Info on the 2006 AMHA national convention

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfmini

Reaction score
American Miniature Horse Association

5601 S. I-35W w Alvarado, TX 76058 w Phone: 817-783-5600 ext. 320

Dear AMHA Directors,

The AMHA Annual Meeting is quickly approaching. In planning, we have focused on making this Annual Meeting affordable for AMHA members and have been able to negotiate several discounts with American Airlines and Hertz. Here is the information on the available discounts:

Name Discount Code Contact Information

American Airlines 5% off lowest published airfare 7926AX 1-800-433-1790 or

www.aa.com

Hertz Special AMHA rate CDP#1009546 www.hertz.com

Free car class upgrade PC#962146

Please take advantage of these discounts and share them with the members in your region. This information along with the schedule and a comprehensive list of things to do in Orlando, is available online at http://www.amha.org/index.asp?KeyName=210. An email newsletter containing all pertinent information on the Annual Meeting will be going out to all AMHA members as well.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Alison Elrod

Marketing Manager

American Miniature Horse Association

www.amha.org

For more information, visit us online at www.amha.org.

So, anybody thinking about coming?

I was planning to go early and do some Disney treks, but it seems my usual travel buds won't be coming. Just wondering who is planning to come.

I am going even if I have to go alone, I may not get the chance again so I am doing it this time.

I was hoping to go, but haven't worked out the logistics yet - ie - two kids, hubby and horses to manage first.

I actually wanted to bring my kids, but AMHA Conventions aren't the most family friendly events. (not blaming them particularly, as I haven't volunteered to help with anything!) I just know my 17 year old I think would enjoy some of the educational things and the voting, but my 10 year old . . . and my hubby - not horsey at all! So, I don't want the pressure of Disney from them, when I want to attend meetings, catch up with people, etc.

I do hope anyone that can attends, they are really important to go to, especially if you want to understand the hows/whys of the organization.

does amha ever rotate the convention?? Ive never seen it in the midwest??

I will be there, but Carol and Lauren will not get to attend. I may go early to deliver some horses and do some things, too. Jody, maybe we can keep each other company.

The conventions do move... Minneapolis last year, San Diego, Portland, St. Louis, Memphis, San Antonio, Las Vegas, Orlando and Scotsdale are a few that I remember off hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to go , but not sure at this point.February is very difficult weather wise.Unpredictable. I liked it better when meeting was in November. I almost always got to go then.When I plan to go in Feb we usually get a big snowstorm.One year we got 24 inches of snow and Baltimore airport was closed until the meeting ended.Luckily I got a refund on my tickets.Still hoping I can get there.I am intered in the closed registration proposals.I keep re -reading to better understand.

We are planning to go.
smile.gif
Me, hubby Frank and sister Becky. I'm afraid we won't have extra time for sight seeing as we will have mares close to foaling and need to get back home quickly.

Sure hope we get to meet some forum members there!

Charlotte

I recently joined AMHA and thought I won't be able to attend convention, I would like to get involved. How does one get started getting into things? How would I go about getting information about things that are going on, like the closed registration proposals that bevann mentioned. I live in North Mississippi. There aren't very many AMHA sanctioned shows nearby. The last one was in Memphis, TN and I could not go as I was picking up three horses that weekend.

Thanks,

Stacye

The easiest way to get involved is to come to the conventions, and join some committees, or at least attend the meetings and observe. The rule change proposals are published in the Miniature Horse World.

Tony, that sounds like a possible plan to me! Hope I am more mobile by then, I am back on crutches for the 4th time in a year and a half!

Kay, the convention does move, but I do have to say we did vote to go to warm places! Minneapolis was COLD!!!! Not much of a vacation on that trip, stayed in the hotel the entire time.

Since it's practically in my back yard, I'm planning on going. Abby Conder from Conder Minis is, too. We're going to take a "barn break", stay over together and leave our respective husbands home to mind the stores.

Robin C

Jody & Tony,

As you two are knowledgable about AMHA and the Committees, can you give a bit more info out here? When I was at the Convention in Portland, I really didn't have a clue about the different Committees, in fact didn't know we could attend all their meetings until the second day we were there!

I know some committees are open some have to be voted on or ? What are the responsibities as far as meetings, etc. I was never clear on that - is it in the rule book?

I'm sure others here would like to know how to get invovled with AMHA too.

I remember how informative and FUN the convention in Portland was...especially getting to meet so many of you and giving Jenn and Kendra the susanne tour of Portland!

Someone needs to organize a pizza party (or other gathering) where everyone can mingle and meet.

I wish I could come, but a cross-country trip is not in the offing for me.

I will be there Sat and Sun for sure,, dont know if I can get off work for Thu and Fri yet. Its drivable for us, so we will just commute.

Generally speaking all the committees are open to everyone to attend. There are times when the Finance & LOC (Licensed Official Committee) have to go into closed session, but for the most part visitors are welcome. LOC and Show Rules are elected at the Convention, with some being retained on the committees. Other committee sign-up sheets are on tables at the convention where you can sign up to serve. Because some get more than is a "handlable" number, the committee chairman chooses those to serve after the convention. From the sheets the chairmen are elected by the Board of Directors on Sunday after the Convention, then the committee members are selected the next few weeks.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Beverly and I are planning to attend, if it works out with our foaling dates. This will be our first and we are looking forward to it.

Everyone should try to go to Arabian Nights,, if you have never been, it will be a real treat.

Chief Bear Paw is really neat if he is still performing there.

The horses are very talented and beautiful. And it is fun to watch.

They have a website with all the information. And you can get discount tickets if you order ahead,, just do a google search "Arabian Nights dinner and show" and all the info will come up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could go! I have the days at school to take off, but I also have a three year old daughter and two teen-age boys. What sort of things are there for kids?

Oh, and I haven't recieved my first issue of MHW yet, sfminis, so I hope I didn't come across as sounding simple-minded! When do you think I'll get one? (Joined AMHA in October and just got my membership information back in mid-Nov)

Stacye

angelridge said:
Everyone should try to go to Arabian Nights,, if you have never been, it will be a real treat. Chief Bear Claw is  really neat  if he is still performing there.

The horses are very talented and beautiful. And it is fun to watch.

518520[/snapback]

I agree!!! I went several years ago and absolutely loved it! Couldn't believe that at the end of the show, when they turn all the horses loose, I just sat there and watched for a long time, like I had never seen horses just being horses before!!!

Latest posts

Back