Is Crystal pregnant?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystalsowner

Reaction score
Thought id give an update on Crystal. She is looking alot bigger then when I got her. Pretty sure she is pregnant. Little history I got this mare, Crystal on 6-19-2013. But she had been in with a stallion with her previous owner since 3-29-2013. Heres pics from today. Excuse the poo we use it for colic control help. And she loves to stand in it when I try and take her pic, haha.

2crt7d4.jpg

30wm680.jpg

2n6zntf.jpg

And cause she has such a cute head lol

5jtlk6.jpg

This was the day after I got her

bgwsvc.jpg

At this point I would say treat her as a pregnant made since you don't know.

It doesn't help that she has a long body to hide a pregnancy.

Does she have a bag at all?

She is furry, but shes actually a bit dampish and I brushed the hair down so you didnt see so much furr. But yeah I know the furr doesn't help.

Well I dont have experience with pregnant mares, and foaling, but we do breed goats But since she has had 7 foals in the past she has a "stretched" bag normally. So its hard for me to tell. I think it feels a little fuller, but not much.

Oh and something else that makes me think she is,is she is starting to look pretty sway back looking, it looks like that belly is really weighing her down. Not sure you can tell in the pics.

You just can't always tell, better safe than sorry as far as treating her like she is preg unless you find out differently. I know a person that had a pony getting fat and she put her on a major diet only to find out that one of her boarders (that owned the pony) had put the pony in with her stallion and then took her back out again without her knowing (this was many years ago)... Imagine her surprise at finding out the mare was bred. Boarder denied the whole thing.. but funny that the pinto mare foaled an appy colt when in a paddock with other mares.

On the other hand, she looks the same body wise as my gelding, so you cannot tell unless ultrasound or she bags up just visually. Many horses look preg (including geldings) when they get the winter woolies. LOL.

She is very cute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both. She is a cute, but a very fiesty personality but still behaved. I just love her. Just wish I knew. LOL I know her belly is growing, and her back is "sinking in" more as time goes on. But yeah who knows LOL

Some mares hide their babies better than others, and then some look like they are having twins or triplets and have a tiny foal. These little girls love to fool us all!

Some mares hide their babies better than others, and then some look like they are having twins or triplets and have a tiny foal. These little girls love to fool us all!
Mmhmm silly critters. LOL. Gotta love them. I gotta say I love my little gal so much.

If you don't have experience in pregnant mares and foaling, don't wait any longer! Start getting yourself ready and prepare for everything.

If you don't have experience in pregnant mares and foaling, don't wait any longer! Start getting yourself ready and prepare for everything.
Dont have experience in it personally having foals but my hubby has been a CVT for 20 yrs, and we have a vet friend that is gonna be around if needed. But because Im willing to learn what exactly do you mean?

Dont have experience in it personally having foals but my hubby has been a CVT for 20 yrs, and we have a vet friend that is gonna be around if needed. But because Im willing to learn what exactly do you mean?
Feed her a mare and foal feed. Have a foaling area prepared (ie, a stall in available with bedding such as straw near by to put in), have a foaling kit (available online), read reputable and UP TO DATE foaling books, keep an eye on your mare and learn the signs of imminent foaling.

Feed her a mare and foal feed. Have a foaling area prepared (ie, a stall in available with bedding such as straw near by to put in), have a verkit (available online), read reputable and UP TO DATE foaling books, keep an eye on your mare and learn the signs of imminent foaling.
Thank you, most of this we have already done. And I talked to a lady that knows a lady she had a foal with, and the lady said she foaled easily. That she walked outside one morning and it was all done. Shes has 7 foals already that we know of. But I watch her ALOT and check her everyday for any signs.

She's obviously not ready to "pop". Keep an eye on her bag for development. A proven broodmare usually starts bagging up a couple weeks in advance. You could also try feeling for the foal moving around. While she's eating, place your hands on either side of her belly and see if you feel anything. Foals are more active while their mom is either eating or drinking.

She's obviously not ready to "pop". Keep an eye on her bag for development. A proven broodmare usually starts bagging up a couple weeks in advance. You could also try feeling for the foal moving around. While she's eating, place your hands on either side of her belly and see if you feel anything. Foals are more active while their mom is either eating or drinking.
Yeah shes got at least about a month to go. She could have I think its up to 3 months to go. I feel for a bag almost every day. I have tried feeling her belly while she eats but she wont let me. Shes not used to being "touched" on a lot. I think she was mostly kept in a pen and left alone before she go to us. I thought I felt a little movement one time, but not sure

Take pics of her bag. It will give you reference to better judge if she is filling up or not.

If you do think she is pregnant I'd be concerned with the amount of road apples in the environment...I noticed you said you leave it there for colic control (I'm not sure how that will help with colic)...monitoring fecal output can be a good way to catch colic early and when there is a fair amount of stool in the corral that can be difficult to assess...the stool that is present is a source of bacterial contamination that could potentially pose a risk for mare and foal...sepsis is a real risk for the little ones...hope all goes great with her foaling...will be awaiting photos of the wee one....

Sandi

I live in a very sandy part of Arizona. Sand colic is a HUGE problem. Since horses dont leave the food in the feeders it ends up in the sand. With the poo there instead of the sand on the ground it helps with them eating the sand. I will ask my vet about what you are saying
default_smile.png
Thank you for the info.

Does you cant wait to see pics mean you think shes pregnant?

You do need to get her used to daily belly, udder and vulva handling not only for your benefit but for the foals. If for some reason she rejected the foal you need to be able to milk the mares colostrum. Also checking the milk will help let you know how close she is to foaling.

You also need to become acquainted with common foaling dystocias in minis as they are often more complex than regular horses - way less room to move around.

Also for her safety I would get a camera system already in place so you can monitor her without her knowing, many mares will wait until you go inside and then when you come back out to check she's in mid foaling or has already foaled with a good or bad result. Many foals don't escape the sack and suffocate as a result.

I would go ahead and spend the little bit of money and do a ultrasound or a Wee Foal 120 test.

Letting her foal on her own is not a great idea. I lost my first Mini foal, who couldnt break out of the sack and it suffocated. I have lost a couple over the years due to dystocia and WOULD have lost more had I not attended the births- either due to not quite positioned right or they would never have made it out of the tough membrane of the sack either.

Your mare is an aged mare, right? I notice that she has a bit of a belly in the one pic, and it's hard to tell, with all the winter hair, whether she is pg. or just continuing to age. Without a vet check, it's still only a guess in my opinion.

She obviously has a great home with you- glad that you love her.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back