IMHR

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minimor

Reaction score
I'm curious--I came across a show bill for an AMHR approved show that is open to " any horse registered with the AMHR or IMHR " and I had to wonder what the IMHR is, who registers their horses with IMHR, and will AMHR actually approve a show that has horses that are non-AMHR and only IMHR registered? That surprised me.

I have no idea who IMHR is but yes you can have a sanctioned AMHR show with classes for non AMHR registered horses.

I just went to one over the weekend they have alot of grade horses here and even mules and donkeys and my ponies LOL

They offered Liberty -Halter, Driving, Hunter- Obstacle and I think driving obstacle and pairs driving for non AMHR rated horses under 48 inches along with the required AMHR classes but of course they could not show in any rated class without papers

In the UK we have an International Miniature Horse and Pony Society (IMHPS).

Anna

I'm curious--I came across a show bill for an AMHR approved show that is open to " any horse registered with the AMHR or IMHR " and I had to wonder what the IMHR is, who registers their horses with IMHR, and will AMHR actually approve a show that has horses that are non-AMHR and only IMHR registered? That surprised me.
The IMHR was a registry that existed in the late 70's & early 80's. It was the International Miniature Horse Registry. Buckeroo won his first National Grand Championship at the IMHR show. The IMHR merged with the AMHA around '83. Most horses that had IMHR papers are deceased, but that wording lingers on in some places.

that's what I was thinking, that maybe IMHR is the old registry that merged into AMHA. I couldn't remember for sure what the letters were--and I couldn't see why it would be mentioned now as part of an AMHR show. But, this particular show has an AMHA show the day after the AMHR show, so perhaps it was just a carryover in their show book--someone changed the wording from AMHA to AMHR but forgot to delete that part. That would make sense. The way it was worded, though, there were no non-rated classes--it appears that the intent is to have IMHR horses (assuming there are any!) in the AMHR classes with the AMHR horses and I didn't think that would be acceptable to AMHR. I really wouldn't expect that there are any IMHR horses that will be shown anyway.

Lisa--that's good to know. I'd asked about that sort of thing last year, about offering a few classes for non-registered ponies, just for the sake of letting an exhibitor show his pair of non-papered shetlands. They're nice ponies and would give people a chance to see something a bit different--we don't have anyone else showing ponies in harness here (maybe next year, but it won't be a pair, just singles)--but someone on our committee said no, that wouldn't be acceptable. Not sure if she meant unacceptable to the registry, or just to other exhibitors. That's a good way to add some numbers to a show, though--neat to have the mules and donkeys as well as ponies.

I figured it was an international registry years ago, when I saw it on the papers of a few of my AMHA horses.

But, isn't there a NEW group of "international" horses...??
default_unsure.png

This is what our South Texas Pinto Club is doing. WE have open classes for non registered horses. Halter, drivng, performance, jumping, color, solids classes etc. The past year their have been so many entries (and growing) the open classes are making more money than the Pinto Classes. WE also do playdays during the year. Games and such and anyone can come and win prizes and have fun.

We also have a Futurity Class for weanlings at our Pinto Shows in November that pays money, and also have one for non registered - open classes. Most shows are in Sequin, Tx. PLAYDAYS close to this area, usually in New Berlin.

Latest posts

Back