IR Mare to breed or not to breed that is the question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwoodsnanny

Reaction score
I have a little mare who is 7 years old who hasnt been bred for a couple of years because I was nervous to breed her once she was diagnosed with IR. Can any of you tell me your experiences of breeding an IR mare is it too hard for the mare? Was the pregnancy successful? I really would like a baby from this girl but dont want it to compromise her or the baby in any way. Thank you in advance for your answers.

My 18 year old mare who is IR and also Cushings (discussed on the Cushings post) foaled a beautiful filly with no problem . The mare is getting 5 cups of Welsolve LS twice a day. I am soaking her coastal hay to get out the sugar. She is getting a little alfalfa daily. It has less sugar than the hay. We are not giving as much alfalfa to her as to our other broodmares. The foal seems to be doing well but the mare is not looking as good as my other mares. This mare never had a problem maintaining weight before . She was only diagnosed as being IR about 5 months into her pregnancy. I hope i don't have to wean the foal early and I will not be breeding this mare anymore,I would not have bred her if I had known she had cushings or was IR. She has not foundered yet which is a total surprise to my Vet,It is definitely a balancing act trying to keep the mare in good enough weight to be able to keep the foal on her. If you have other mares to breed then I don't think that I would breed the mare,although I know people that do breed IR mares. Good luck with what you decide to do.

Is IR not inheritable? Maybe I don't understand the issue exactly; why would one want to breed a mare with a diagnosed problem like that? Please educate me.
default_unsure.png

Which type of IR is she-the easy keeper or the type that loses weight? I have an old stallion with IR who I have the toughest time keeping any sort of muscle mass on. I feel like he eats as much as my big horse! Then I have an old mare with IR who is a very easy keeper. I have to watch her like a hawk and she has to stay on a very low calorie, low starch diet. If your young mare is like my old mare with the type of IR that makes her an easy keeper, I would possibly consider breeding her. I don't know what the research is on it being genetic-if it is believed to be then I wouldn't of course.

Which type of IR is she-the easy keeper or the type that loses weight? I have an old stallion with IR who I have the toughest time keeping any sort of muscle mass on. I feel like he eats as much as my big horse! Then I have an old mare with IR who is a very easy keeper. I have to watch her like a hawk and she has to stay on a very low calorie, low starch diet. If your young mare is like my old mare with the type of IR that makes her an easy keeper, I would possibly consider breeding her. I don't know what the research is on it being genetic-if it is believed to be then I wouldn't of course.

That is why I asked the question and I guess she isnt IR but her diet is. She is on thyroid L for under active thyroid but has been on same dosage now for 3 years and she is an easy keeper I do have to watch her weight I guess I will ask the vet as the reason I was interested in breeding her if it would not harm her or her baby was because she is one of my best mares. My vet will tell me I just wanted to know if anyone here had any experiences to share.

Yes talk to your vet to make sure you know of any risks the foal may have. Thyroid problems can make a pregnancy difficult and will make it harder for her to get in foal, but if managed correctly I know many people have success.

I have a little mare who is 7 years old who hasnt been bred for a couple of years because I was nervous to breed her once she was diagnosed with IR. Can any of you tell me your experiences of breeding an IR mare is it too hard for the mare? Was the pregnancy successful? I really would like a baby from this girl but dont want it to compromise her or the baby in any way. Thank you in advance for your answers.

Every situation is different, but you are asking for others experiences... I have a mare about the same age that is IR. We keep her condition under control with Well Solve grain especially formulated for IR horses, grass hay and Thyroid-L. I was concerned as well, because sometimes the pregnancy can make the IR worse. I had her blood sugar tested periodically to make sure she was receiving the right amounts of feed and meds and would adjust accordingly. She had a beautiful foal this year with no complications. Good luck.

There is a possibility that IR can be genetic, meaning that your mare could produce a baby who becomes IR. Having said that, my IR/Cushings mare produced 2 foals (prior to me owning her) and neither foal developed IR.

Hope this helps,

Liz R.

There is a possibility that IR can be genetic, meaning that your mare could produce a baby who becomes IR. Having said that, my IR/Cushings mare produced 2 foals (prior to me owning her) and neither foal developed IR.

Hope this helps,

Liz R.
Thank you to those who responded I will talk to the vet and see what he says.

Back