Interesting Homozygous Tobiano Pinto Pattern

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is really handsome fella!...

I think that is super neat marking..
default_wub.png

Now that is certainly interesting!!!! He appears that someone made a spot and then added some extra dots...... like etc......... Does he have a name fitting his interesting pattern? I can say I dont think I have ever seen one quite like that!

HOW FUN!!!
default_wub.png
I can almost guarantee your "Pizazz" will be a blue ribbon winner in Color Classes every time!!!

I just love him!!

What an amazing pattern and he is gorgeous!!

Susan O.

What is interesting to me about this colt is the variety of shapes and sizes to his markings.

He has freckle size and up, with odd shapes, not just circles.

It will be fascinating to see if he passes these on to his foals.

I follow the paint horse journal and have stared at a lot of paint horse photos, but none like this guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just love seeing the patterns on homozygous pintos. Some of them are SO stunning!! I had a little homozygous stallion that had quite a few 'freckles'...not as unique as your guys, but pretty close. Also, my 2 bay leopard appaloosa boys have typical bay heads (well...with spots) but solid white bodies with black spots. When they were born those spots were brown. Isn't clipping fun?!

Here he is as a newborn before we clipped him.

With the eye markings I would think he is also carrying sabino. But again I can not grasp that when looking at the parents.

He is, by the way, parentage qualified.

So I am completely confused as to how these bright red body markings have turned Jet Black!!!

Actually, it doesn't surprise me. As I'm sure you know, Bays are a black-based horse. How dark their body color is, depends on how much "Agouti" they receive. Lots of Bays will darken to almost black over their topside, and sometimes even all the way down their sides....leaving the lighter bay coloring to the flanks & head or muzzle. I have a Bay Leopard POA who has jet black spots on his upper body & on his lower legs....and some black AND red spots combined on his head.

Your little guy is definitely very striking!
default_wub.png

I agree with you Dona about the bays turning darker to what we call a black bay. The issue on this colt is that with our other horses the head also turned nearly black and so far this colt's head is not. He is still young though and I guess he could turn dark.

We have several horses here that you would call a black, though they are genetically a bay.

Here is a video that we took of him this week that has some better snapshots of his markings.

Pizzazz Video

We are certainly having fun with him. It is a kick to see so many different kind of spots on one horses.

All the variations in one location!
default_biggrin.png

Back