Interesting Homozygous Tobiano Pinto Pattern

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanne

Reaction score
We had a foal born this year with some unusual markings that I have never seen before.

His sire is a frame tobiano pinto. His dam is a splashed white tobiano pinto.

hatter8.jpg
panga2.jpg

This is the colt:

pizzazz1.jpg
pizzazz2.jpg

pizzazz4.jpg
pizzazz3.jpg

[SIZE=10pt]He has been tested and is homozygous for the Tobiano pinto gene, and Negative for the Frame (LWO) pinto gene. I believe he is also carrying splashed white from his dam. [/SIZE]

Any thoughts on what is causing these unusual markings???

[SIZE=10pt][/size][/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea about his markings, but I wanted to say he is a smashing looking chap!

[SIZE=10pt]My goodness.............he is a fascinating color and pattern! Never seen anything like that little fellow, I'd call him an Extreme Tobiano (if there is such a term!) I think you are right, there is some overo pattern in there, even though he's tested negative for LWO.[/SIZE]

Thank you for posting pictures of your colorful foals, it is always a learning experience to see what your pintos produce.

Wow now that is cool!!! I suspect something going on with the homozygous gene but just a guess
default_smile.png
So his head is bay and the spots are black???

I know years ago there was a pic someone showed me of a reverse pinto mini. Oddest thing I have ever seen.

Wow, very cool! Must have splash for those pretty blues since he's neg for frame... REALLY cool, and that's saying somethign since I prefer more color than white! ;)

default_smile.png
So his head is bay and the spots are black???

Yes Kay. I forgot to mention that. It is the only time I have had a "bay" horse that has black spots. And they are jet (non fading) black.

I have quite a number of black bays here and the heads on those horses are more black with just the muzzle nose area showing the bay. This guy has a typical bay head! ????

I do not understand this.....

Very unusual indeeed, but very nice Joanne.
default_smile.png
Reverse pinto - now that's a term I've not heard, but boy he sure looks like one to me..............

Actually, with knowing/seeing the colors of his parents, I really don't see too much "surprising" about his color/markings. About all I would say that might be different, is that that mark below his left eye might be due to a sabino gene which he may carry as well. The rest of him looks to be a maximum white pinto with the dark "paw print" spots.

Here he is as a newborn before we clipped him.

With the eye markings I would think he is also carrying sabino. But again I can not grasp that when looking at the parents.

He is, by the way, parentage qualified.

So I am completely confused as to how these bright red body markings have turned Jet Black!!!

RtWeb-1.jpg
LtWeb.jpg
HeadWeb.jpg

And Equuisize we named him Pacific Pizzazz !

That was what I thought when I saw him.

"He has got Pizzazz!"

Last edited by a moderator:
He certainly is a stunning colt !!!

Joyce

Little Folks Farm

default_wub.png

default_firstprize.gif

WOW, Joanne he is awesome.

I am so glad you posted pics of him. What a neat pinto pattern.

He definatly has that "Pizzazz!
default_wub.png

Pretty boy. He looks a lot like my stallion Phantom. Phantom has a crooked half black face, One blue eye, a chest shield and white body with multiple round body spots. No appy in his lineage though. Phantom is LWO- , and homozygous for pinto, I am betting splash too. We are expecting 2 foals for sure in 2010, and need to check one more mare. Can't wait to see these foals by Phantom.

Robin

He certainly is interesting, but patterns do not change colour and I think what you are seeing here is more likely a "condensing" of colour that often happens in Appies.

So the "black" spots, that are quite undeniably, visually, black, would in fact test Bay.

Either that or , Joanne, you have been out there with the indelible laundry marker
default_new_rofl.gif

May I take his picture over to ECF...or maybe you could bring it??

Love the color patterns!

He reminds me a lot of my Royal M Freckels, who is tobiano and splashed white for sure.

DSC_6492-1.jpg

DSC_6500copy.jpg

DSC_6503.jpg

Jane I show ECF down for repairs. You are welcome to post the photos there if you can get on.

Latest posts

Back