Information please.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peggy

Reaction score
I am from the miniature horse board and a friend of mine just bought two miniature donkeys. I am trying to help him find all that he needs, halters,etc. One is only 3 months old and the other is 9 months old-both Jacks. Do you use the horse halters on them> What about grooming-baths and clipping in summer? Halter training? Is it the same? These are the cutest little things and they have a great home. They are both registered.

Thanks for any help you can give us?

Peggy

Hi,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Longears! Your friend is going to love them!

They can wear the horse halters, they fit a little odd but will work.

My donkey doesn't like getting wet.
default_rolleyes.gif
: He does get a bath just before a show but if it is raining.....he is IN his barn.

I do clip him. When he starts shedding out, he looks like he has "old man" eyebrows!

As far as any type of training.....you have to approach it differently. Donkeys get tagged as being stubborn. They really aren't. They are all for life preservation. If they think it might hurt them...they are NOT going to try it. You have to work with them, slowly, at their pace. You do have to be persistent and stand your ground. If you take your time and show them what you want, it usually works the best. Patience is the key word here. They are smart little boogers and learn pretty quick.

One word of advice....if she doesn't intend to use them for breeding, geld them. It is best for all involved. Jack's can be tempermental and in the right (or wrong) circumstance, can be dangerous.

HI, and WELCOME to the donkey forum. Minimule has given you some very good advice about donkeys. The only thing I can repeat is the trianing..donkeys are so often thought of as being stubborn and impossible to work with. They are not stubborn, just extreamly curious, and if they feel something is not safe to do--they will not do it until they are 110% positive about it. So many people give up on donekys because of this, when a donkey dont learn its not the donkeys fault but the one traning them...usually they dont understand the mind of a donkey. Good luck and I am sure your friend is going to LOVE haveing longears!
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
: They are so irresistible :bgrin
default_wub.png
: Corinne

I cheat with training. If Dyfra does it... my Jenny will do it, even though she has never done what ever I am asking. As long as Dyfra does it first. :lol:

She was in the last Brayer... Ella and the Tarp. <LOL>

Minimule & Peggy gave good advise. Just take your time... Donkeys like to think things over, sometimes for what seems to be a veryyyy long time.

These folks put out training Videos for Donkeys and mules.. might be worth a look. They also have training shows on RFDTV.

http://www.luckythreeranch.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back