Introductory Stud Fees

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the average for unproven/1-2 foal proven stallion?

• Free

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $100-$200

• $200-$300

• $300-$400

• $400-$500

• $500-Higher

• Total voters

MtnShadowsFarm

Reaction score
I know there are MANY variables such as registry affiliation, pedigree, show record and geograhic area.

I'm interested in knowing what the AVERAGE is for those who introduce their stallions (for outside mares) who have no or only 1-2 babies on the ground.

Perhaps comments about what defines "PROVEN" might be helpful!!

Thanks,

Felicia

I voted based on what I plan to do, but it's good you are keeping in mind that if everyone voted, there's a huge huge range of types of stallions out there. From the "cute" ones to the accomplished show ones and everything in between. There are probably lots out there that could stand for free and wouldn't be worth the 11 mos!

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]I chose 500 and up. My stallion Sweet Tart is proven in the show ring. Multiple grand champion and National top ten as well as National All Star top ten..... He has proven himself in the ring but has not been used yet. I wont use a stallion that hasnt been at least a show grand champion.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Hmm interesting well I put what I would expect to pay.

For me proven means in the breeding shed period. I dont care what a horse has one if they cant pass on there best points it means nothing to me.

Dont get me wrong I love when I do well locally and take my ribbons and run screaming with glee all the way! However that said every area is different - on any given day competition is different in the ring..so it takes more then a ribbon to me as well.

I would expect to pay for a stud fee of well the stallions I have looked at and been interested in have been 1200-2500.

When setting a stud fee I think you need to look at.. if you plan on selling your own foals why would anyone give you more then 300 bucks for one of your own if that is all you are charging them to "make one"

If I have enough confidence in someone elses stallion to send my mare to.. I would expect it to be pretty pricey

Last edited:
In my thinking, "not proven" would mean that he doesn't have enough foals on the ground to judge what he passes on or not. Now that doesn't mean that you wouldn't take a chance on him if he comes from a good back ground.

However I have seen some top notch horses that are perfect in their own right that hasn't passes on anything to their foals. So for me to take a chance on one that I have no idea what he throws I would only pay $400 to $500.

Latest posts

Back