Indy ~ TESTING READY!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
Its been a while sense I updated on Indy, mostly because its been such a struggle with her placentitis issue. She started with it at day 145 and has been being treated for MONTHS now
default_smile.png
Thankfully we are at day 297 and doing GREAT.

Over the past few months she has developed more and more of an udder, however never yet has produced milk. Vulva did get long at one point but Thankfully we were able to get her past that episode.

Ive been educating myself on all things placentitis, including foaling and post foaling care. Ive read that red bag incidents can be higher in the placentitis mare so I am going to be very diligent in her foal watch. I would really appreciate any and all help keeping eyes on her as she gets closer... I have ordered seramune, as a precaution, and have read all I can get on red bag deliveries.

I do have questions about red bag that I havent seemed to get full answers on, so any help on that would be wonderful also.

Does the mares water break with a red bag?

Ive also read that compromised foals tend to come on the early side so I am stalling Indy at night now.

She is a maiden mare also... Here are the pictures I have from today, day 297...

6.8.14 002.jpg

6.8.14 005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No water gushes out like in a regular delivery, as the whole placenta has separated from the uterus. Once you cut through the red bag (VERY carefully), and tap the amniotic sack, you will see the water come.

With her history so far, I think you are being prudent to be watching her closely. We want this little one to come safely to the ground!

Thank you Diane! I am so excited for this foal... Seems like the longest wait Ive had with a mare. Wednesday will be day 300 and I am so excited she has held on this long....
default_smile.png

I'm very excited for you too. Can you take a picture or two of her -- I'd love to see how she looks since on the cam all I can do is see down on her!

Sure will, stay tuned for an update
default_smile.png

Ok day 299 after all day turn out, udder going up and down from day to day. Belly starting to drop, lots of clear fluid from udder no milk yet.

6.10.14 006.jpg

6.10.14 008.jpg

Her udder is developing nicely, and her tummy is looking very good! Can't wait to see this little one after your long and busy wait!

She's sleeping flat out and resting quietly. So cute.....she's running in her sleep....like a puppy does.

And so nice she potties all in one place! Good girl!

Last edited:
Her udder is up quite a bit, i think we are starting the normal up & downs now. Its been hard trying to figure out whats placentitis udder and what is normal for the gestation... I have noticed she is doing more butt rubbing the last couple days and I know its normal for this time frame, just really wanting her to hold on another 3 weeks...

Most of my mares have been foaling in the 325-335 range as well as other mares that have been bred to my stallion. Today Indy is at 300.

6.11.14 007.jpg

Even at 300, baby should be fine. But we'll pray with you that she gives a few more weeks to let baby grow a bit more. But not to worry. Even if born now, all should be well and healthy.

She REALLY likes the back of her stall. Most of the time all I can see is her fanny and legs. Tell her to move a bit closer to the camera so we can see more of her beauty! (Maybe tipping the cam up a little bit, with give us more of her to see. Although we can certainly see the whole stall this way -- just not all of HER! ) LOL

Do you think it will still be ok given she is a full size mare ( 14 hh) and bred to 11.3 hh pony ? The earliest Ive seen a pony born was 311 and she was fine.. Just makes me nervous I guess...

Her hay bin in on that back wall so she will stand back there and munch. I am working on getting a new barn, and the new stall will be taller so should be able to see more of them next foaling season, so excited!

Her udder went down a bit after turn out today, though not as down as last night...

Definitely safer than breeding a smaller mare to a bigger stallion.

Looking forward to seeing what shes been hiding.

Happy & safe foaling to you
default_yes.gif

Thank you Ryan, I agree Ive always felt more comfy breeding my small stallion to bigger mares for the sport pony crosses. I am getting excited now that its getting closer too...

Oh and I wanted to show yall how Kates filly has turned out, she is super cute now!She has really taken after her daddy, with her mommas roaning...

filly 1.jpg

5.3.14 018.jpg

Oh, she's beautiful. Nice movement, too.

Yes, I think she'll be fine. Breeding to a smaller stallion is the safest, and anytime we can get over 300 days, we know baby has made it past the premature point. So, every day she hangs on is a day better, but baby should not have any of the prematurity problems if born now.

Thank you Diane, I wasnt sure, I am really hoping we get another 3-4 weeks. The past 2 days her udder has grown significantly and her vulva has gotten deeper pink, slightly longer.

Ive not dealt with this issue before so am concerned and trying to learn as much as I can...

6.11.14 020.jpg

6.11.14 022.jpg

I'm not thinking you will get another 3-4 weeks, her udder is definitely growing nicely, but hoping she'll give you a bit more time.

Can you take a picture of her vulva, so we can see how she's elongating? That might give me an indication of how fast she is progressing.

well I dont have a before Vulva pic to compare to but its longer than it was, it was a tight small thing, now more normal looking? lol...

udder back down a bit tonight... every day I feel like we dodged a bullet
default_smile.png

6.11.14 164.jpg

6.11.14 166.jpg

I agree with Diane , I don't think you will have to wait 3 weeks. She is elongating nicely & her udder is looking a treat.

Shes such a lovely Mare Holly
default_yes.gif

Thank you Ryan... I adore her. She is a sweet mare and love attention. I really hope to get a pinto foal from her, Ive never had a pinto born here so if she thows color it will be our first!

She's elongating beautifully! Some good rolls to move that little one a bit forward of center, and she should go!

Praying for an uneventful delivery of a healthy PINTO baby!

Latest posts

Back