Introducing a foal into a well established herd

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyL

Reaction score
I am lucky enough to be buying a new filly very soon. When she comes home, she will only be about four months old.

I have introduced new horses into the herd before, but they have been older, and bigger than her. They are always separated at first, being able to see and smell over a fence. I will separate this filly from the older horses just like ever other time. But I am concerned cause I am bringing a baby into a well established herd of six horses all ages from 6 years to 12 years. Do you think that the other horses will accept the new girl, as long as I separate for a while first?

I don't want the herd to hurt her. Other than separating them at first, do you have any other suggestions to make the transition easier?

I am lucky enough to be buying a new filly very soon. When she comes home, she will only be about four months old.

I have introduced new horses into the herd before, but they have been older, and bigger than her. They are always separated at first, being able to see and smell over a fence. I will separate this filly from the older horses just like ever other time. But I am concerned cause I am bringing a baby into a well established herd of six horses all ages from 6 years to 12 years. Do you think that the other horses will accept the new girl, as long as I separate for a while first?

I don't want the herd to hurt her. Other than separating them at first, do you have any other suggestions to make the transition easier?
I would definitely NOT put her in the herd.I would make arrangements to put her in a field next to the herd for a while and then select a very loving docile mare as her buddy for a while.then put the 2 into the herd later.I would be concerned with the others picking on her and the possibility of her not getting the right amount of feed and hay unless she is being fed alone.IMO the older kids always pick on the smaller younger kids even in animals.Keep us posted on how things go.

For sure keep a close eye on them. While separated I think you will notice the horse from the herd that would work well for her.

But on the other side, I have found with my horses, they KNOW when it's a baby, and somehow know to be more careful, adjust a little easier and don't seem to pick so much. Mine are between 3 and 16. But all little herds are different, I just know mine will accept a baby before they will an older mare who may just be there to take their place in order.

Good luck, and just take notice.

Latest posts

Back