Insurance When Showing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
When the MHCO and AMHR sanctioned shows ask for proof of $2 000 000 insurance, is that just the liability insurance? If I'm a member of the OEF, is that all that is required -since it covers you for either $2 000 000 or $5 000 000-?

Yes, it used to be you had to be a member of OEF to show with MHCO they changed this last year.

Thanks guys! I may see some of you at a show or two this summer
default_wink.png

Would being a member of the FEQ(Federation Equestre de Quebec) also cover you if you showed in Ontario or should I pay to be a member of OEF? We only have a $1,000,000 liabilty insurance on the farm, not 2 million.

Yep OEF

Can't wait to see you out showing.

Im at almost every show on this side of ontario 4 hours and closer LOL.

Ill be at 13 this year here
default_biggrin.png

One thing I will clarify here. Is that if 2 people are registered as owners of the horse on the registration papers then you both have to have insurance on that horse. In our case Maureen and I are both registered as owners on the registration papers. That meant that we both had to have a membership in the OEF. Check with the MCHO for clarification.

KenBen

Shana -- you can increase your farm liability to 2 million for about 40.00 per year. It is quite inexpensive to add on.(At least here it is that way).

Would being a member of the FEQ(Federation Equestre de Quebec) also cover you if you showed in Ontario or should I pay to be a member of OEF? We only have a $1,000,000 liabilty insurance on the farm, not 2 million.
Shana, you'd be best to check with the FEQ directly. I'd hate to see you come to a show and then not be allowed to enter. Or, if you plan to show in ON a fair bit, it might be worth it to just get the OEF membership anyway. There are lots of other benefits, too, besides insurance. Check out their website which I think is www.horse.on.ca .

Can't wait to see you all
default_saludando.gif

Matt, I didn't know that you were in Ontario
default_smile.png

Yep, sure am. I'm in Petrolia (an hour or so west of London). Isn't Sutton close to Big Bay Point? My ex had a cottage there
default_smile.png

One thing I will clarify here. Is that if 2 people are registered as owners of the horse on the registration papers then you both have to have insurance on that horse. In our case Maureen and I are both registered as owners on the registration papers. That meant that we both had to have a membership in the OEF. Check with the MCHO for clarification.

KenBen

Thanks for that KenBen. In my case, my partner and I are shown as "or" for the ownership-ie. Jack or Jill-. He wouldn't be showing. Does he still need insurance? He's not the horsey one
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe so as you are both owners. I didn't show but Maureen did. We still both had to have coverage for that particular horse. Hope this helps.

KenBen

Thanks I'll probably become a member of OEF since I show more in Ontario then Quebec. I showed a number of years at the Tulip Arabian Horseshow and I hope to go to some miniature shows this summer. Though will talk with my hubby as he may prefer to put another million liability on the farm instead.

Thanks I'll probably become a member of OEF since I show more in Ontario then Quebec. I showed a number of years at the Tulip Arabian Horseshow and I hope to go to some miniature shows this summer. Though will talk with my hubby as he may prefer to put another million liability on the farm instead.
50.00 for membership is pretty good for 5 million dollars worth of insurance. For an extra 20.00 you can get 4000.00 coverage for your horses.

KenBen

Latest posts

Back