't be a round pent. Anyway, like you say, we do the best we can and she is at a great place. We went last night to see her and it was at feeding time, so we just hung out with her, while she ate, and decided not to even try and take her away from it. She seemed very bent on eating. LOL Didn't want to mess her up with that.

Latest posts

Back